Straight Outta Compton...

Options

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Also check out Tom Doud the language of music a lot about the bros in it really cool film
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Its not music. Its repetitive drivel performed by talantless people.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »

I don't care for rap but, damn, that seems a little harsh. It takes some level of talent, I couldn't make a rap song.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • deronb1
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

I don't care for rap but, damn, that seems a little harsh. It takes some level of talent, I couldn't make a rap song.

Sure you could! Anyone with a command of language can. Its not like singing well, or playing an instrument.

Sorry, if i came across as harsh, but after 11 yrs in the Army and nine years teaching in an inner city school, ive come to despise Rap.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Command of language fo sho
  • deronb1
    Options
    Command of language fo sho

Ha!

As a side note, anecdotal evidence has shown me that the folks who are totally into it and really embrace that lifestyle, listen to nothing else and are some of the dumbest people on the planet. Rant over.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    "Insane in the brain, insane in the membrane" oy vey
  • deronb1
    Options
    "Insane in the brain, insane in the membrane" oy vey

Oy vey eh? Not insane amigo, just tired of it.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Not you, just an example of an ignant rap lyric
  • deronb1
    Options
    Not you, just an example of an ignant rap lyric

Well yeah, there's plenty of em.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2015
    Options
    We are all entitled to our opinions and of course that are many that feel as you do. Still.........Its tough to generalize about the intellect of a whole genre of music artist . Yes, many would say that the average classical musician holds a higher education/degree than an average rapper. Yet there are classical musicians without any type of formal degrees or music training. Plus there are many rappers with college degrees, one who was a Pre-Med major at Brown University. Dr Dre, P Diddy, Jay Z are at the top of the food chain and some may feel that same way as you do about them. However, all have the right combination of education, street smarts, music talent, business savvy, drive and motivation to be considered major players by those smarter and richer than you or I. Not just in music but in business!

Yes, I agree that some rap sucks and the attitude and education of some of the artists and fans suck as well. However, there are some brilliant rappers out there who have the artistic gift and master of lyrics, flow, speech, poetry, story telling, rhyme, rhythm, composition, etc. One is DEAD WRONG to assume that there is NO talent in the rap industry. DEAD WRONG! If one does not like RAP, that is another thing........
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    We are all entitled to our opinions and of course that are many that feel as you do. Still.........Its tough to generalize about the intellect of a whole genre of music artist . Yes, many would say that the average classical musician holds a higher education/degree than an average rapper. Yet there are classical musicians without any type of formal degrees or music training. Plus there are many rappers with college degrees, one who was a Pre-Med major at Brown University. Dr Dre, P Diddy, Jay Z are at the top of the food chain and some may feel that same way as you do about them. However, all have the right combination of education, street smarts, music talent, business savvy, drive and motivation to be considered major players by those smarter and richer than you or I. Not just in music but in business!

Yes, I agree that some rap sucks and the attitude and education of some of the artists and fans suck as well. However, there are some brilliant rappers out there who have the artistic gift and master of lyrics, flow, speech, poetry, story telling, rhyme, rhythm, composition, etc. One is DEAD WRONG to assume that there is NO talent in the rap industry. DEAD WRONG! If one does not like RAP, that is another thing........

Well said....

• Conradicles
    Options
    I love Christian rap. There are some very talented rappers in the 116clique. Positive, encouraging music. Good stuff.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I don't own any rap albums, but I remember when it started. Everywhere I went it seemed either Rappers Delight, or Another One Bites the Dust. Yeah Queen got heavy air play on the local R&B station.

Personally, my least favorite genra of music is country. Many fans of this music say it tells a story.

Rap on the other hand doesn't necessarily tell a story, it more so makes a statement. The hood svcks, what did we do to be condemned here?

I grew up with people who are still there, personally I'll stay as far away a possible. Nothing close to what the members of NWA had to survive, probably the correct word, but close enough that some parents wouldn't let their teenage sons come anywhere my neighborhood at high noon.

Remember watching the movie Eight Mile, think that was the title. Liked it. Probably watch this one too.
  • deronb1
    Options
    I dont doubt the business acumen of many people in the Rap industry and im not classifying everyone who is in the business or listens to it as stupid. I guess i just dont agree with what many consider art or talant.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I kinda like "Ghetto Cowboy" :D
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rpf65
    Options
    Ghetto cowboy? Forgot I had a Rehab cd.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    Cowboy Troy comes to mind... Great stuff. Big and Rich are pretty cool too...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Ghetto cowboy? Forgot I had a Rehab cd.
    Yeah..Mo Thugs.

https://youtu.be/4MZn6wL4H5U
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • deronb1
    Options
    Thanks for making my point. C'mon man!
  • rpf65
    Options
    Think I'll stick with rehab
  • whgarrett1394
    Options
    The Beastie Boys?
    A Tribe Called Quest?
    The Fugees?
    Outkast?

