Boulder 2060 amplifier

Options
Saw this amp on audiogon, seems like price is acceptable.

Have been speaking to the guy and now he is just waiting on my formal "offer".

Would have to sell both the Cary and the Classe to find this likely... Or atleast one of the two.

Been looking at one for some time as an end amp for me.

Any thoughts from the crew? Bad move to consolidate 2 amps into 1?

FYI, I tend to like to put money in audio gear that doesn't lose value and are an easy resale. My worry is at that price point, the market is slim and I'm looking for another me to buy it from me... And sometimes I lowball and I'm hard to deal with.

Just mulling it around.

Wife gave the go ahead. Reluctantly.

(Really like vocals on the Cary 211fe but prefer dynamics on the classe m600)
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    If you don't go for it, you'll spend the rest of your days wondering why you didn't. Not so sure it will be the end amp your hoping it to be though. High end audio loses value like anything else, so I don't see why your musing over it. If you can rock the price tag, and it's something you've always wanted.....scoop it up. Life is too short to second guess. You know your going to lose money anyway if a resale situation happens 10 years from now or one year.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Joey man get some time in on the Classe amps! Geez...I'm startin to think your...

qw22q2rzx8me.jpg

Nah. I hear what I hear and like what I like.

I think the classe is really nice and probably would keep it over the Cary.

I was actually thinking boulder would replace Cary .

But I like them all lol... So I struggle to give the guy an offer because I want to keep all 3.

Lol
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I like Tony's advice. nice amp
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I am like a freaking hoarder.

Turn on the Cary if I'm listening to vocals. Turn on the classe if I listen to big pieces. Both good but better at certain things.

I hope the boulder would be better than both .
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Btw the differences between both Cary and classe are major . Brother and I could tell which was playing from outside the room, literally.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    Looks like a nice amp. I have looked at Boulder before, unfortunately out of the price range I would buy. I guess if you got it at 50-60% MSRP you could always sell it for about the same price for many years, at least that has been my experience on non-digital equipment.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    If it's the one in Mass.....i'll grab it for ya. I drive by there every day. I promise it won't be AS sticky when you get it from me.

Joey, to be quite frank, do you really think there are a lot of people on this forum that have had exposure to and/or own these types of pieces? If you need advice, you should head over to the hoity toity audiophile site. ;)

Hearing a Boulder at a trade show isn't how i want to get my advice from someone.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Have to agree with mrbiron, this is serious territory that most of us have barely dreamed off...can't really offer any advice...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Why do you think you can combine different pre, different amps and different speakers at that level to give the sonics you want? Boulder would be great with Boulder preamps and so on.

At this level, almost every manufacturer tweak their products to give the best possible sound when used with their own pre, source, amps; etc. They are trying to sell you high $$$$$ of equipment and they spent time to find the synergy for their product lines so the buyer is stuck to one brand. Thus, giving their own House Sound and Sonics signature. But the pleasure of findings things out is priceless.

Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Boulder? Classe? Cary?

I don't know, but I can tell you this. I like my B&K and enjoyed my Yamaha CA-1010 in power amp mode. :p
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Joey_V,

What is the "problem" you are trying to solve?

What characteristic(s) of your current rigs are you trying to improve?

Have you found evidence -- e.g. reliable reviews with reasonably comparable circumstances to yours - that makes you believe the Boulder amp will achieve the result you are seeking?

You seem dissatisfied with your current situation and want to improve it, but do you have good reason to believe the Boulder amp is the answer?

Just some thoughts.

However you decide to proceed, I hope it works for you.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Joey_V
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    If it's the one in Mass.....i'll grab it for ya. I drive by there every day. I promise it won't be AS sticky when you get it from me.

Joey, to be quite frank, do you really think there are a lot of people on this forum that have had exposure to and/or own these types of pieces? If you need advice, you should head over to the hoity toity audiophile site. ;)

Hearing a Boulder at a trade show isn't how i want to get my advice from someone.

Posted on audioaficionado... looks like I am on my own. Few have experienced it.

I have heard the 1060 on Aerial 7T and I thought it sounded better than my system did. I thought the 1060 did a good job with the sound. Good density.

