Straight Outta Compton...

Options
Me and the wife went to the movies and saw this today..

I have to say it was a great movie, the story kept you going from beginning to end, I remember back in the day when all of it went down, the movie exceeded my expectations...

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I want to see it, we will go Tuesday night on $5 dollar movie night, pretty good you say?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I used to love that CD. Probably still do, I need to rip it to the server. Will buy the BR when it is released.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I want to see it, we will go Tuesday night on $5 dollar movie night, pretty good you say?

Yep, very good. I will buy it on BluRay when it comes out..
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »

New truck set ya back? Lol.

We always go on Tuesday night even with $5 admission you still drop about $35 bucks when you get 2 popcorns and two pops. It's an outrage I tell ya!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I used to love that CD. Probably still do, I need to rip it to the server. Will buy the BR when it is released.

What was nice is the movie theater had the system up higher than normal for the movie, it had me bumping in the seat.. LOL!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Hey Ken,
    My understanding is you Canadians have your own Compton up there.....I believe you call it "Quebec". :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    I hate rap music and the culture that it spawned, so I won't be seeing this one. Yes I am curmudgeonly on this >:)
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2015
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    I hate rap music and the culture that it spawned, so I won't be seeing this one. Yes I am curmudgeonly on this >:)

Rap and crack, a couple generations lost on those two.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Pass I am wating fo the Joey Butafuco story
  • tonyb
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Pass I am wating fo the Joey Butafuco story

Sounds like a man with some worries. Rid the house of all the sharp knives did ya ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Just being selective about what kind of vile stuff that I choose for entertainment
  • tonyb
    Options
    Run DMC was the only rap I could swallow.....barely. Least their messaging was positive for the youths....unlike todays rap.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am with you... These guys were thugs, criminals and a$$ ole's to boot. I knew them all from my work installing audio and cell phones in their cars. They were world class p ricks then and should have been serving lengthy prison time rather than being celebrated on film as heroes.

Eazy was just a bit more laid back than the rest from what I saw of them, and he even admitted as much to me that drugs and bangin' is what gave them the money to start.

I saw him about a month or two before AIDS took his life. He seemed at peace somehow, still driving the last car I worked on for him. We talked a bit about how the scene had changed and he seemed almost sorry for the direction hip hop was taking at the time and the role he played in it. Could have been just an act for me but I doubt it. He left by giving me a bro-hug and said "I'll see you around"...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I am with you... These guys were thugs, criminals and a$$ ole's to boot. I knew them all from my work installing audio and cell phones in their cars. They were world class p ricks then and should have been serving lengthy prison time rather than being celebrated on film as heroes.

Eazy was just a bit more laid back than the rest from what I saw of them, and he even admitted as much to me that drugs and bangin' is what gave them the money to start.

I saw him about a month or two before AIDS took his life. He seemed at peace somehow, still driving the last car I worked on for him. We talked a bit about how the scene had changed and he seemed almost sorry for the direction hip hop was taking at the time and the role he played in it. Could have been just an act for me but I doubt it. He left by giving me a bro-hug and said "I'll see you around"...

Wow! Great story man! I grew up in the 90's and early 2000's. So I'm looking forward to this flick.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• afterburnt
    Options
    I lived in the hood in the 90's so I am not
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yeah, the whole Gangsta' rap movement by the likes of NWA was a tough one to swallow. There was and still is fun, motivating, and positive rap out there. However, the industry got flooded with a lot of hard edged stuff. The hard edge story of the streets had to be told as it represents the culture and the life that some lived or seen where they come from. Still, it does make you think how much influence does the music actually have??

Nevertheless, make no mistake, Jazz/Be Bop and Rap/Hip Hop are intertwined. Both are Black American music art-forms based on improvisation and flow. One Alternative Hip Hop group, A Tribe Called Quest, actually stated that NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" album as an influence for their first Album. However, Tribe is one of the positive message "Alternative" Hip Hop groups that actually clearly displayed the connection of Jazz and Hip Hop on their second album. They actually hire Jazz Bassist Ron Carter to play on the track "Verses from the Abstract" on the album The Low End Theory.

A Tribe Called Quest - Verses From The Abstract
    https://youtu.be/p8iGF3M4IHc

A Tribe Called Quest - Jazz (We've Got)
    https://youtu.be/DvzOfm0ZhS8

A Tribe Called Quest - Excursions
    https://youtu.be/NZWS6CITutY

No different than other genres....there are several variations within the genre. Jazz, Rap, Rock, etc....there are SO many forms and sounds. I like some rap but have few albums in my collection. A Tribe Called Quest is one of the few that I have two or three of.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Well our parents were not the most happy campers with our AC-DC, Kiss etc in the 70's/80's either
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Did AC DC write anything like "one less"?
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Well our parents were not the most happy campers with our AC-DC, Kiss etc in the 70's/80's either

I'm old, Ten Years After, Spooky Tooth, Black Sabbath, black lights
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I'm old, Ten Years After, Spooky Tooth, Black Sabbath, black lights

And what did your mama think?...her coming off the days of Perry Como when Elvis had his first hit

I'm still a huge Black Sabbath fan
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    Ontario may have its fare share of crap, I would Say Vancouver is the Capital of Compton up here..lol
    nbrowser wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Hey Ken,
    My understanding is you Canadians have your own Compton up there.....I believe you call it "Quebec". :D

Close, Ontario :)

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Who had the crack smoking mayor? And I don't mean Washington DC with Marion Barry. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    There are plenty of Rock, Metal, and Punk groups out there that spewed Drugs, Violence, and plenty of a$$ in the brains of our youths in the last 40 years or better just as N,W,A did..

There's not a lot of difference between Black Sabbath and N,W,A, if not for the dark world they grew up in we wouldn't be talking about them today.. I personally love the brutal honesty of them and the art they created because of it, I may not like all of it but I can respect the art created..

I love Rage against the Machine for the same reasons, I may not agree with all their views but I respect the fact they created art that gives you something to think about, and think for yourself attitude..
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Art? Now Jackson Polok is art!
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    WLDock, thanks for those links...
  • whgarrett1394
    Options
    Definitely not going to see it until its out on Blu-ray. Not the kind of movie I see in the theater. I did, however, go today and try to pick up Dre's new album Compton. Love hip hop. Love gangster rap. Love Kanye West.
    I Feel A Woot Comin' On Cuz! Woot.....There It Was.
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options

That's Our claim to fame, but I think his dealer was from Vancouver, lol
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Who had the crack smoking mayor? And I don't mean Washington DC with Marion Barry. :)

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Nope, we just got the green stuff here in spades apparently...no crack...unless it's plumbers crack!

All drugs are everywhere.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    I don't care for opera but have seen movies about that genre, don't care for ballet but have seen those movies too. We'll be skipping this one, no time for rap.

I'm waiting for the story of the Allman Brothers....
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.