How much is a pair of original Klipsch Heresey's worth today?

Like the title says, I am looking to find out what a fair price for a pair of Klipsch Heresey speakers would be on today's market. My Dad has the same pair I used to listen too as a young kid and he is interested in selling them.

I haven't priced a pair of these in so long, I am out of the loop and I no longer subscribe to AG's bluebook. Figured one or more of you guys would know. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Quick search of the 'Bay says that they sell (not listed price) mostly between $400 and $700 depending on condition and version of the Heresy.

Heresy III's can go up to $1200 - but $800 is the max price I found on an open box set of Heresy 1's with $450-$650 being the common range.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    They seem to cluster around $400 the pair; 200 isn't uncommon, though.

They're ear-gougers, IMO. Big time.... but some folks love 'em.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I've been offered as much as $575 for just the drivers out of mine.

People have bantered around $500 for the pair of complete speakers because mine are the bare cabinet, no finishing. Some genius went all over them with an address stamp too so they look like poo but sound amazing.

I've only seen broken ones for less than $450. Unless it's a yard sale and the seller has no idea what they have. Then I've heard them go for as low as $100.

I'm not going to tell you how much I paid or where I got them 'cause you'll just hate me more than you already do.

And no, they are not for sale.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Thanks guys. The version he has I have no clue about. From what I remember, they are completely enclosed......I don't remember ever being able to pull the grill cloth off. Horn tweeter and mid with the big woofer at the bottom. They look like solid Walnut with a darker stain and all my Dad can tell me is that they are around 40 years old.

I don't know if that fairly poor description can narrow down the model number. I believe that they are the "original" Heresey's.

Dad told me to come pick them up. When I get them, I can post some pics. Maybe that will help narrow it down.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2015
    Heresy has a 12 inch woofer.
    The serial number should be stamped in the plywood cabinet edge in the back (at the top) and/or on a label in the back. The date code on the "Heritage" Klipsch products is easily decoded. E.g. my 1974 Cornwalls had an "M" in their serial number. 1973 = "L", 1975 = "N", etc.

Only rather early (late-1950s/early 1960s) Heresys had "good" (high-quality) drivers (Electrovoice woofer, MR driver & T35 tweeter). Later Heresys went to OEM woofers (typically CTS or Eminence -- I am blanking on which at the moment) and Atlas PA drivers for the MR horns. They stuck with EV T35s, though -- the later T35s had ceramic ('mud') magnets, rather than AlNiCos. The later T35s had square magnets rather than the round bell covers on the AlNiCo T35s. All of these drivers will most likely have Klipsch stickers and "K-nn" driver numbers on them.

There's a Klipsch forum at audiokarma and Klipsch themselves may still have a forum.

If the grilles aren't removable, the backs should be.