Can the location of the bass inductor in a SDA-1A affect bass output?

Options
Recently I tested three different bass inductors. I used a temporary terminal strip to make changing the inductors easy. I decided on the Solen.

I removed the temporary wiring and permanently installed the Solen. I have only finished one speaker but I believe there may be less bass. I checked polarity using a battery and everything checks out.

One thing that did change is that in the temporary setup the Solen was near the bottom of the cabinet mounted on the stiffener perpendicular to the back and now it has been moved just to the right of the original inductor and attached to the back of the cabinet parallel to the back.

Can the location of the bass inductor in a SDA-1A affect bass output?
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Absolutely. I believe most find it sounds best mounted to the cross brace as you had it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    Options
    Also make sure you use non-ferrous, non-magnetic mounting hardware, and keep it a safe distance from other Inductors.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I didn't want to say anything until I had a second listening session but after asking this question last night I moved it back to the cross brace and it is better there!

I will listen again tonight to confirm.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Options
    Westmassguy. What is a safe distance?
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Also make sure you use non-ferrous, non-magnetic mounting hardware, and keep it a safe distance from other Inductors.

I guess I should have asked about this before mounting my Erse inductors in my 2BTLs. I didn't seem to notice any bad effects between how I have them mounted now and when they were laying on the floor of the speakers for testing. My meter still reads the same if they are mounted this way or on the floor. Did I make a big mistake doing this that should be corrected?

vb4lezei39u7.jpg
    ydqq0wie0z3s.jpg
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • westmassguy
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Westmassguy. What is a safe distance?
    It depends, there are a lot of factors that come into play. The physical size of the inductor, orientation, type of inductor etc..
    If you have a big air core, which I believe the Solen is, It should be a good distance away.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited September 2015
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »

I guess I should have asked about this before mounting my Erse inductors in my 2BTLs. I didn't seem to notice any bad effects between how I have them mounted now and when they were laying on the floor of the speakers for testing. My meter still reads the same if they are mounted this way or on the floor. Did I make a big mistake doing this that should be corrected?

vb4lezei39u7.jpg
    ydqq0wie0z3s.jpg

I would have mounted it to the back wall, above the crossover, and close to the inside corner, or on the bottom, out in front as far as possible. The Erse have a focused magnetic field, so I'm not that concerned, it's the smaller air core's that would be affected more. Even though its mounted perpendicular to the closest small inductor, the Erse has a big chunk of steel inside.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • machone
    Options
    It is a Solen air core, 3.50" diameter and is cable tied to a 3d printed mount. Two screws attach the mount to the cabinet.

fpb71tv1asuc.jpg

neaafdr7cqah.jpg

I moved it far away from the stereo mid driver and tweeter circuitry but it is only a couple of inches from the SDA driver circuit. Probably OK but easy to move further away.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• westmassguy
    Options
    What kind of screws? They should be Stainless or Brass.
    As long as the windings are 90 degrees from the closest Inductor, you should be fine.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • machone
    Options
    Just wood screws. I'll change them out to SS tonight. Would that be 90 degrees from the centerline of the inductor? The centerline being like an axle attaching to a wheel.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• westmassguy
    Options
    7iqvuixrup28.gif
    Seeing is easier than describing it.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • machone
    Options
    A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks. :)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Options
    I moved the bass inductor further down, closed everything up and listened. I did not like the sound. It seemed like everything was there but not musical. I figured it must have been my mood. But then I moved it back and the good sound returned.
    I will listen again tonight. I need to make sure that it sounds good at the beginning of the session to eliminate system warmup as a variable.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4