Appropriate adhesive - rubber to metal w/textured finish

msg
msg Posts: 9,272
edited August 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have some acoustic mastic that I bought years ago from McMaster-Carr. It's heavy, rubbery stuff, and is supposed to work as an acoustic damping material, like Dynamat. It does work pretty well for deadening. I've used it before to line the tinny doors, floor, and body of an older Toyota pickup when I was installing a stereo.

I'm trying to damp the bases of the Sanus SF26 stands I've been playing around with, but the adhesive on the mastic sheets is a bit weak now, and to complicate things further, the stands have a textured finish, so the mastic strips I've cut aren't sticking. I cleaned the surface of the stand with isopropyl, and have also tried heating both the stand and mastic, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone know of any liquid adhesive I could use for this? I've considered using thin double-sided tape, as well, or just abandoning and buying some Dynamat, but would really like to make this work. It's good stuff if I can get it applied.

Also need to source locally a narrow, firm roller to really stick this stuff down.

I'd like this to be neat, so whatever I use has to clean up nicely and not compromise the damping effect of the mastic, like maybe an adhesive that hardens might.

I have some Gorilla Glue but haven't even opened it because, frankly, I can't really see it being good for anything. I tried some several years ago, and that expandy bs makes it more of a nuisance than its worth, imho.

If you have any ideas, feel welcome to let 'em rip.
Thanks

l8j6hbycb7ts.jpg
u6rca4gceb1t.jpg
tvzowhzjqsoh.jpg
I disabled signatures.
Post edited by msg on

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    The 3M VHB tape would work.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    thanks guys, I'll look into these.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    F1nut wrote: »
    The 3M VHB tape would work.
    This above or brush on contact cement to both then let dry and apply now as you know get where you want first as when they both touch it will be game over as it will be stuck

• msg
    edited August 2015
    Hey guys, just reporting back. I really wanted to try to get this going this weekend, and none of the standard big-box shops had any of the acoustical sealant or 3M VHB. Pit - I was out and about before seeing your recommendation. I had considered something like contact cement, but I've never used it and wasn't really sure what to expect, and it just screams "mess" hehe :)

I also stopped by a couple of auto places to see what they had, and not much really seemed appropriate. However, I did see that there were some spray adhesives for affixing trim and such, and it got me thinking. I thought I had some spray adhesive at home, so decided I'd give that a shot to see how it would work before buying more.

So I had an old can of Elmer's Spray Adhesive, almost empty, but was juuuuust enough to experiment on those four strips of mastic. I took them outside and laid them out close together on cardboard. They recommend spraying both surfaces to be bonded, but I didn't want the hassle of spraying the stand, so I went with a single heavy coat on the strips only, put down in a couple of passes about 4" away. For permanent bond they recommend immediate affixing, as opposed to waiting for dry/tack time, so that's what I did, and had them all on probably within 2 minutes or so of spraying.

So far so good. The strips went down pretty close and pretty tight. In fact, I started to place one not quite right and it was already a little difficult to move even with just an edge partially applied. Got them down, pressed, and it looks like this is going to do the trick, nice and neat. Gave them a quick wipe with a cloth dampened with some acetone. The corners aren't lifting or anything. The heavy spray coat should probably get enough into the textured finish of the stands. I'm gonna run out and try to find some more real quick and knock this out.

Since I have so much of this mastic laying around, I'm wondering whether there would be any benefit to doing a double layer?

http://elmers.com/product/detail/E451
    asfiyv9p0hby.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited August 2015
    Like much of this hobby, doesn't look like I'll be getting out of this cheaply after all.

Upon inspection of the stands this morning after standing upright overnight, the edges of the mastic are starting to lift; beginnings of curling. Not by much, but over time, I think they'll probably fall off under their own weight. Luckily I only finished cutting the material yesterday, and didn't get the rest of it mounted. I went with a double layer on the strips for added weight, so I imagine this will only happen faster.

I'm going to try the 3M Super 77 or maybe the 3M Super 90 spray adhesive, paying careful attention to the ends. In the meantime, I'll order some 3M VHB tape, and maybe just use that at the edges/ends if the 77 or 90 doesn't hold up. It's really just the edges that seem to need the extra attention; this stuff is typically stored rolled up, so the tendency is to lift, especially with shorter strips and probably more so now that it's doubled up.

I know I could just go with Dynamat and be done with it, but I'm already into it, so just detailing the process in case anyone can use info on use of these types of materials and adhesives.

3g1hqatdcygj.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    msg wrote: »
    I'm going to try the 3M Super 77 or maybe the 3M Super 90 spray adhesive

both of these like the Elmer are a type of contact adhesive and like brush on contact adhesive it will only stick to contact cement. spray both then let dry THEN place where you want. Unless there is more of a problem than we know it should work well. Putting on the VHB 3m might not work as well now that there is going to be another layer of junk between it and what you really want to glue.

• msg
    edited August 2015
    ah, gotcha. probably why they say to spray both surfaces and let tack up.
    I was trying to get away from doing anything on the stands directly, simply due to the prep time to keep it neat and clean; taping/masking application areas and such. I have four of these to do at four strips each; that's a lot of tape work.

good point on adding VHB at this point.

I was thinking the bonding strength and finish state of the Elmers just wasn't strong enough. I thought that immediately affixing the strips to the stand would result in a more stronger more permanent bond per the instructions, but it's looking like you say - I need to prep both surfaces for best results.

this is seemingly becoming a much "bigger deal" than it needs to be :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    that is why i recommended brush on:) only goes where you stroke it
  • msg
    there's a joke in there somewhere, I'm sure, lol

hehe, yeah, I was just realizing that, and was thinking earlier whether there may be a way for me to spray it into a cup and apply it by acid brush or something.
    I disabled signatures.