Sonore USB to I2S Interface

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited September 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Since I upgraded my analog, I decided some attention to my digital was in order. Namely the USB to I2S module in my dual mono DAC. Well implemented I2S can sound cleaner and clearer then SPDIF. I was using an Amaero USB to I2S module with no isolation. It did PCM and DSD. Overall a great little module for the money. SQ was very good.

amanero_usb_1_zps8f4d9320.jpg

I had ordered an isolation board for the Amanero but it was all SMD, or surface mount devices. Really tiny stuff. Even with the smallest tip on my iron, the tip was the same size as some of the parts. So I never completed the isolation board. It was quiet connected to my laptop running on battery, but with no isolation quiet USB can be more of an exception than a rule. Isolation also adds latency, so it's best to reclock after the isolation chips. The Sonore does, the Amanero needed MCLK attached to isolation board.

acko_boards.jpg

I had purchased the Sonore back in January. Just got around to installing it. Great design and high quality components are used. It has isolation, USB powers the dirty side of the board. You connect the clean side to a good clean 5v power supply.

It came with U.FL connections on it. U.FL connectors are commonly used in applications where space is of critical concern, like inside laptops to connect wi-fi antenna. Also, there are no pins sticking up that can act like antennas for RF. I had used coax connected to pins with the Amanero and still use it to connect to my SACD player interface.

I had to add three U.FL connectors to my OTTO II digital switch. A real pain. OTTO switches between my I2S/DSD (CD/SACD player) and the USB input. I ruined a couple by slipping with the iron and getting solder on the hub where the cable snaps on. IMO the best way to install the U.FL connector is tin one side ground, attach to board and do center pin conductor then the opposite ground. A quick DVM test shows if the center pin is shorted to the ground before connecting the cables and powering up.

I purchased the three U.FL cables. Making these could be a nightmare. Real tiny coax!

1024px-2_mm_SMD_UFL_Socket.jpg

sonore_1.jpg

sonore_2.jpg

sonore_4.jpg

From the Sonore thread at Audio Circle.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127689.0

Sonore-USB-1000a.png

STANDARD FEATURES
Custom 8x/4x/2x OSF using a semi minimum phase design for reduced pre-ringing
Jumper to allow bypass of on board regulator for direct 3.6 VDC
Multiplexed DSD/I2S
Bit Clock=Bit Clock DSD
Word Clock=Data L DSD
SData=Data R DSD
Master Clock=Master Clock
On board sample rate LEDs
On board power LEDs
On board signal lock PCM/DSD LEDs

SUPPORTED PCM RATES
44.1 KHz-384 KHz

SUPPORTED DSD RATES
2.8 MHz (DSD64) - DoP, native (via ASIO)
5.6 MHz (DSD128) - DoP, native (via ASIO)
11.2 MHz (DSD256) - native (via ASIO)
22.5 MHz (DSD512) - native (via ASIO)

COMPATIBILITY
Native support on Mac OS 10.6 and later
Native support on Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel
Support for Win XP to W8 32/64 bit

SPECIFICATIONS
Power input: 5VDC, ~300 mA
Width: 74mm
Depth: 104mm

Currently I am running it with a linear PS at 5v. I want to scope the PS to make sure it is low enough in noise to set to 3.6v and bypass the onboard regulator on the Sonore board. I haven't tried the optional OSF yet. Just DSD and regular PCM. The over sample filter oversamples to 352.8/384kHz, using specially developed proprietary digital filters. My DAC will play everything this USB module can handle.

The Sonore board has some nice Crystek clocks on it. It also has an MCLK output to replace the clock on the DAC and run synchronous. That would take some work with two DAC boards. The shorter the clock wire the better, which means relocating the Sonore module.

The Sonore board runs $359, but is well worth the coin for USB to I2S applications. Great design and high quality parts are used. I was amazed at the improvement in SQ, but also expected something for the investment over the Amanero. I'm also not comparing apples to apples. That is no isolation to isolated USB, and U.FL to coax/pins.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Jesus Rich, you never cease to amaze me at your talents. Ever think about a side business ? This bad boy you've built would probably fetch 4-5 g's on the open market.

Sweet indeed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    I was hoping you would get that installed so I could hear what you think of it. I almost bought another Amanero but wanted to hear your thoughts on the sonore. I hoped it would sound better since it costs more than 6 times the cost of the Amanero! Your dac is almost filled up. Don't think there's more you can put in it though. I know it sounds incredible! The Salas ps upgrade on my single buffalo made a huge difference. Looks like I'm ordering a sonore soon.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2015
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Jesus Rich, you never cease to amaze me at your talents. Ever think about a side business ? This bad boy you've built would probably fetch 4-5 g's on the open market.

Sweet indeed.

Thanks Tony. I'd probably get sued selling something using free ware software...lol Also, no time to support it. Maybe that will change soon when they hire someone here. The fellow that built the Arduino shield is back to studying so no boards available. He also rewrote the software making it easy to configure and use. I swear he must be the smartest guy in the Netherlands...
    bikerboy wrote: »
    I was hoping you would get that installed so I could hear what you think of it. I almost bought another Amanero but wanted to hear your thoughts on the sonore. I hoped it would sound better since it costs more than 6 times the cost of the Amanero! Your dac is almost filled up. Don't think there's more you can put in it though. I know it sounds incredible! The Salas ps upgrade on my single buffalo made a huge difference. Looks like I'm ordering a sonore soon.

According to barrows, the fellow that helped get this going with Jesus R at Sonore...

"This interface was borne out of frustration, as a USB interface with the performance and features we wanted for our Buffalo DACs was just not available."

I'd say it's a no holds barred effort with design and components used. Be real easy for you to disable onboard DAC clock and attach MCLK from Sonore board.

Someone sent me links to scope readings of the Twisted Pear power supplies and Salas power supplies. Salas shows a huge improvement in low noise levels. Fred had also told me that a long time ago as he uses Salas PS on his BIII DAC.

Do you have a 15v bipolar PS from Salas too for the I/V board or just the 5 volt? I just find the 5v PS group buy list (need two). I think I need to upgrade power supplies beyond the improved TP supplies currently available. Maybe just go with one Salas 15v bipolar for the I/V board instead of one for each channel.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    I use 2 sslv1.1 Salas ps for the balanced sections and a ti TPS7A3001 and TPS7A4901 for the balanced to se section. I also use a Salas reflector for the dac itself. I used the ti eval boards before the Salas and early tpa ps before that. The Salas ps are a real improvement! Looks like a Sonore usb is next. I also use a sonore pci usb adapter that isolates and filters the usb output from the pc but have a Salas reflector powering the Amanero. The pc sounds almost as good as the SD trans 384 that has I2S output.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    Gee Rich,I,m surprised you still had room in that chassis for another board.Great job and it looks like an excellent USB interface.I'm still just using the single SPDIF input on mine but may add a USB at some point.