Benchmark DAC1 versus DAC2

Options
2»

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    DAC2 summary; Lots of drive and excitement. The music has body and serious depth. Nutshell: If you liked the DAC1, you'll love the DAC2.

I'm just over a few weeks in with my dac 2. I'm so impressed with this thing. It's so smooth, huge soundstage, very dynamic, some music goes from quiet one minute to exploding the next. Love the remote, couldn't believe I went so long without one. Love the trigger for my amps, although the trigger is very close to the iec outlet. I use an aftermarket power cable with hospital grade connector so it crowds the trigger. I actually had to trim the body of the trigger wire connector with a razor blade to get it to fit next to the iec plug.

The only negative is my sub has a loud thump when powering down. Seems only to be the unbalanced outs that do this. The balanced out to my amps don't do this. Seems from research this is normal though. I've noticed right out of the box without messing with the xlr jumpers this thing is a lot louder than my dac1, but would have to crack it open and see what the attenuators are set at to truely be sure.

Even my girl friend says it sounds better than the dac1/pre. This is a big deal because she doesn't notice these sorts of things.This little box packs A serious amount of features. I think the improvement over the dac 1 is huge. Also love the black over silver.

The benchmark can also be set for USB 1.1 and 2.0. I noticed quite a jump in sound with 2.0 seems to have finer detail. Forgive me for maybe not explaining myself the best, I'm not an audiophile by any means, but this thing sound fu$&@g great to my ears. Glad I took the leap.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks skip. I find 2 channel listening much more rewarding. I enjoy the simplicity of it. I have a bad **** home theater I rarely use. So much going on in that system, so complicated... I can listen to music for hours. I'm good for about one movie, then boredom ensues. I've even thought of downsizing and putting the cash into my 2 channel system.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you go to "standby" (just press "off" once) rather than full shutdown mode, you won't get the thump. Alternatively, if you power up the DAC2 first, then your amp you'll also eliminate the thump.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2