http://youtu.be/oj0YjGKqauw

Her version of this song is amazing....
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Nina Simone?
    Ella Fitzgerald?

Then for those of us who like opera: Joan Sutherland
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    A lot of those listed above (not all) but what about Karen Carpenter?

I also think Tori Amos has a great voice, though I am not a great fan of her music.

For lesser known artists, Vienna Teng and Lucy Kaplanski.

Almost forgot, Aimee Mann.

I just recently got turned on to Vienna Teng, I like her a lot..

• Moose68Bash
    edited October 2015
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Put Your Head On My Shoulder, Nancy Sinatra's version is beautifully sung.

@xcapri79,

Wasn't Nancy Sinatra's range about four notes -- not octaves -- notes?

It's hard to consider a voice of that little magnitude in the top 1,000, leave aside the top 10 female singers.

Yes, her father was a great promoter.

Perhaps, your eyes were deceiving your ears; however, I have to say she's probably not in the top 1,000 most attractive female singers either -- IMHO!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Yeah she killed it
    She's very well trained and a genuine person, she just knows how to work the entertainment world like Madonna does. Gaga had a great interview with Stern which will probably rerun through the Holidays with his greatest of 2015 on Sirius/XM.

One of the above under rated mentioned above is Amy Winehouse, a real shame she could stay with us, she was an old soul.

This is a simple reference tune for 2 channel available in high res, grainy on you tube but definitely a reference in high res

https://youtu.be/uKkeWt2MxWM
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    I just threw up a little in my mouth..... OK ALOT
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Yeah she killed it
    She's very well trained and a genuine person, she just knows how to work the entertainment world like Madonna does. Gaga had a great interview with Stern which will probably rerun through the Holidays with his greatest of 2015 on Sirius/XM.

One of the above under rated mentioned above is Amy Winehouse, a real shame she could stay with us, she was an old soul.

This is a simple reference tune for 2 channel available in high res, grainy on you tube but definitely a reference in high res

Love it, I must have it, thanks for posting it..

I love Amy Winehouse, I have all of what little she left us...

• txcoastal1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Amy Lee
    https://youtu.be/5anLPw0Efmo

and Dan if you like that Celtic/Folk style here's a couple more reference females
    Cara Dillon
    https://youtu.be/nfpG6nVcoCY

Samanta Crain (Kid Face) also available in hi res

https://youtu.be/x59qpfhLF7I

Like me some Dido also
    https://youtu.be/1TO48Cnl66w
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Milla Jovovich - The actress from the Resident Evil movies. No kidding. I'm not saying top 10 or anything, but better than you'd think.

https://youtu.be/MrQOBcFfEj0?t=1m30s
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    Yeah she killed it

@txcoastal1,

You are dead right on "The Raven." Like you, I use it as a reference album.

Pidgeon's rendering of "Spanish Harlem" is to die for.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    No love for Susan Tedeschi?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Options
    Many interesting singers listed here. But some just don't pass the test of time.
  • HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    Options
    +1 on Sarah McLachlan, Nora Jones, Sheryl Crow, Annie Lennox, Loreena McKennit, Amy Winehouse, Natalie Merchant, Tracey Chapman and Stevie Nicks.
    Ones not mentioned that I like: K.D. Lang, Mary Black, Adele, and Dido.
    Country/folk - Patsy Cline, Shania Twain, Brandi Carlile, and Nanci Griffith
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    keiko, are you white she devil?

Did you use too much LSD during the 60s?

undercoverbrother1.jpg
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    A few that haven't been mentioned.
    Marianne Faithfull
    Tracy Chapman
    Johnette Napolitano
  • bikezappa
    Options
    Another oldie but goodie that still signs cabaret shows and stood the test of time. She did direct to LP recordings with no dubbing in the 70s I think. Try and find those LPs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dBWa_2pJjU
  • bikezappa
    Options
    I think most of the female singers rely to much on the visual aspect of their songs and less on the audio. Sex sells and we all like it. It's part of the singers attraction and our fantasy.
  • Timothy Smith
    Options
    bikezappa wrote: »
    I think most of the female singers rely to much on the visual aspect of their songs and less on the audio. Sex sells and we all like it. It's part of the singers attraction and our fantasy.

You have to respect the Shaggs. They could have, but did not, rely on the eye-candy aspect of so much of pop music at the time.

9egb7rgcbhx5.jpg

Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    bikezappa wrote: »

Well, at least you can't say that about Joan Sutherland! :)

• Moose68Bash
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

I have great respect for Susan Tedeschi, but she doesn't make the top ten for me.

However, she certainly beats out Nancy Sinatra -- at least IMHO.

• Toolfan66
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

I have great respect for Susan Tedeschi, but she doesn't make the top ten for me.

However, she certainly beats out Nancy Sinatra -- at least IMHO.

I don't dislike Nancy but she is not one of my favorites by a long shot..

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    As Mentioned Above, Mary Black.

Marvin played some of her stuff at Skips and I had to keep asking him her name so I would not forget to look her up for more music to buy! (My memory is half gone)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Sarah Brightman, For flat-out vocal talent. Not hard on the eyes, either
    Allison Krauss
    Patricia Barber
    Pink - Actually some real talent there. Hidden, but there.
    Linda Ronstadt
    Paula Cole
    Tori Amos - Tons of emotion in her singing...
    Jennifer Warnes
    Katie Melua
    Carley Simon
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Adele has a wonderful voice, but her Bond song sucked. Just my .02....hope her new album is way better than that or she's going to fade away.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Adele has a wonderful voice, but her Bond song sucked. Just my .02....hope her new album is way better than that or she's going to fade away.

Adele-Hello-off her new 25 album. Has potential but is ruined by the back ground story telling in the video, instead of letting the music tell the story. I will hold opinion once I hear the album
    https://youtu.be/YQHsXMglC9A

• Toolfan66
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Adele-Hello-off her new 25 album. Has potential but is ruined by the back ground story telling in the video, instead of letting the music tell the story. I will hold opinion once I hear the album
    https://youtu.be/YQHsXMglC9A

Agreed, but I still enjoyed the video..