tube guys take a look

Options

Comments

• megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    I regularly buys from him and some good finds in there.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options
    Trust me I was disappointed also to see so few that I was looking for but seen some triple mica long plates I thought some might be interested in, not to mention some I have NEVER seen before.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    Those GE 5751 3mica bp's are very nice. I already have a stash so I think I'll pass but anything with a colored tip usually means they are screened for noise, etc.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options
    correct me if I'm wrong Brock, Did I also read somewhere that those were for hospital use? and that is why they were tested so stringently? there were more I think some had sold before I decided to let the cat out of the bag:)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    Not always but in some cases. Sometimes the hospital grade came with a sticker or some sort of paper work stating it was specially tested.

Many times the colored tips were used in phono sections or other low noise equipment like scopes or tube testers of the day or just equipment that would benefit from an extra round of screening.

Some say the color used also means different things, but no one is 100% I sure if that's the case. Just know if you see an older colored tipped tube it is a little more rigorously tested. Don't pay a LOT more for it, but if you have a choice go for it.

Some of the Amperex and Telefunken have special stickers and or paper work and were for medical use only, those add to the cost for sure.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Keiko wrote: »
    All them old tubes and nothing I can use. :p

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Not at all. I have more tubes than he has listed. Just nothing useful there for my gear.

Mike,

What are they? May be I could use the old tubes and buy them off your hands.

James
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin: