Needed - AI-1 Amplifier Interface

Options
Would like to either buy or pay to have built a Polk AI-1 Amplifier Interface.

I just purchased a pair of SRS SDA 1.2TL. I have been wanting a pair of these ever since I saw them in a store in 1990. I plan on using them as the L-R main speakers in my home theater. I haven't decided on an amplifier yet, but have not ruled out a pair of monoblock amplifiers. I understand that to even have that option, I would need to use an AI-1 Amplifier Interface.

I have seen a few threads that describe how to build one. I also like the idea of using speakon connectors both for the cable ends and on each speaker, and on the AI-1 as well. I would attempt to build one myself, but I haven't even started or looked into the availability of the necessary components.

Please respond if you have an AI-1 for sale, would build one, or have access to instructions for building one along with a source list for the components.

Thanks!
Polk SRS SDA 1.2TL (upgraded)
Marantz AV7703
Parasound JC 1

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    We presume you are NOT looking for an official Polk AI-1 or similar-spec (13va transformer) item. You're looking for the Dreadnaught version as pioneered by Darqueknight...right?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    I tried to find threads but they're all dead links Schurkey...I like you am reading it that way.
  • Schurkey
    Options
    Crappy OEM equivalent: (transformer part numbers out-of-date, but who cares since the transformer is grossly under-sized.)
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/26698.pdf

Dreadnought (I always spell it wrong, it seems!) upgrade version:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/129829/the-ai-1-dreadnought-project-pt-2-upgrade-to-1000va-transformer#latest
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2015
    Options
    BTW Welcome to the Forum!

Dave @westmassguy can build you one and hes a member of this forum, I'm currently using one he built me & you can go to his website and contact him there or PM him but he only does business from his site and not thru the forum threads.

http://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/

and click on "About DHS" and request info and you will find his email address there too :)

heres pic of my DreadNaught he built me!
    83upitdqy9vi.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    I have a case, if you find the parts...
  • BadgerNave
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, and for the quick responses! I thought I might be waiting weeks for someone to notice my post in what I thought might be a "spiderweb/dust covered" corner of this forum.

I would have been happy to get an OEM equivalent, but was not aware of the "crappy" aspect. Thanks for the enlightenment Schurkey!

It would then seem that I am then leaning toward the Dreadknaught. Thanks for the lead voltz! I will most definitely be contacting Dave to inquire about one. I love the pic you attached! I have seen several similar pics on the forum, but this is the first one with copper shielding of the transformer housing. Very sexy!

The speakers I bought just arrived in Wisconsin from Sacramento. I have yet to listen to them at length to learn their character. Modifications on the table are upgrades to the part # RD0198-1 tweeter. Possibly crossover upgrades to the vr3 Monastery "Abbot". I am also intrigued by people posting about imaging improvements by using the Dreadnaught at all times instead of the standard SDA interface cable and a stero amp. I will consider all options as times goes on.

As far as a power amp(s), I would love to use a pair of McIntosh MC2301's but at around $22,000 each, I think not. I am considering Parasound JC1's, but lately am looking hard at pair of Emotiva XPR-1 amps. The prices are very palatable, and the reviews all seem to be very positive. Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions are very welcome. If I do go with the Emotiva amps (stereo or monoblock), I would likely go with the Emotiva XMC-1 for a preamp/surround processor. Again, reviews suggest it would handle surround duties as well as 2 channel listening nicely. I know I sound like a damn Emotiva sales rep here. I like that they are built in the USA (Nasville I believe), and I have read Audiophile quality and performance, at unbelievably low prices so many times its imprinted on my brain. Again, thoughts are welcome.

I'm glad this forum does not put a character limit on post length. I feel I have had diarrhea of the fingers here tonight. Thanks for your help guys!
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    What part of Wisconsin are you from?
  • voltz
    Options
    You welcome and congrats on finding a pair of SDA 1.2tl's.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• BadgerNave
    Options
    I live in the Madison area right now. Originally I am from a little town NW of Wisconsin Dells called Elroy. Saw my first pair of Polk SRS SDA's at Sound World in La Crosse!
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • BadgerNave
    Options
    @ voltz

Thank you! I am actually quite happy with the purchase. I have been trolling eBay for better than 5 years now, keeping an eye on what popped up in the SRS SDA line. I had pretty much decided I would prefer to get my hands on 4th or 5th generation models. I saw many come and go that were in pretty rough shape. I would bid on a pair every once and a while, but had set my spend limit at $2500.00, and would either get outbid or feel that the auction item was in a condition that didn't justify going that high.
    Then on Labor Day (this year) this pair of SRS SDA 1.2TL suddenly showed up, and with a 'Buy It Now' option of all things. So, I bought them!

http://r.ebay.com/EStUrR

And this has led me to start this post as I further educate myself on the SRS SDA's now that I actually own a pair. I hooked them up just to test them, but they are going to stay in storage for the next year or so. They are unfortunately too big for the apartment I live in currently, and the home we are just in the beginning phase of designing/building won't be done for a while.
    What will be fun is that during that time I can do all my planning and daydreaming, as part of the home design will include a dedicated home theater/listening room. What is even cooler is the my fiancé is as into this whole theater project as I am.

E
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • voltz
    Options
    Looks like were in the same boat, my living room does not do my CRS or other speakers very well, but my plan to get a new house with unfinshed basement to fix up for a 2 channel room is 3 years away at best. for now I make do moving things around for each listening session. someday though B)

• BadgerNave
    Options
    @ DSkip - Yes I know I am VERY lucky that she values all the this tech stuff as much as I do. She loves to tell her friends that hooking up with a tech guy has a huge bonus in that all the cool toys either work properly, or she just hands it to me, and 'poof' it is returned fixed. She got a chance to listen to the Polk speakers for the first time this week, and loved them. To her credit, knowing that I had been wanting a pair of these for 25 years, she did not fight their purchase. Now, she gets it!!

Dimensions of the room aren't set in stone yet, but the area I have in mind for the theater is the space under the three car garage. Right now the garage in the plan is 24'x36'. So the space would have poured concrete walls on 4 sides, and a 8" spancrete (plus 2" concrete garage floor) ceiling. Essentially a bunker. I envision double doors in one of the 24' walls. I haven't even started thinking about amenities in the theater room, but would like to have a bar/buffet area. I envision the room being used for sports (Packers and UW Badgers of course) watching with friends as much as for movies, so the entertaining aspect has to be thoughtfully considered.

As far as the system goes, I have the following in mind:

- Front L-R Main - Polk SRS SDA 1.2TL (very likely to be upgraded)
    - Center - Phase Technologies PC 3.1
    - Side Surround - Phase Technologies PC 3.1
    - Rear Surround - Phase Technologies PC 3.1
    - Overhead (assuming I do a Dolby Atmos system) Speakercraft
    - Front Subwoofers - custom enclosure with 2 JL Audio 13W7AE-D1.5 subs
    - Rear Subwoofers - Custom enclosure with 2 JL AUdio 12W7AE-3 subs

- Amplifiers would be a variety of models from the Emotiva XPR or XPA lines
    - Pre/Pro duties would likely be handled by a Emotiva XMC-1
    - Sources would be a variety of quality devices. Blu Ray, ROKU etc...

- I haven't decide on a projector yet, but screen size will probably be around
    66"x117".

- A friend of mine owns a UPS equipment servicing company, so he is going to
    assist with all the power supply/conditioning setup. I plan on rack mounting all
    the source/sound equipment in one of the back corners of the theater.

*All the above equipment, and (some ;-D) speaker choices may change over time
    as I discover new options or my opinions change. Suggestions or critique are
    always welcome.

I am planning on doing distributed audio throughout the house, and for that I
    will use Sonos gear. My professional background is in IT(information technology),
    and I already have a good size library of MP3's. I am currently in the process of
    re-ripping my audio CD's at 320Kbps. When I first started ripping in 1997, space
    was a concern, so a lot of my early MP3s were ripped at 160 or 192Kbps. I am
    also working on setting up a networked library of my DVDs and Blu Rays. I have
    setup a NAS with 24TB of storage space, and have taught myself how to rip my
    discs to the NAS retaining full resolution and surround quality. That way using
    PLEX and a streaming device like a ROKU, and the PLEX App, I can stream any
    movie to any TV(with a ROKU) in the house.

Years ago I heard of Crestron Systems and what they could do, but they were/are
    EXPENSIVE! Now, with modern technology, you can accomplish the same thing on
    a reasonable budget.

As far as the subwoofers go, JL Audio does make the $12,000.00 Gotham
    powered subs, but I am not going to pay that much for subs. I have built several
    of my own subwoofers (both mobile and home), and its really not that difficult.

BTW, I did contact Dave @ DHS Speaker Service, and my very own Dreadnaught
    Amplifier Interface will be made later this month. Thanks to Voltz for that
    reference.

E
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    I don't know about those other speakers, but driving 1.2TL's with the amps mentioned is borderline criminal.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

Dave @westmassguy can build you one and hes a member of this forum, I'm currently using one he built me & you can go to his website and contact him there or PM him but he only does business from his site and not thru the forum threads.

and click on "About DHS" and request info and you will find his email address there too :)

83upitdqy9vi.jpg

That thing look is like it could send a Delorean back in time...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options

83upitdqy9vi.jpg

With it, you can use common ground or dual monoblock flux capacitors...
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options

83upitdqy9vi.jpg

Roflmao
  • westmassguy
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

83upitdqy9vi.jpg

Roflmao
    Gotta love those dual-mono fluxers, mo' speed......
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Most of the gear I own is fluxed up. I guess that is the reason it sounds good to me. :)
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Second what skip said...
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• CarloJP424
    Options
    Hi, just purchased Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.1 speakers. My amp a Carver PM900 doest Hanes a common ground negative I believe. Does anyone one know where I can purchase an AI-1 interface? Thanks, Carlo
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's SDA SRS 1.2 and they deserve a better amp than that.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CarloJP424
    Options
    I'm looking at a McIntosh mc452. Need to save a few. Looking for something inexpensive for now.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    B&K or Parasound HCA
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • westmassguy
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CarloJP424 wrote: »
    Hi, just purchased Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.1 speakers. My amp a Carver PM900 doest Hanes a common ground negative I believe. Does anyone one know where I can purchase an AI-1 interface? Thanks, Carlo
    The PM-900 is the higher wattage version of the PM-600, and should be common ground. It's easy enough to check with an DMM. I own the PM-600 and the PM-350. Both are quite good. They are "Pro" Amps, and expect to be chided for using them, however all that matters is how they sound to your ears.
    BTW, the circuit design for the older Carver Pro Magnetic Field Power Amps is very similar to their Consumer versions, so don't be dissuaded from giving them a go.

I have the Owners and Service Manuals in PDF format if you need them.

Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • CarloJP424
    Options
    Thank you for this info. I have a Ohm meter coming to verify.
  • BadgerNave
    BadgerNave Posts: 13
    Options
    CarloJp424, If you still have interest in purchasing an AI-1 DreadNaught, contact Dave at http://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/. He is working on building me one, and from what I have read, what he makes is far superior to the original Polk produced AI-1. Contributors here in this forum have even suggested that these speakers when driven by a stereo amplifier sound better when using the dreadnaught interface as opposed to connecting your speakers together with just the stock interconnect cable.

I also was intending to use a McIntosh Amp(s) to drive my SRS SDA 1.2TL's, but users of this forum convinced me that these Polk's don't sound that great with McIntosh power, and that Parasound amplifiers are a better choice. I decided to follow their advice, and have a pair of Parasound JC 1's standing by for use once my dreadnaught arrives. Presently I am using an 80 watt RMS Denon receiver to drive my 1.2TL's, and they already sound amazing. I can't wait to have some real power behind them.
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • CarloJP424
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm hoping my Carver pm900 works with my Polk speakers. At 450 per channel it should sound great. I ordered a ohm meter which should let me know if my Carver is common negative
  • F1nut
    Options
    Don't assume high power means good sound quality.

President of Club Polk

• CarloJP424
    Options
    True, I upgraded from Carver pm 600 to pm900 using smaller Polk SDA 2a speakers. What a difference. Can't wait to verify and test my SDA SRS 2.1 speakers. I'm sure it should be fine but just want to verify.
  • Schurkey
    Options
    CarloJP424 wrote: »
    Can't wait to verify and test my SDA SRS 2.1 speakers.
    As was alluded to previously: There is no such thing as SDA SRS 2.1 speakers. Do you have SDA SRS 1.2 speakers? SDA SRS 2? SDA SRS 2.3?