Talentless?
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • deronb1
    Options
    The Beastie Boys?
    A Tribe Called Quest?
    The Fugees?
    Outkast?

Talentless?

Are they Rap? Or bands. If they sing and play instruments, then by definition, they are bands. Never heard of A Tribe Called Quest or the Fugees, but if Outkast does "Keep Em' Seperated", thats kind of a cool song, but not Rap.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Beaste Boys just plain ol suck.
  • rpf65
    Options
    Beaste Boys just plain ol suck.

Agreed. Rick James B****.
  • whgarrett1394
    Options
    OMG!! You dare rip the B-Boys! Lol! Im actually wearing a R.I.P. MCA shirt right now.
    (MCA aka Adam Yauch was a Beastie but died a couple years ago of cancer).

Different strokes I guess…..
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Are they Rap? Or bands. If they sing and play instruments, then by definition, they are bands. Never heard of A Tribe Called Quest or the Fugees,
    Believe me, I'm not the expert on rap or consider myself a huge rap fan or anything. I have certain songs and artists I like. However, I can certainly say that if you don't know who Tribe or the Fugees are that you have no idea who the rap fans/industry considers the best off all time....or the content of their work.

2Pac
    NAS - (Son of a jazz musician)
    The Notorious B.I.G. - (Mother was a School Teacher)
    Talib Kweli - (Mother is an English Teacher)
    Common - (Mother was a PhD educator/Principal/Business Manager)
    Rakim
    Eminem
    Jay Z
    Lupe Fiasco - (Mom is Gourmet Chef and Dad an Engineer/ Entrepreneur)
    Kanye West - (Mother was a Professor of English and Father a Photojournalists)
    KRS-One - Where does one start about this guy? A major social, political rap force and creater of the "Stop the Violence" movement.
    Throughout his 20 year career trajectory legendary pioneer Krist Parker who goes by the pseudonym KRS-One (Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone) has given fans over a dozen classic Hip-Hop albums, spoke at more then 500 universities/colleges including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Spelman, Howard and Oxford, been nominated for Grammy Awards, received multiple RIAA certified gold and platinum sales accolades and become the definitive source for conscious urban music. Nicknamed “The Teacha” the New York native and acclaimed MC has been honored by the United Nations, Billboard Magazine, The Source, BET Hip-Hop Awards, VH-1’s Hip-Hop Honors and Harvard University to name a few. He has been given the keys to the city in Kansas City, Philadelphia and Compton, was nominated for the NACA 1992 Harry Chapman Humanitarian Award, holds the Reebok Humanitarian Award and three Ampex Golden Reel Awards. KRS One is viewed as the embodiment of the philosophical, sociological and political worldview espoused originally by those that participate in Hip Hop’s culture. He is presently one of the most outspoken leaders of Hip Hop’s politics and tradition. His integration of Hip Hop and metaphysical knowledge resonates throughout his music, lectures, and writings as his powerful presence continues to inspire generations. As Rolling Stone once put it, “He’s one of the most influential lyricists of all time.”

The above are just some of the top 100. http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-rappers-of-all-time
    There is so much out there that I have not listen to. Yet, I've come across some creative stuff out of the small scratch of the surface.

Some are true poets, master of lyrics....if there is any talent in that. I know for a fact several of those guys are smarter than me....well that's not saying much....still, everyone in Rap is not dumb....that's just not a smart thing to say about any group that one does not know much about.
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,055
    Options
    The Beastie Boys?
    A Tribe Called Quest?
    The Fugees?
    Outkast?

Talentless?

Are they Rap? Or bands. If they sing and play instruments, then by definition, they are bands. Never heard of A Tribe Called Quest or the Fugees, but if Outkast does "Keep Em' Seperated", thats kind of a cool song, but not Rap.

That would be The Offspring.

Outkast: "I Like the Way You Move", "Hey Ya"

Not at all a fan of rap, especially gansta rap, but I have to agree with pretty much everything Walt (WLDock) has posted in this thread.

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • afterburnt
    Options
    NWA is still vile
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Beastie Boys are awesome, who doesn't like them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk