SDA CRS+ Speaker Stand Alternatives

Options
I had been looking for cheap stands for SDA CRS+ to replace the bar stools I had been using. I would have liked to have gotten the originals but they are hard to find and usually come with a pair of speakers at an additional cost. I ordered some Bose FS-1 from Amazon because them were the correct height and had a large top plate. Before I opened them I was at Costco I saw a pair of "occasional" tables that look to be made very much like the original Polk stands. They look like they will work as far as the dimensions but are 26 inches tall.

Which would you choose?vtrt6ubs7i4a.jpg
6gh3f72f8v7i.jpg
smbmh0h27tqr.jpg

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't get those Bose Stands they won't be sturdy enough the only thing holding them together are 3, 3 inch screws from the bottom plate into the silver supports believe me we have a pair of those stands. Before I found a pair of OEM stands for my CRS+s I was seriously considering a 10 gallon aquarium stand two of them. I think you should go to a Pet Co or Pets Mart, they have a lot to chose from and would be perfect for your CRS+s.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Speaker stands should have mass with the ability to be spiked. Mass is usually obtained by filling the column(s) with lead shot, sand or a combonation of both.

Those tables would not make good stands. The Bose stands I don't know about, can they be filled?

Sanus SF stands would be a good choice turned side ways.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Those Bose stands were made for 301s, which weigh about 10 lbs each. They will not hold the weight of the CRS+s. I have a pair of those stands, and had to modify them. The CRSs will sway in all directions, and unstable.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    I used 2 stands per speaker & they worked ok. They were square on bottom & i placed them touching each other at the base. I have no kids at home or big dogs that would take a chance of hitting them....Depending on budget id go with a nice set of spiked one like F1 suggested & you may even hear some improvements by going that way
    Randy/Maine
  • hallga77
    hallga77 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I was afraid you'd nix my thrifty (read cheap) ideas. I search for proper speaker stands at a reasonable price. I had checked into the aquarium stands but they are getting up near the price of real stands. One of the guys at my local hi fi shop said he might have a 24in. pair of Sound Organisation stands he would be willing to sell.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Buy you a set of these in the color of your choice and enjoy your CRS speakers.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winsome-Square-Leg-Stool-Set-of-2/22063713

The original CRS stands were nothing special as far as I can tell. Some square tubing welded together. Take the money you will save on stands and buy something that will make a real difference in how your CRS sound... like a pair of Erse Super Q inductors or some better tweeters.

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Can you spike them :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    The original CRS stands were nothing special as far as I can tell. Some square tubing welded together.

They are purpose built stands with spikes. Filled with 23 lbs. of lead shot in each stand and you've got the perfect stand for those speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Fashion something out of PVC fill with lead and paint it black
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    There you go with the "black paint " silly talk. You do know it can't be found...
  • PolkieMan
    Options
    haha, just killer, 50 shades of gray?
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    There you go with the "black paint " silly talk. You do know it can't be found...

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    Options
    These are awesome!! LOL!!!
    tyzaz70wlhb8.jpg
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    If you ever decide to make a set for sale I'll be the first in line, money in hand. Those are incredibly nice!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • PolkieMan
    Options
    Kinda makes you wonder (because they are not very large) why they quit making them, remember the excuse was their size :-)
  • Salicete
    Salicete Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I needed a set for mine, $45 worth of 1/8 thick square steel, a MIG welder, some appropriare feet, and voila.

In the raw:

IMG_1015.jpg

Painted, filled with lead shot, nice square black rubber plugs ($1 at Home Depot) put into the ends of the bar to contain the shot, and then speakers Installed.

Still need to route the wiring neatly.

IMG_1020.jpg
    Post edited by Salicete on
  • lms
    lms Posts: 26
    Options
    I just picked up some crs speakers with their stands, what size spike will fit the holes in the bottom? Also, there are openings on the backside/bottom of the stands, how does one fill the stands with lead/sand without it coming out? Were there plugs?
  • F1nut
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thread size is 1/4-20. There were square plastic plugs/caps.

President of Club Polk

• lms
    Options
    Ahhh, okay. Oh well in regard to the plugs, Ill figure something out to make it work.
    Thx. much.
  • lms
    Options
    Just in case anyone else is looking, I found these, and they fit perfectly. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334291106820