Sound question

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,871
I wasn't sure where to post this as it involves: electronics, cables and hook up.

I'm looking at replacing our Panny Plasma, 42" with something in the 60" range. I was thinking of going 4k (so I don't have to upgrade in a couple years). I would also be picking up a 4K(ish) bluray player. My questions are as follows. My recent purchase of RX A1010 allows 1080p through HDMI, I know this will not allow the 4k pass-through but will stop at 1080p. Can I run HDMI from BRP to TV then a second one back to the receiver (in order to get the best sound formats), as I know toslink or coax do not support those. My reason for purchases are:

BRP- we have a 6 yr old LG DVDP, I thought we could use a new one and use the apps on it too like Netflix (right now Boxee only has 2ch output whereas my PS3 which died has DD)

TV- We want something bigger for our room. Now this got me thinking, the TV has apps, so perhaps I could get the benefits of using the apps.

I'm simply (or perhaps not) trying to get the best sound and picture without replacing my receiver. Am I making sense or are my thoughts faster than my typing and not coherent?

Thanks

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Depends Willow.

I'd run the BRP hdmi to receiver then to tv. A 4k TV will still upconvert to higher resolutions than 1080p.

Also, many 4k TV's do not have audio outputs....of any kind, so be careful in your choices. Not all, but a number of them don't, so look before ya leap.

Apps on 4k TV's.....again, some work well, some don't, do your research. 2013-14 models are hit and miss, 2015 models are better. Having both apps on the tv and BRP is kinda redundant.

If you want to replace the player, OPPO's have dual hdmi outs so you can run one direct to the tv and one direct to the receiver, for those times you don't want the whole system on to watch a movie.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Thanks Tony for the details. I remember reading that the 4k tvs upconvert but it never crossed my mind. I'm not in a big rush to purchase, just looking and doing some research right now. It might boil down to simply just getting a smart BRP and keeping my plasma for awhile seeing as there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Willow, one other thing I forgot to mention about 4k TV's as compared to your plasma.
    They sound like arse with the built in tv speakers, most anyway. It's almost a given that a soundbar or stereo system would have to accompany it. Not all mind you, but enough to make you check it out before buying.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When using optical audio out of a tv 9/10 times it's going to down mix to ProLogicII.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma