Tandberg 2075 MKII

Options
I am in the market for a vintage receiver. I sorta want to stray from the usual Marantz, Pioneer etc offerings. I ran across this Tandberg and it looks pretty solid. From what I can mine from the net it seems to be a desirable vintage brand. Would anybody here own one or have had owned one?
2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.

Comments

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    No experience with that model, but my dad had a similar Tandberg during late 70's and 80's that was sweet on some ESS AMT1's and a cool looking Teac A-650 tape deck. The rotary knobs could get noisy, but deoxit would fix that. Good sound, just not a lot out there if you need parts or repairs.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Tandbergs look and sound great; they have outstanding tuner sections and more subtle and sophisticated tape I/O circuits than virtually any other receivers of their time (as befits a company best known for tape decks).

The downside to Tandberg is a certain reputation for reliability/breakdown issues; parts may be hard to very hard to find.

The 2075 (suffixed or unsuffixed) was a superb receiver overall, though, make no mistake about that. A good notch above the Japanese mass market brands of the era from my perspective.

18457501830_de266b331a_b.jpgGMM Receivers p2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The innards of a 2075 (not mine, unfortunately -- as is probably pretty clear from that non-US mains plug):

2ykthgez1lgh.jpg

There is one Tandberg Rx here -- kind of scratch and dent, but it does a fine job of sittin' and lookin' nice in that sexy Scandinavian way :- )

13380748824_a7d2612c71_b.jpgScott and Tandberg by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Thank you for the information, Mark.

And what a coincidence, I had a good childhood friend with the name Mark Hardy.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Probably not me :-P
    (unless you happen to be from B-more... and, even then...)