How to repair speakers

Options
Hello , I am new here, I have some polk speakers that are not putting out as they should;
the 2 ex602a speakers are very faint
as is the left ex402a
is this a wireing issue or a speaker issue?
what can i do to fix it. Thank you for looking
pictures attached
uv7az9s1283b.jpgnv3xiev5ykmt.jpg
pcgnazbzfb6u.jpg
udumnh4w58rp.jpg
5aajukshqv2w.jpg
2a4qs90p88yt.jpg
rbj27dlusx4m.jpg
ouaxevtbp2tw.jpg

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. Probably the best bet is to find one of the speakers that seems to be working correctly. Then, one-at-a-time connect each of the other speakers to this connection. Then you will know which speakers are okay. From there take one of the working speakers and connect it to all of the other sets of wires. Keep the playing volume set low for all of these tests, just enough to hear some undistorted sound.
    Regards, Ken
  • frodo
    frodo Posts: 4
    Options
    process of elimination, thanks for the advice, I will do as you suggest and get back with my findings
    Frodo
  • frodo
    Options
    I removed the speakers, and unplugged them. and did like you said.

I learned something.

couple of days ago i had 2 small speakers that were in a tread mill. that i tore apartand turned into a brass tumbler. uth7md5u01i6.jpg
    I added the 2 speakers. [see 1st picture, 1st post]

I pig tailed them off of the bottom speakers, positive to pos and neg to neg

evidently, the stereo is not putting out enough ? t4ay8f5qxcfh.jpg
    to run both speakers, when hooked up the small speaker works and the big one does not.

I unhooked the 2 extra speakers till i find out how to correctly wire them

does this sound right?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, you have connected them in parallel and the impedance will be around 2 ohms. At this point it might be a good idea to work with the original speakers until you determine which ones are working, or if there is a problem with the head unit.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Probably even less than 2 ohm at certain frequencies. That's asking quite a lot from a car head unit, hopefully it's still good.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • frodo
    Options
    cihfjasbl5sr.jpg

wired correctly, and working

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4htid9yh9aaf.jpg

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    frodo wrote: »
    I removed the speakers, and unplugged them. and did like you said.

I learned something.

couple of days ago i had 2 small speakers that were in a tread mill. that i tore apartand turned into a brass tumbler. uth7md5u01i6.jpg
    I added the 2 speakers. [see 1st picture, 1st post]

I pig tailed them off of the bottom speakers, positive to pos and neg to neg

evidently, the stereo is not putting out enough ? t4ay8f5qxcfh.jpg
    to run both speakers, when hooked up the small speaker works and the big one does not.

I unhooked the 2 extra speakers till i find out how to correctly wire them

does this sound right?

A brass tumbler? Wow that is very Macgyver of you , sounds like something that I would have tried before I got lazy and stoopid.