I have heard the 2060 but only in passing. I heard it on Alexias and I did not like it as much... which worries me but I think it might have been the set up.

Impossible to compare all in 1 room.

That's what I'm trying to do. Experience it for myself.
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Joey_V,

What is the "problem" you are trying to solve?

What characteristic(s) of your current rigs are you trying to improve?

Have you found evidence -- e.g. reliable reviews with reasonably comparable circumstances to yours - that makes you believe the Boulder amp will achieve the result you are seeking?

You seem dissatisfied with your current situation and want to improve it, but do you have good reason to believe the Boulder amp is the answer?

Just some thoughts.

However you decide to proceed, I hope it works for you.

Not trying to correct the entire system in one swoop, just trying to see if I can just correct the amplification section. I don't like to make baby steps and having to move up again later. Get the amp, be done. Then later, work on the other parts of the system (source, cables, etc).

Re the amp... trying to mold tube and solid state.

When I heard the Cary 211FE, the voices and ethereal sound were what popped out to me. When I heard the Classe m600 back to back to the Cary 211FE, I heard what a world class SS amp did... it was then that I realized what dynamics were. Bass was tight and background seemed blacker, notes seemed more instant.

But when I roll back to the Cary 211FE, then I hear the voices I like so much... but then I miss the dynamics.

I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds.

I figured, if I picked up the Boulder and it does not work out.... I guess I'm kinda at the end point and maybe it's something else in my system that I find deficient.

At this point, although it might seem like I have a "problem" with my system... I am quite satisfied. Probably 70% satisfied.

I listen to music nearly nightly...

Also... I was hoping to move the other amps in other parts of the house... except the Cary. I cannot move it because of the baby... I would have to sell it if the Boulder does materialize and gets a good portion of that sound.

• Joey_V
    Options

It's kinda heavy mrbiron and if I recall your previous posts... you wanted the truck with my audio gear to burn....
  • Joey_V
    Options

You're right... it's right in MA... :)

Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

But when I roll back to the Cary 211FE, then I hear the voices I like so much... but then I miss the dynamics.

This doesn't help much with the wonderful speaker choice you made, but I'll type anyway. I was there for awhile, voices vs dynamics, although with cheaper equipment. That is when I discovered high power/high efficiency speakers. I brought in a pair of Avantgarde Duos at 104dB eff and paired with my 100W triode tube monoblocks. The voices are there. Soothing, especially after the smallest burst of dynamics makes you jump a foot off the couch if you are not anticipating it. You may already have the best of both worlds, just have to make the choice between two amps depending upon what you are into that day.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Joey_V
    Options
    madmax wrote: »

This doesn't help much with the wonderful speaker choice you made, but I'll type anyway. I was there for awhile, voices vs dynamics, although with cheaper equipment. That is when I discovered high power/high efficiency speakers. I brought in a pair of Avantgarde Duos at 104dB eff and paired with my 100W triode tube monoblocks. The voices are there. Soothing, especially after the smallest burst of dynamics makes you jump a foot off the couch if you are not anticipating it. You may already have the best of both worlds, just have to make the choice between two amps depending upon what you are into that day.

My brother came by and he said he didn't think that there was going to be such a difference between 2 world class amps.... but there is. It's nice though... right now, the Classe is hooked up. But at any time, when I want to hear voices so pure, I warm up the Carys.

I was just hoping that the Boulder 2060 would be a sufficient move up that I won't have to choose anymore and I can focus on something else to improve in the months and years ahead.

If I go Boulder... this is it. I believe anything at that level is already so close to the absolute sound that I'm sure it's splitting hairs that even I would have difficulty discerning.

Btw, Avantgarde Duos.. awesome.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    It's kinda heavy mrbiron and if I recall your previous posts... you wanted the truck with my audio gear to burn....

Oh scat!!...you remembered that? I didn't "want" it to burn. I was preparing you for the worst.

Somebody has to be a realist around here! :p

I just sent the guy an email letting him know that you have hairless arms. He told me the "deal is off!!"
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joey_V
    Options

Oh scat!!...you remembered that? I didn't "want" it to burn. I was preparing you for the worst.

