A few questions on MIT cables.

After herring how highly regarded theses cables are on this site, I am strongly considering taking the plunge. I'm looking at the 8' pair of Shotgun S1 speaker cables on their clearance page, for $509. This is more than I would have ever considered spending on speaker cables, but I figure if they don't do it for me, I can sell them for little loss.

Out of curiosity, what is going on in the box that's inserted in the cable run? I read around on their web site, and couldn't really find an explanation.

Also, are these cables fairly supple? I only need about a 4' run, but I want 8' for possible future applications. Can I easily coil the extra cable behind the speakers?

How about the terminations? Are only spades available, or can you use bananas?

Thanks for any advice, this is a huge leap of faith for me - Never considered myself much of a cable aficionado...
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    They have what is called iconn connectors. My shot gun s1 came with spades and bananas. You can do full spades or full bananas or mix both (they thread on). There is a crossover network in the black box. These cables are not supple. Bulky huge network box with garden hose sized cable. It was a challenge to get them to fit behind my rack. The bulkiness is my only complaint with them. But, the network boxes are very light and athletically pleasing. I would say don't hesitate to buy them. Once broken in they are fantastic. You will notice immediate improvement with these over standard wire. There's a reason they are so often talked about, and highly regarded.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Magic is in those boxes. Pull the trigger and thank us later.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128
    I think this is the best explanation for what the MIT network box does. I stole it from the MIT six moon review. Simple to understand.

with different strengths. One cable may offer great bass but a rolled-off treble. Another might be the bee’s knees with highs but no bass. The third might display an awesome midrange but miss the frequency extremes. Now take those three cables and turn them into a single cable that shows all the strengths but none of the weaknesses. That in a nice neat nutshell is Multipole Technology. (Black network box).
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,783
    At that price you are stealing them. Run, don't walk to the buy page.

Do not coil, snake them.

In addition to the explanation above they use CVT couplers, which prevent back signal, hence a seriously directional cable.

These cables require burn in. They will start to sound better after 50 hours, but take a full 200 before fully cooked.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    F1nut wrote: »

These cables require burn in. They will start to sound better after 50 hours, but take a full 200 before fully cooked.

Silly question, but can I burn them in to the same load load bank that I burn amps in to (300w 8ohm resistors x2)? Or do they need to see the dynamic load of a speaker?

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,783
    They need the dynamic load of a speaker. In fact, they tell you not to use cable cookers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    I'm going to offer cautionary input - reflect verrry carefully on your "blissful" state of audio cable naivete. Once you hear what good cables do, you'll most likely be spoiled. You cannot unhear the refinements you'll experience. Are you prepared for that? B)

I echo the answers of the others on your other questions, especially to what's inside the boxes.

Indeed, a fantastic deal on S1's. I use S3's - lower down the line - and really enjoy them. If you can swing it, you may want to consider the IC's, as well, at some point, for best results. (see opening paragraph)
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited September 2015
    msg wrote: »
    I'm going to offer cautionary input - reflect verrry carefully on your "blissful" state of audio cable naivete. Once you hear what good cables do, you'll most likely be spoiled. You cannot unhear the refinements you'll experience. Are you prepared for that? B))

LOL.....good point bro. Kinda like drinking fine wine, hard to go back to the Gallo jugs after that.

Screamin' good deal on those cables, congrats. As usual, I recommend you get used to the sound for a month or so, then put your old cables back in and compare. My guess is you'll rip them back out before you hit the 3rd song faster than H9 at a tube garage sale.

Whats that strange sound your gonna hear ? It's your sac flapping in the wind of good sound....hold it steady.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg wrote: »
    Indeed, a fantastic deal on S1's. I use S3's - lower down the line - and really enjoy them. If you can swing it, you may want to consider the IC's, as well, at some point, for best results. (see opening paragraph)

I also have the S1 Speaker Wires, couple them with the S1 i/c's for their maximum potential.

Outstanding price on these wires as you will probably never see these prices again.

• daddyjt
    It's not often that everyone on a forum seems to agree on something. With that in mind, I placed my order just now. Should be here later this week:-)

$500 for speaker cables - Definitely a first for me... Nothing ventured, nothing gained:-)

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt wrote: »
    It's not often that everyone on a forum seems to agree on something. With that in mind, I placed my order just now. Should be here later this week:-)

$500 for speaker cables - Definitely a first for me... Nothing ventured, nothing gained:-)

This will be one of the best $500 bumps you ever put into your set-up, the original MSRP on these wires was over $1600 I believe.

As others have stated, be patient with the burn in, that process does take a while.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    daddyjt, if after you spend some time with them and get them good and burned in, if you don't think they are worth the price, hit me up and I'll take them off your hands. I have S3's currently.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128
    F1nut wrote: »
    They need the dynamic load of a speaker. In fact, they tell you not to use cable cookers.

I believe it's mentioned in the paper work that comes with the cables, that you can damage them with a cable cooker.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• daddyjt
    My cables arrived yesterday! My initial impressions started with the shipping box - extremely well packed in a HUGE box. Double boxed with packing peanuts - and these are speaker cables:-)

IMG_6061_zpstyrmluo5.jpg

IMG_6062_zps2fp7kgk3.jpg

Inside the box, foam inserts and heavy clear bags for each cable...

IMG_6063_zpsfomxyvya.jpg

And the cables themselves. Not nearly as heavy as I would expect, given the thickness. The build quality is first-rate, from everything I've seen so far. The termination system is outstanding, and the "box" integrated into the cable is HUGE - much bigger than I was expecting.

IMG_6064_zpsh3e7b5oo.jpg

I will get them into a system and post my impressions soon :)

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    Cool yes let us know!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • They will sound as solid as they look! Enjoy
  • Your gonna have to sell some of your hoard of amps to buy more once your hooked lol...

I see some 1.0t's coming on the market soon... :tongue: ......

Although with 11 of them in mono and then your other amps you could do a 11.4.4 system in your house lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mikeyb128
    Just picked up a biwire pair of these myself. I now need more monies to replace all the Nordost In my other system with MIT.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• tonyb
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Just picked up a biwire pair of these myself. I now need more monies to replace all the Nordost In my other system with MIT.

Ha....in my best Pauley Walnuts voice....."Somebodys got to go". Told ya man, those Nordost are ok if you an overly warm system, but very narrow soundstage.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I have to ask this. Knowing that if I hit the lottery of a desperate housewife not knowing MIT cables from lamp cord these would be in my system. With that being said I do have some what of a logistical problem. One 2B speaker about 7/8' away and would need a 10' MIT but my right side speaker is literally inches away from my amp and would only need 5'' or so. I heard that w/ boutique cables they should be the same length and the again not to coil them but lay them out as best I can behind my console. Is this right ? Also those magic boxes go towards the speaker end.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    tonyb wrote: »

Ha....in my best Pauley Walnuts voice....."Somebodys got to go". Told ya man, those Nordost are ok if you an overly warm system, but very narrow soundstage.
    Tony I have switched to Nordost Red Dawn LS speaker cables and can say my soundstage exploded, I'm hooked on these cables and my little Onix Tube integrated..

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • mikeyb128
    Jhayman wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Tony I have switched to Nordost Red Dawn LS speaker cables and can say my soundstage exploded, I'm hooked on these cables and my little Onix Tube integrated..

I have Nordost red dawn revision II's and heimdalls speaker cables.They are very detailed, fast and yes a little forward. I think shot gun s1's have a better sound stage. But, different electronics, room, speakers....
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2015
    This question is entering what seems to be religious ground.
    I'll ask this instead, what length cable are you thinking for the
    second cable and what are you plugging into?
    I have to ask this. Knowing that if I hit the lottery of a desperate housewife not knowing MIT cables from lamp cord these would be in my system. With that being said I do have some what of a logistical problem. One 2B speaker about 7/8' away and would need a 10' MIT but my right side speaker is literally inches away from my amp and would only need 5'' or so. I heard that w/ boutique cables they should be the same length and the again not to coil them but lay them out as best I can behind my console. Is this right ? Also those magic boxes go towards the speaker end.
  • tonyb
    LW,

In your case, an 8ft pair would suffice. Cables that are shielded won't matter much if you have a few feet extra on one side.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    First, I apologize for the lack of pictures in this post - I'll add them soon.

Got the S-1 speaker cables into my "test" rig - It's a modest setup that I use to test amps after I refurb/upgrade them. Carver 490t into a BillD C1, and in this case, into a restored M4.0t, into a pair od NHT 2.5. Interconnects are Kimber Silver Streak, and the MITs replaced some heavy gage Monster cables. I know it doesn't sound like much, but the chemistry of the pieces really works well.

My first test track is When You Say Nothing At All, by Allison Krauss. At the start of the song, there's a line about 20 sec in, where she sings"...you light up the dark". The "k" at the end of "dark" is such a tell for me on whatever system I'm listening to - It should come across as a subtle but distinct "kiss" of a sound - not muddy of hard to perceive, but crisp and clear. Then, when the track picks up, and her voice really opens up, lesser systems or components will render her voice as shrill, making the listener think "turn it down". With the right setup, and plenty of power, it should carry well, and even scare you a bit.

Anyway, I hooked the MITs up, and sat back for a listen. This is going to sound weird, so bear with me - The Carver C1 has a feature called "Sonic Holography". While opinions vary, I am personally not a fan of any equalization or modification of the signal - including Sonic Holography. However, when I played my Allison Krauss track, I thought "Damn - I must have bumped the Holography switch when I threw the 4.0t amp into the mix". But my very next thought was "Hey, Sonic Holography sounds pretty good on Allison's voice" (I have never used the feature on this particular recording). I listened to the whole track, got up to turn the Holography switch off, and you guessed it - It wasn't engaged. The difference to the depth of the soundstage was impossible to overlook, and there was a marked improvement in clarity and separation of vocals and instruments.

So far, I am very impressed. Looking forward to getting them into my main rig soon, but that's a herculean undertaking...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    Cool man, glad your diggin' 'em. Soundstaging is what they do best imho, everything else is gravy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's