Omni A1 amplifier

Have had everything in place for about two weeks now. Direct over WiFi - the sound is GREAT! Particularly when the amp is directly next to the WiFi router. It's far better than a hard wired connection using the computer's on-board (integrated) sound card even. I am hoping this might be fixed with a much better card such as an Asus Xonar Essence, but not certain there.

The biggest issues I have currently is an intermittent drop of audio every few minutes when listening at any sort of distance - such as in the next room over, about 20-30 feet away from the router. It's a beast of a router as well (Nighthawk X6 or some such animal, and we are able to connect with phones and tables anywhere in the house, backyard, and driveway with no problem on any of our other mobile devices.

Mind you, this is in addition to the 2-4 second latency the system exhibits 'normally'. The dropout is frustrating to say the least. Any thoughts as to what's going on here?

Thanks!
AVR: Denon X3200W
Mains: Polk TSx440T
Center: Polk CS10
Surround: Polk TSi300
Sub: Polk PSW110
Video: LG OLED65B6P Panel
BDP: Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray player

Comments

• I'll check with Polk's wireless help guys.
  • Hello,
    Here is the reply:

"Hi Ken,

Could be his router settings. Have him change these settings and see if performance improves,

1. Change your Wi-Fi channel off auto and to a non-overlapping number.
    2. Configure the QOS options on your router for our speakers to take priority.
    3. Set the speakers up on a 5.0ghz band.
    4. Lastly you should update the firmware on the router.

Here are some Netgear links on how to do so,

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23850/~/i-have-a-nighthawk-router;-what-is-quality-of-service-(qos)?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23852/~/how-do-i-optimize-my-internet-gaming-experience-with-upstream-quality-of

If he tries these steps and still has issues let us know.

Thanks,

Kennon Maddox
    Wireless Tech-Support

800-228-7148 Ext 5574"

Regards, Ken
  • The router uses twin 5.0 bands, and a single 2.4 band. I had it set for the 5.0 already, but was wondering if the 2.4 might be more effective? I know it's more prone to channel interference in that band, but it also reaches farther than the 5.0 signals do. That's correct isn't it? Also, already made sure router firmware is up to date.

I will have to check on the 'auto channel' issue and the QOS priority settings this weekend. Will report back with results once I have that sorted. Ken, thanks as always! You're always great with the techie questions!

Brian~
  • Hello,

"Ken,
    Yes the 2.4 will give him better range, but he is correct he will get more interference from this band as well. If it is far away then he may need an access point."

Regards, Ken
  • I guess "far away" is subjective. I wouldn't think +/- 30 feet and a single wall to be overly far away per se...doubly so with a $300 router. But I suppose this is as much art as science? :) Ken, I don't suppose you can confirm the sound quality difference I'm experiencing between the WiFi and the hard wired connection either? While the wire is preferred for eliminating the latency and dropout issues - the s.q. is noticeably lower than going wireless. I've been using thew WiFi for music, but have to switch back to the wire for video applications on the computer (as these are primarily computer speakers, video use is common). It's a bit of a pain, and unless I unplug the wire, and restart the entire computer, I often am left with a slightly scratchy audio signal when trying to switch back to the WiFi signal for music again.

It feels like I'm uncovering a number of small nags - none of which are deal breakers for me as yet...but it's a growing concern of course.
  • Hello,
    Here's the response:

"Ken-

30 feet is not too far, but you would be surprised how much Wi-Fi signals diminish on the 5.0ghz band. Thick walls, plaster, and any kind of metal framing don’t help either. As far as the wired connection is he using optical, aux or RCA,? They should sound the same as Wi-Fi out of them unless he has a bad cable, or is getting a lot of jitter/interference from his PCs sound card. If he wants to stream videos via the W amp he can use the PC app<https://play-fi.com/&gt; to stream any content from his PC to the amp over Wi-Fi."

Regards, Ken
  • Uilleann
    Uilleann Posts: 159
    edited September 2015
    The ability to stream with PlayFi doesn't seem to be the issue. (I think)... It's the 3-4 second latency delay that's killing me. Also, the wired connection I've been using is the 1/8 inch speaker out from the integrated sound on the MB, to the 1/8 in on the Omni. Am looking at a new Asus Xonar Essence card, with RCA out in the hopes that would help. If you'll pardon my computer sound illiteracy, can you help me to understand if that might be a worthwhile investment to make for the hardwired connection option?
  • Hello,
    "Polk is working with DTS to solve the delay problem, rest assured it will be solved as quickly as possible.
    The 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable should sound the same as the wireless unless your PC's MOBOs audio card or the cable is defective. If you want to put in an ASUS card in then he is more than welcome and he will definitely notice a difference. If he doesn’t want to add in a card then the Audioquest Dragonfly<http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac&gt; comes highly recommended. But it really should sound just as good, if not better via a cable. Maybe if he could describe the differences he is hearing we could get a better idea of the cause?"

