Matt Polk's Threshold SA/12e power amplifiers.

Hello,
To describe this as a rare opportunity would be an understatement. Here is the chance to own a sequentially numbered, Nelson Pass designed 250 watt mono-block power amplifiers that, until recently, were used by Matthew Polk. They are serial numbers #03309 and #03310 and have been checked out for power and distortion. These are class A amplifiers that require at least 8 amperes of available current per amplifier and certainly need adequate ventilation. They weigh 135 lbs. each. The selling price is $3,500.00 per pair and there is a Threshold line stage preamp that is available as well for a combination price.
This price is for a Baltimore pickup only, there's no provision for shipping, however I will consider bringing them to meet a reasonable distance away. I don't have the ability to demonstrate them, it's all I can do to get them from one side of my basement to the other.
Regards, Ken04t44wtxol3p.jpg
05fi8vpdta67.jpg
4p91s9wl1xoj.jpg
wvxcio48k6y0.jpg
ww6yyq6vdzjo.jpg
2g7nuhyboq91.jpg

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Even without their provenance, this seems like an excellent opportunity!

I even know the way to B-more, but I think I'd have to reinforce the floor in my hifi loft to install them there...
  • It could certainly warm your tootsies on those cold New England winter nights.
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Would you consider Santa Monica California a reasonable distance? :)

Why is all this great stuff on the "Wrong side of the Country"
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    It could certainly warm your tootsies on those cold New England winter nights.

Heck my SE 2A3 amp'll do that -- but, that said, I'll bet these Threshold amps are superb.

Mrs H would not be pleased if I sprang for 'em, though...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    No wonder Pass gear and Polk sound so good together. I wonder if these amps were used when giving voice to the TL's.

What on earth would he replace these with?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    PM sent
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Ken. After txcoastal. Let me contact my 4th and 5th gen relatives out there and intro myself to them. If it goes well and they will ship, I will take it. No hesitation. Ha

halen
  • txcoastal1
    I want to work a project with Russman
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    I believe I got to hear these at the Polkfest at Polk HQ. I also believe that I own the ARC SP16L pre-amp that was being used to drive these. If so, they made a pair of LSi9's sound like none I've heard before that or since.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Those are sweet....
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    That there is some drool-worthy eye candy!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    congratulations
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Congrats on the quick sale guys.
  • txcoastal1
    Yeah these will stay with Polkies for a loooong time. I'm going to have them refreshed. Excited about the provenance, was really a no brainer.

Thanks guys

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Wow very nice, congrats!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited October 2015
    DSkip wrote: »
    I know it was important to Matt that these amps would stay in the family and continue to give enjoyment. Nelson Pass and Matt Polk, great combination.

Believe me, these will stay in the family. They may never leave the Texas Polkie brethren again.

this comment gave me a visual of Skip controlling Ron like a puppet from his control center...
    "Ron you shall buy these amps and bring them over to the next get together and conveniently forget to take them home."
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    msg wrote: »
    I know it was important to Matt that these amps would stay in the family and continue to give enjoyment. Nelson Pass and Matt Polk, great combination.

Believe me, these will stay in the family. They may never leave the Texas Polkie brethren again.

this comment gave me a visual of Skip controlling Ron like a puppet from his control center...
    "Ron you shall buy these amps and bring them over to the next get together and conveniently forget to take them home."

Close they will be blowing Skip out of bed right under his room at LSAF next May
    that's where they will debut

• msg
    haha, good stuff, good stuff.

seriously though, Ron, congrats on this pair. what a fantastic bit of history and development there. kind of at a loss to describe what I feel like it would be like having something like this in a system and sharing the experience with other Polk fans. glad to see these sticking around.
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »

Close they will be blowing Skip out of bed right under his room at LSAF next May
    that's where they will debut

I guess I need to go to LSAF next year as I would love to check these out then and it will be great seeing Russman again & seeing what you two are up to.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Very cool. Congrats Tx!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Very, very nice pick-up . . . You gonna get the pre, too? You should!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Idgit. (me)

2 days too late.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Very, very nice pick-up . . . You gonna get the pre, too? You should!

Yes the pre is coming too. Received a great email and letter of provenance directly from Matt Polk.(see attached) Letter includes the history and usage. Email was instructions of warm up and specific use with SDA/SRS/SRT series speakers etc. Both were very informative.

Ken and Matt have been more than generous with there time making this one, if not the most memorable purchases I have made....can I say "Nothing but Class"...shouldn't have expected less with Polk.

Fortunately Threshold is now based in Houston (as I live just outside of Galveston) and the amps will be sent directly to them for the refresh> Service includes rebuilding the FEB (amplifier front-end), new power supply capacitors, rectifiers, and replacing wear & tear items such as the power on/off switch, rail fuse holders, etc.. I will provide all the information Matt and Ken provided to help insure that these amps will be in top shape.

Again I am very excited and thank you guys from the bottom of my heart... :):)

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Sounds like the amps are going to the perfect owner! Congratulations.
  • msg
    edited October 2015
    Had another thought on this earlier, Ron, while I was screw1ng off on the forum toward the end of the day today, and seeing this post again. This obviously seemed like a great opportunity to own some sweet gear, but it occurred to me that there almost seems an element of responsibility in agreeing to own them. I don't know man, maybe it's just that I'm truly feeling a part of this community with its long running existence and membership and why we're all here, but I think it's great that they're moving to someone with great appreciation for the Polk history, development and community, to someone taking the responsibility to see that they're properly maintained and preserved, and as you noted, shared amongst other aficionados. It's almost like you're the current curator in a way. These very easily could have ended up in some selfish, crusty old curmudgeon's basement in the middle of nowhere, collecting dust in a few years, and that would have been a shame.
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    That letter is frogging awesome!!!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A