Boulder 2060 amplifier

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I think I understand what Joey is after.....same things many of us are after. However, the Boulder is a very neutral amp, so I'm thinking your going to get more of what the Classe offers and less of what the Cary does.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    BTW .... Have you tried bi-amping with both amps ? Since you love the Cary for voices, try it on top and the Classe for the bottom for dynamics.

Before kicking either to the curb, I'd focus more on getting either one right as Jess suggested. Cables can make a huge difference at this level of play too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Tony ,your somewhat right that most electronics do loose value over time w/ 1 big exception. You know what brand that is, McIntosh, still holds value and maybe not all well liked here on this forum but it's been around for 60 some odd years for a few good reasons. Quality of build, conservative w/ their stats, even when sold to a holding company no quality changes (like Fisher in Japanese hands), and holds or exceeds resale value, and those mesmerizing blue meters calling you. Take a look and they are going for crazy cash no matter what device.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

You have any recs? I assume Ayon would be one?

The Cary 211FE is supposed to be a powerhouse tube amp... I guess a mcintosh 2301 is another.

Ayon, VTL, Mcintosh, Audio Research ...

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I got my Mac 601's in place. Listening to them now. Really impressive.

Quite a change from the Rogues. Night and day difference.

Power reserve is huge, dynamics are spectacular, speaker control is something my speakers have yet to see. Not even close even when I had the Parasound Halo A21.

Soundstage has completely opened up. Even the wife commented on how open and wide the sound appears.

I think some of the concerns you have are the same as I had. That's why I jumped on the McIntosh monos. If I decide to get rid of them at a later date I should be able to recoup my $$$$'s.

Joey you should stop by a check EM out. Bring your fav tunes.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    I got my Mac 601's in place. Listening to them now. Really impressive.

Quite a change from the Rogues. Night and day difference.

Power reserve is huge, dynamics are spectacular, speaker control is something my speakers have yet to see. Not even close even when I had the Parasound Halo A21.

Soundstage has completely opened up. Even the wife commented on how open and wide the sound appears.

I think some of the concerns you have are the same as I had. That's why I jumped on the McIntosh monos. If I decide to get rid of them at a later date I should be able to recoup my $$$$'s.

Joey you should stop by a check EM out. Bring your fav tunes.

600w makes things go crazy man... everything opens up. Dynamics are freed.

Just imagine... Boulder.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    BTW .... Have you tried bi-amping with both amps ? Since you love the Cary for voices, try it on top and the Classe for the bottom for dynamics.

Before kicking either to the curb, I'd focus more on getting either one right as Jess suggested. Cables can make a huge difference at this level of play too.

Thought about it but without an active cross over, impossible to get right.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    Options

Ya never know pal until ya try. Don't assume, just try it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Strads are single terminals.

802 have dual terminals. Problem is that no active cross over.

The difference between 600 and 70 watts could be devastating. I would need 2 identical preamps to get both amps to sound level.

Otherwise one is going to be outputting nearly 10x the power and maybe more depending on the impedance at that frequency. Remember the classe hits 1200w at 4ohm.
  • Joey_V
    Options

Ya never know pal until ya try. Don't assume, just try it.

Tonyb...
    The boulder guy caved to my request at 17, but wants shipping.

What to do... (Kicking the sand as my brain walks down a sandy beach, that's how I feel).
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Buy it, I'll grab it for you, and then you can mull over shipping for the next two tree months. ;)

Yes tree.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    Btw, Avantgarde Duos.. awesome.

After thinking over the weekend, I realize I am getting what I was looking for with both the tone and the dynamics not completely due to the efficiency of the speaker, but due to power it looks like to the speaker. My 100W amp would do nothing with your speakers, and you are comparing a 150W amp to a 600W amp. How about something like this? If you had 500W of power produced by tubes would you not get about the same dynamics as the 600W Classe as well as the simple finesse of tubes?

http://www.manley.com/products/view/neo500

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.17671/.f

And only $15K!

And keep in mind, the Manley company rather than doubling their prices ith every new model has been keeping prices much more reasonable without the extra markups, with exception of doubling prices a few years ago.

Oh, the Duos aren't all that, they have their problems. Now Trios, that would be the ticket!

Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Hey Joey any update here? Thanks
  • Joey_V
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »

Hey bud

My baby is not feeling well so I'm not either. Not in the mood for audio gear right now.

Laying low.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    sorry to hear joey. take care
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »

Hey bud

My baby is not feeling well so I'm not either. Not in the mood for audio gear right now.

Laying low.

Hope all is well. When kids feel bad parents feel worse.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Hope your baby is doing better soon.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2015
    Options
    thanks fellas

we were supposed to be on vacation today - got a room for us and another for my parents in boca raton but no go. Had to cancel the trip because of this. Got charged for airfare, but atleast I got money on the room back.
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Screw it.

WIth 2 minutes left to go with the auction - I placed my final offer.

$16,600 with split shipping.

Let's see what happens.

Figured that I get to try this beast out.

And if I don't like it, I probably lose between $0-$2000.

NO way I'm spending $40-50,000 on a new model. Might as well check in the asylum.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Well?
  • tonyb
    Options
    thanks fellas

we were supposed to be on vacation today - got a room for us and another for my parents in boca raton but no go. Had to cancel the trip because of this. Got charged for airfare, but atleast I got money on the room back.

Man, that sucks. One of my favorite beaches is on the south end of Boca....Deerfield beach.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    thanks fellas

Man, that sucks. One of my favorite beaches is on the south end of Boca....Deerfield beach.

Tell me about it.

Airfare for 3 (me, my wife, and baby Emma).... with full upgrades to the front of the plane, etc... non-refundable.

Rented 2 rooms at the Waldorf Astoria Boca Beach Club... 1 for my parents and 1 for me. I was looking forward to it...

... atleast that one was fully refundable.

But yeah... terrible...

:(

On a better note... my Emma is doing better!!!

And that's worth 1000x of these vacations!!!!

• Joey_V
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Well?

What?

Are you going to pick it up for me???
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Did you win or not?!
    Yes, I will pick it up for you.
    Yes, I will take photos before and after I pick it up.
    Yes, those photos will be the only time you ever see your purchase.
    And finally....
    No, you will never see your amp or ever hear from me again.... :o
  • Joey_V
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Did you win or not?!
    Yes, I will pick it up for you.
    Yes, I will take photos before and after I pick it up.
    Yes, those photos will be the only time you ever see your purchase.
    And finally....
    No, you will never see your amp or ever hear from me again.... :o

It's still premature, as some details need to be ironed out.

But the listing appears to be "SOLD".

B)

Now... long list ahead of me, better source, better speakers.... etc. The rabbit hole is long and winding. Probably need to heal for a little while.

On the other hand, if everything about this amp checks out, I'm probably going to one of a handful to be able to compare the Boulder 2060, the Classe M600, and the Cary 211FE in one room.

That alone is worth the $1000-2000 I might lose if I choose to sell the Boulder if it doesn't work out. Sometimes you can't put a too big a price on experience.

But seriously, I doubt the other amps will hold a candle to the new king in town (atleast my town).
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Mr Biron

Can you pick it up for me?
  • tonyb
    Options
    [But seriously, I doubt the other amps will hold a candle to the new king in town (atleast my town).

Don't count your chickens brother....my guess is the Boulder is going to give you just a tad more of what the Classe's do.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Awesome!
    Ha-ha....I'll pick it up for you. I'll even drool on it for you and shave my arms so it feels right at home!!
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Skippy, my plan was just to hook a rope around it and drag it home. Then, get Doug to make 30' long interconnects so I can leave it in the driveway. Think smarter....not harder!

Something tells me I won't be picking it up now :p
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you are going to pick it up for him, do you and Joey a favor and call 3 other friends to help you load the thing in. Its 250 lbs. - don't play around with that.

You may want to go get some of those arm wraps used for furniture to help you. Just do something to ensure this thing is moved carefully and practically.

What wrong Skip, you having flashbacks from moving Ackley's subwoofer...but you are correct
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a