Regards, Ken
  • I hadn't even given thought to the USB/DAC option. In truth, I was unaware such a beast existed. I was under the impression that a hardwired RCA cable from a high quality card like the Assus Xonar to the back of the Omni A1 would afford the best sound. At least as it stands now, the current on board sound (Realtek HD Audio version 6.0.1.7116, DirectX 11 and ALC887 codec installed) isn't cutting the proverbial mustard using the 1/8" cable. Could be a bad cable I suppose. But it makes sound, and doesn't sound much worse than my original old computer speakers did. But the Martin Logan's really expose the difference over the WiFi connection.

It's difficult for me to explain in articulate audiophile speak, but wirelessly, the sound feels more open, with greater depth, detail and presence to my ear. The little DAC from Audio Quest sounds like it might be just the thing. Of course, it has the added benefit of being a whole Benjamin less as well.

Interestingly, I am still getting random signal dropout, even with the Omni and the router right next to each other:
    82ibesxwgzx4.jpg
    I've double checked the channels (no auto, all set to non-overlapping etc), made sure the QoS was on and prioritized, made certain the 5.0 GHz band was selected, and verified the firmware of the router as suggested earlier.

I'm flummoxed at this point. It's not a consistent drop out at any sort of regular interval, and it sometimes lasts just a second or two, sometimes 3 or 4. And I can get a couple within a minute or two of each other, then nothing for another hour or so. Doesn't seem to be happening any more or less when more of the family is home and using the router bandwidth or not.

One last question here - and I suspect the suggestion for the DragonFly means this is already a moot point - can one connect the A1 to the computer directly via USB? I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about that possibility. I guessed it was there more for updates if needed. But that seemed strange too as it would normally just update wirelessly via the Android app correct? And that would also mean the A1 came equipped with it's own DAC...which I don't think it has?

Can you help me confirm any of that?

Cheers

B~
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2015
    Hello B,
    It might be prudent to work directly with Kennon, at Polk, either via email to: Kennon.Maddox@soundunited.com or telephone him at 1-800-228-7148 extension 5574
    Explain that you are the person who has been working with me via Club Polk and you might have a nonworking A1. There's also a wireless support team that is available during the weekend at 1-800-638-7276.
    Regards, Ken
  • Hate to revive my old thread here - but thought I might ask if Windows 10 is known not to play nice with the Omni A1 that you guys may be aware of? Ever since the "upgrade" from Microsoft (I had been using Win 8.1 and while the OS wasn't thrilling...at least the audio worked) my WiFi audio seems to not be getting through the amp to the speakers. I can get a signal from YouTube if I use a hardwire, and my Dragonfly USB DAC. But nothing now through the wireless option.

I see a new "video" feature has been made available - I assume to keep the audio properly synced to the vid without the lag and delay this set up had in the past. But regardless, it doesn't seem to be working now. Anything big I should be looking at first? TIA!

Brian~
  • I don't know the answer myself, but will forward it to Kennon, at Polk.
  • The recommendation is to contact DTS support at: support@plafi.com
    It seems the Playfi app for Windows 10 is not working well at present.

• The recommendation is to contact DTS support at: support@plafi.com
    It seems the Playfi app for Windows 10 is not working well at present.

Ugh. That's what I was afraid of. I don't suppose there's any word on higher bit rate support via WiFi on the Omni yet either is there? I've got a number of higher res files (96/24 & 192/24) I'd still like to run direct through the system...but I seem to recall this wasn't possible in the early builds. Just wondered if that might have been addressed yet either?

Thanks Ken!

Bri~

• "Ken,
    Hi-res playback is supported via all the apps but only to one speaker at a time."

• "Ken,
    Hi-res playback is supported via all the apps but only to one speaker at a time."

My understanding that hi-res input was ok, but that it was down-sampled to send wirelessly. And even then, 96/24 was the highest input available? Ken, thanks for your help with all the questions! Much appreciated here!!
  • No problem, it might a good idea to give the Polk wireless guys a call at 1-800-638-7276.