Somebody has to be a realist around here! :p

I just sent the guy an email letting him know that you have hairless arms. He told me the "deal is off!!"

I hate you!!

I was thinking of my offer... I think 17 is fair. He's not going to sell at 19,500 I can tell you that. The market is soft for this kind of thing. Only a lunatic would think about buying a 250 lb amp and lugging it.

I just hope someone will buy from me when I sell.... gulp..
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Options
    Unless you go for power house monoblocs tube amps, I don't think you can find solid state amps that represent best of both worlds.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    brianle wrote: »
    Unless you go for power house monoblocs tube amps, I don't think you can find solid state amps that represent best of both worlds.

You have any recs? I assume Ayon would be one?

The Cary 211FE is supposed to be a powerhouse tube amp... I guess a mcintosh 2301 is another.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I have been always curious about the Lamm ML2.2. 18w SET. But supposed to drive loads that no other SET can.

I know someone who drives a set of Wilson Alexandrias with the ML2.2.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Btw the differences between both Cary and classe are major . Brother and I could tell which was playing from outside the room, literally.

Can you spell expectional bias because ya know, all amps sound the same.

Ok, now that I got that dig at the naysayers out of my system.....

Joey, are you using the same tube pre with both amps and on which speakers?

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    One observation I have made from reading various forums is that, for whatever reason, some people are never satisfied, no matter what gear is in use. While I realize there is always something better, I have always enjoyed whatever I was using at the time.

With that said, I am ready for the unannounced, and purely speculative, update for the Magico S5. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options

Have you heard any of the bigger Pass Labs amps? They bill themselves as making "solid state amps for tube lovers without the fuss of tubes".

Google "Pass Labs tube lovers".

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Can you spell expectional bias because ya know, all amps sound the same.

Ok, now that I got that dig at the naysayers out of my system.....

Joey, are you using the same tube pre with both amps and on which speakers?

Tried both on strads and bw 802 diamond.

Same pre. Just switched the amps as quickly as I could.

Difference is major. Cary has a more solid voice reproduction without a doubt whereas the classe is a little less... But a lot more bass and impact. A lot more.

I just had another late night session just now. Didn't listen to the Cary, just the Classe through the diamonds. I was listening at approx 70db and wow... Such a clean system that it's easy to enjoy at nearly any db level.

And yes, vocals coming out of diamonds through Cary 211 is eerie when out of the room. You can tell when it's the classe doing vocals outside the room because it sounds... Well... For lack of a better term - reproduced.
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2015
    Options

Have you heard any of the bigger Pass Labs amps? They bill themselves as making "solid state amps for tube lovers without the fuss of tubes".

Google "Pass Labs tube lovers".

Dk - one of the best amps and systems I have ever heard was Tad ref1 with Pass XS300. Absolutely phenomenal

Even the smaller XS150 is about 9k out of budget... I could do the xa160.8 at my budget but honestly I've been a boulder fanboy for so long.

I had a Boulder keychain for years... Back when I still owned Polk LSi9 and I always told myself that this is the closest I was ever going to get to a Boulder (the keychain).
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    One observation I have made from reading various forums is that, for whatever reason, some people are never satisfied, no matter what gear is in use. While I realize there is always something better, I have always enjoyed whatever I was using at the time.

With that said, I am ready for the unannounced, and purely speculative, update for the Magico S5. :)

I enjoy my gear.

It's just that I also like to move up if I can.

I'm at the level where I could stop here and be content for the rest of my life.

But there's always something out there.

Why climb Everest?

Because you can.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    I don't know Joey, I've been trying to get a handle on the sound you like, but you're all over the place. By that I mean, I'm not sure you could get two more polar opposite sounding speakers as well as amps. Perhaps slow down, focus on one rig getting it where you want then move on the the other rig. Is the Classe even cooked yet?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I don't know Joey, I've been trying to get a handle on the sound you like, but you're all over the place. By that I mean, I'm not sure you could get two more polar opposite sounding speakers as well as amps. Perhaps slow down, focus on one rig getting it where you want then move on the the other rig. Is the Classe even cooked yet?

I'll pm you. It's not as you say. I found the sound.