Advent "Large" Walnut with bullnose $200 local pickup

Options
One owner Advent Walnut Large with bullnose in excellent condition.
My first pair of speakers originally bought in the late 70's.
Still sound great.
Still look great.
Walnut, not vinyl edition.
Woofers re-foamed about 4 years ago.
These are the second gen Advent Large with the classic good looking bullnose front, not the first get with the dated angular front.
Local pickup in New York.
Please pm to discuss as I do not visit here often these days.
Thank you.mqowy0lnjxk6.jpg

Comments

• Gempler
    Gempler Posts: 307
    Options
    ps.
    Found the original manual...
    These measure 14 1/8" x 26" x 11.5" deep and weigh 47lbs each.
    The first generation of Advent loudspeakers were called the "Advent Loudspeaker" (and were also available in a smaller version called the "Smaller Advent Loudspeaker") and had the beveled front edge as seen in this original manual
    http://www.davidreaton.com/pdfs/advent_brochure.pdf
    The manual for my speakers called them the "New Advent Loudspeaker".
    I am not sure where the term large that is often used to describe this model came from but I suppose it is because they are not the small version.
    Warm sounding with plenty of punch. Can even make a cheap amp sound good and fill a room with sound.
    Thank you.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There never was a "Large" Advent as you call it. People started that term. It was "The Advent Loudspeaker." Then came "The Smaller Advent Loudspeaker", which got its name because it was smaller than "The Advent Loudspeaker" but performed about the same, especially in a smaller room. Then the re-vamped "Advent Loudspeaker" was introduced as "The New Advent Loudspeaker."

I had a pair in my daughter's room for about 10 years and replaced them with AR-302.
  • Gempler
    Options
    From the product brochure... Speaking mostly about the new tweeter in the new generation of this iconic speaker. Keep in mind this was written about 1979 when these speakers came out. Below is just what appears on half of a page on the verbose six page brochure:

The New Advent Vs. The Original Advent
    In designing a speaker for use in the real world rather than for "ideal" or laboratory performance conditions, one of the most important factors is that the quality of recordings and broadcasts is part of the overall environment in which a speaker must operate. And the most important limitation on total, reliable speaker performance since the beginning of the high-fidelity era has been the high-frequency limitations of recordings and broadcasts. Noise and distortion effects present - on records in particular - have placed a limit on the total amount of high frequency energy that it has made sense to try to secure from a tweeter.
    Almost 20 years ago, for instance, some of use now at Advent were involved in a live-vs-recorded test of an "ideal" tweeter design that could, and did, sounds identical to the live source. But this same tweeter was absolutely unrealistic for actual playback of recordings, particular LP records. It mercilessly revealed the tremendous residual noise and distortion (from tap hiss, cutter limitations, vinyl imperfections and other factors)present on recordings at high frequencies.
    By the time we designed the original Advent Loudspeaker in 1969, tremendous improvements had been made in recordings and broadcasts. But there were still important limitations, and the total high-frequency energy output of the Advent was carefully balanced to suit that reality and match well with the mixture of new, not-so-new and old LP's in most people's record collections.
    In the 1970's, however, two very important improvements have been made in the high-frequency capabilities of recordings and broadcasts:
    *The almost universal adoption of the Dolby system and other noise reduction measures for recordings has reduced background tape hiss and residual "hash" at high frequencies by a tremendous amount. The entry of the Dolby system into FM broadcasting is also beginning to be felt.
    *A new generation of record-cutting equipment has made it possible to put more essentially undistorted output onto records in the 10,000 Hz region. And a new generation of phono cartridges has been designed to take advantage of the opening for cleaner high-frequency response.
    These factors add up to more recoverable, useable high-frequency content in source material than ever before - more clean sound above the noise and distortion in the recording process.
    With these improvements, and influenced by the fact that most people's record and tape collections now date mainly from the early 1970's onward, we decided to change the high-frequency capabilities of the Advent Loudspeaker. Also involved in the decision was the knowledge that we could make use of developments like ferro-fluid damping for the tweeter to come up with a higher-output design of very high reliability at very little added cost.
    The New Advent Loudspeaker, then, can radiate significantly more energy at 10,000 Hz than our original design - more than enough to reveal the cleaner high-frequency output on records. The audible difference is subtle on most recordings (a slightly more open and defined quality) and most noticeable on recordings that have a heavy content of brass, snares, cymbals, and other demanding high-frequency material.
    We don't believe that the difference is great enough to make more than a tiny percentage of present Advent Loudspeakers owners want to trade in their speakers. (We don't design any of our speakers, including the least expensive, to make people want to trade them in after the honeymoon, however long, is over.) But the change is the kind we think should be made in a speaker designed to compete in the "best" category without compromise. And we think it will be appreciated by today's and tomorrow's speaker and record buyers.

• Gempler
    Options
    Hi George.
    In addition to initially using quotes around the word "large" I think I already clarified the use of the word "large" in my follow up message in anticipation of the term potentially disturbing you.
    I appreciate the bump none the less.
    These are indeed the LARGE version, not the SMALL version, of the New Advent Loudspeaker. They were released about 1979, twenty years after the originals.
    A picture of the brochure and manual covers are attached.
    Enjoy!
    ibgslpcmsyag.jpg
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Gempler: You may want to correct this statement in your last post. "They were released about 1979, twenty years after the originals." That would place the original Advent Loudspeaker in 1959. I believe it first appeared in either 1968 or 1969.

• George Grand
    Options
    The original was released around 1969, so the New Advent Loudspeaker came after only ten years or so. I guess that wasn't in your brochure so you didn't "know" it.

I'm glad I made you write all that stuff.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    In any case, a decent pair of vintage speakers. Two way 10" with the bull nose tweeter. I have an original pair with the masonite woofers with the inverted foam surrounds. Need a bit of power to come into their own.

I run mine on a Pioneer SX-3900 fluroscan TOTL. Nice combo.

GLWTS! But you'd be better off selling these at AK rather than here. Don't know if there are any Advent fanboys here. lol I'm a Kloss man so a set of these is obligatory!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Gempler
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks for reminding me why I don't visit here much anymore. Seems that hate trumps enjoyment of talking about audio and learning is not of any interest. And the same cast of characters too... No wonder why this place is dead. Just the same old recycled arguments. Thought that people were supposed to gain some wisdom and perspective with age, but it appears some just grow angrier and more bitter. Very sad for those people and for Polk as it is a reflection on the company who is kindly sponsoring this platform for the small group of regulars that have always made it a point to crap on anyone they deem to be an outsider. Another letter to the corporate office appears to be in order.
    Admin, please lock this thread. Thank you.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Wow, Gempler states, "I am not sure where the term large that is often used to describe this model came from but I suppose it is because they are not the small version." So, GG answers that question, Gempler cops an attitude and finally posts, "Another letter to the corporate office appears to be in order."

Be sure to make it very clear in your letter that you are the problem.

I'll go a step further than the lock request. Please delete this thread, just ridiculous behavior on the OP's part.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2015
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Wow, Gempler states, "I am not sure where the term large that is often used to describe this model came from but I suppose it is because they are not the small version." So, GG answers that question, Gempler cops an attitude and finally posts, "Another letter to the corporate office appears to be in order."

Be sure to make it very clear in your letter that you are the problem.

I'll go a step further than the lock request. Please delete this thread, just ridiculous behavior on the OP's part.

You noticed! You'd think we were messing with his right to come here and peddle his stuff for ridiculous prices or something.