VTI Rack Hangover

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited August 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
So lets say you are out of rack space....why just make a hangover shelf. Aaron's bro glued some red oak together and I drilled post holes, routed the edges and finished it. The shelf is a little over 5/8" thick and the Bottlehead Eros isn't that heavy. One application of maple stain, several satin poly coats with 400 between each coat. I just need slightly longer IC's or move the 7" and 9" sections to get the pre on second shelf instead of DAC.

vti_hangover_1.jpg

vti_hangover.jpg
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Look's fantastic, excellent way to extend the rack sir.

Cheers
    Roger
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Nice fix Rich! I could have use something like that :)

Aaron brother sure does some nice work too.

I sent my Parasound Zphono to Ken mainly because it was to big for what room I had on my audio rack, so I switched now to the Vincent pho-8 that would fit next to my TT!
    kvzkbyjjt04k.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Looks good Rich, and a perfect solution for having too much gear! ha!

I've seen a rack pictured somewhere that had the self extended on both sides of the main rack, making room for two smaller components.

• SCompRacer
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!
    voltz wrote: »
    I could have use something like that :)

Kind of tough to make one out of glass though! Nice rack! Good looking gear!

voltz wrote: »
    Aaron brother sure does some nice work too.

Yes he does! (It runs in the family). He's got tools and skillz. I've been wondering if we should make a custom rack provided he has enough material.

[/quote]

.....and a perfect solution for having too much gear! ha!

Too much? Can we ever have tooooooo much? lol I had a double wide rack at one time, but a speaker/system change had me going down to a single wide. Then I grew out of it. A 1 & 1/2 wide would be perfect now!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    What is the white thing in the lower right that looks like a water filter? You have water cooling for your amp?

Very nice idea on the rack by the way....I love the price/performance/looks of the VTI products.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2015
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    What is the white thing in the lower right that looks like a water filter? You have water cooling for your amp?

Very nice idea on the rack by the way....I love the price/performance/looks of the VTI products.

Thanks! Water cooling of the amp and tube gear isn't a bad idea, but there is no water in that housing.

The whole house water filter housing is used both as a reservoir and expansion chamber to smooth out the air pump pulses for the air bearing tone arm. The thin outer shell of a filter was left in there to trap any possible impurities so the tiny holes in the arm won't plug up. Some folks build their chambers out of large PVC pipe.

The 'water filter' was part of the package deal with the linear air bearing arm/compressor. It was purchased here in our flea market a couple years ago from docilantro.

The compressor is mounted in the basement. The air line goes through the wall and exits through a push lock fitting mounted in a wall plate (phone, network, minus video now). It exits wall between the amp and right speaker where my gear used to be. The air line is covered with Techflex sleeving now for looks and runs along the IC's/power wires to the rack.

wallair.jpg

salk_ss8_system_11-1.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,908
    Options
    Great idea!! Looks great!!