Volume control via remote add on?

Options
Typing with one hand right now, please excuse the grammar. I have a crown XLS2500 professional amp paired with a Sony UDA-1 dac for my LSI9's. The Sony is advertised as a preamp but it does not have volume control for the line out. Do I need a new pre amp or is there anything I can to the setup?

The sony has a headphone out, since the crown is pro amp can I get a rca converter? The hp out, dos have volume control.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    The Sony is advertised as a preamp but it does not have volume control for the line out.

Well no, it's an integrated amp/DAC.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You use a source device to control volume. A computer....music service.....phone. How are you using this.....whats your source for music ?

Seems to me the Sony was meant for a desk top solution, not a main rig one.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Cbale
    Cbale Posts: 8
    edited October 2015
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Sony is advertised as a preamp but it does not have volume control for the line out.

Well no, it's an integrated amp/DAC.

Ha I guess I shouldn't have brought it up, my point was that it is listed as Preamp as one of the functions. But there is no volume control. So it's really just dac. Just wanted to avoid any confusion.
  • Cbale
    Cbale Posts: 8
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    You use a source device to control volume. A computer....music service.....phone. How are you using this.....whats your source for music ?

Seems to me the Sony was meant for a desk top solution, not a main rig one.

Exactly, I have a broken hand right now so typing w one is a pain. But yeah its for desktop use but looks and sounds great and would match my crown. Caveat being that the line out skips all the internals excep the dac.

I'm using lsi9's, xls2500, surface pro, xbox one, roku for when i feel like im being a power hog. surface pro just for live tv. I think the surface gain works on some programs for others its cut out due to external dac.

Just moved so i have several options including no crown or sony and just receiver with my kef q300's. I think that might be the winner unless theres some simple add on I don't know about for IR and volume control.

again thanks for ny help.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Sorry about the broken hand, that's gotta suck big time.

You might want to check if Sony has any online apps to control it. More than likely it would have a volume control. Any of these online volume controls though sound like garbage, too noisy to my ears anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable