Going Sealed..

Hey all. I am having to move to a much smaller living space and can no longer use my PB1000s :(. The PB1000s will be used at the folks place...they are quite happy. As such, I'm looking into sealed subs b/c of their smaller size. Besides SVS, anyone hear know other options within the 500 dollar and under price range ( can't go higher than that )? Found thru local CL a lightly used B&W ASW600 for an asking price of 250, but they are willing to sell for 200. This a good option? Any thoughts would a great help..thanks y'all. Kinda bummed out :(...
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Definitive makes good compact sealed subwoofers. The Supercube 2000 can be found for around $500 new, maybe a little bit more.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited July 2015
    If you have minimal DYI skills, then I owned this one and it is very solid for the money:
    http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-t1004k-10-titanic-mk-4-subwoofer-kit--300-760

If you can go a little over budget, this will give you deeper bass, and I have found the reference woofers to be a bit faster than the titanic woofers:
    http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs1200k-12-reference-series-500-watt-subwoofer-kit--300-742

Of course if you are willing to go used, the options really open up. The most "musical' subs I have owned are an ACI Force (by far the best, and its tiny!), and a Mirage BPS 150i (check the dimensions, though, it might not be small enough).

Another option: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-rel-strata-iii-subwoofer-black-rel-strata-3-very-nice-condition-425-2015-07-27-home-theater-60016-des-plaines-il

I'm sure you saw this: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-svs-powered-subwoofer-sb-1000-2015-07-25-home-theater-95624-elk-grove-ca

I would also look at used M&K, and velodyne HGS and SPS series. I owned the SPS-10 and it packs a punch for such a little guy. Oh and look at Martin Logan Dynamo - the original version, not the new 300, 500, etc.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Thanks for the input y'all. I'll see about these options...;)
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    Did some research on the options that was given to me so far (again thanks rooftop and emlyn). While the supercubes seem like a promising option, there is a recall on certain models and is slightly out of my price range (599). Those Dayton DIY sub kits seem like good quality...those drivers look beefy. How reliable are their amps? If i was going to go that route, I'll have to settle for the Titan mk4...price and size. Downside maybe..extension only to 30hz?...

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Doesn't seem like you've had you SVS for very long. Are you aware of their 1 year trade up policy?
  • felipe
    Hi Ken. One of them I've had more than a year, the other I've had for only a few months. I was thinking about the trade up policy, but since my folks are enjoying them now that option might not be that easy lol :wink:

I've never had to ship anything as heavy as this sub before (granted if I'm able to go the trade up route). I'm assuming it can be costly?

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I know svs wasn't wanted to be mentioned. But I picked up an svs sb1000 for my 2 channel rig. 13 inch cube and is absolutely amazing, clean svs bass in stint cube and peaks at 700 watts. I run it at a 1/4 volume and kicks some serious ****.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I know svs wasn't wanted to be mentioned. But I picked up an svs sb1000 for my 2 channel rig. 13 inch cube and is absolutely amazing, clean svs bass in stint cube and peaks at 700 watts. I run it at a 1/4 volume and kicks some serious ****.

I'd probably do the same.

Regarding Definitive, I was not aware, but there was a safety recall of Supercube 2000's made during the month of September 2012. Turned out they had the possibility of sending 120volts through the rear panel connectors. Ouch!

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/supercube2000-recall
  • mikeyb128
    Emlyn wrote: »

I'd probably do the same.

Regarding Definitive, I was not aware, but there was a safety recall of Supercube 2000's made during the month of September 2012. Turned out they had the possibility of sending 120volts through the rear panel connectors. Ouch!

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/supercube2000-recall

Yikes! And by stint, I meant tiny. Stupid auto correct.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• felipe

It's not that I didn't want SVS to be mentioned, I just was looking to see if there was alternatives to SVS. The SB1000 is hard to find a comparable one to...for my budget anyway. The search continues...;P

• mikeyb128
    felipe wrote: »

It's not that I didn't want SVS to be mentioned, I just was looking to see if there was alternatives to SVS. The SB1000 is hard to find a comparable one to...for my budget anyway. The search continues...;P

You said 500$ budget. The sb1000 is 499 and since you are a repeat buyer you get a discount. Or do you want a pair for 500$? Not much will compare for the price unless you do a diy, like a Marty cube or something.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• felipe
    I can get a discount? How? I was looking at those DIY sub kits rooftop suggested...well built drivers...

• mikeyb128
    I get a 5% discount for every sub I buy from svs (sonic boom in Canada) I don't image it's different in the U.S. Of A. And those Marty cube flat packs are deadly for the price. My buddy has two, and he works in autobody so has a mirror black finish.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    This guy might have a martycube that's straight up nutzo....

I love it but its big and it cost over 500 all said and done since I bought a CNC kit rather than build....

Driver (200) + Amp (280) + sub (-150).... But it's hard to beat......

If interested I can post the link to my build thread again with pics and measurements...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    Those Dayton DIY sub kits seem like good quality...those drivers look beefy. How reliable are their amps? If i was going to go that route, I'll have to settle for the Titan mk4...price and size. Downside maybe..extension only to 30hz?...

Yea the Dayton will be a steep down in terms of extension, but it's really tight and pounds. The output is insane for the size, and you do get some action down to 25hz, but its a pretty steep drop off after 30. I own the much older version of your current svs sub, and I can say that the titanic 10 in sealed and the svs 10 in ported are just not in the same category. It will be a pretty significant step down for home theater, but for music you might not really notice...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • felipe
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Those Dayton DIY sub kits seem like good quality...those drivers look beefy. How reliable are their amps? If i was going to go that route, I'll have to settle for the Titan mk4...price and size. Downside maybe..extension only to 30hz?...

Yea the Dayton will be a steep down in terms of extension, but it's really tight and pounds. The output is insane for the size, and you do get some action down to 25hz, but its a pretty steep drop off after 30. I own the much older version of your current svs sub, and I can say that the titanic 10 in sealed and the svs 10 in ported are just not in the same category. It will be a pretty significant step down for home theater, but for music you might not really notice...

Yeah I figured it would be a step down for HT...so is moving to a smaller space..lol.

• felipe
    It looks like my folks are keeping the PB1000's....damn lol. It boils down to the SB1000 or the def tech supercube 2000 ( I can get it for under 400 open box at local BB ). Of course, I gotta see if it's one of those defective ones. If not so, I might lean that direction. Anyone have personal experience with the SC2000? Manual stated you might here a "pop" when it turns on and off, but it states that it's normal. If any experience, does this "pop" happen to you? how loud is it?

• felipe
    Polk PSW10...40.00...new in box never used..worth it? Cant really shake the walls anymore. Looking to just fill in the bottom end..

• mikeyb128
    Polk PSW10...40.00...new in box never used..worth it? Cant really shake the walls anymore. Looking to just fill in the bottom end..

You can still fill in the bottom end with a decent sub, and turn the volume knob down so you don't shake the walls. I would rather have quality bass at a low volume than cheap crappy bass.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• felipe
    edited August 2015

You can still fill in the bottom end with a decent sub, and turn the volume knob down so you don't shake the walls. I would rather have quality bass at a low volume than cheap crappy bass.

I agree. What I meant by "cant really shake the walls anymore" was that Ill be moving to a smaller living space (apartment), and that was no longer a viable option lol. I figured since I found the PSW10 for 40.00 BNIB on local CL that it would fit the bill to "fill in the bottom end". So far, its been voted a "not worth it". I've never owned one so thats why I was asking?

• mikeyb128
    Polk subs aren't great. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my psw505, micro pro 3000, and dsw 500.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Polk subs aren't great. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my psw505, micro pro 3000, and dsw 500.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• rooftop59
    the psw10 doesn't do much below 40hz, and the bass is sloppy, indefinite, and if you turn it up at all it will chuff. And yes I did own one. Lots of decent little used subs out there, I like older mirage and energy. Or just get an HSU STF-1, it is clean and tight and will destroy the polk. I would get it over the supercub personally; those def techs are pretty overrated imo...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • felipe
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Looks like I've narrowed my options down to the SB1000 or the Dayton Audio Titanic 10" sub kit ( I've took into consideration size,dimensions,budget, quality of components, etc..). I know I'm going to sacrifice extension compared to what I'm used to with the PB1000s. Between these two, which would have the "better" below 30hz response?

• felipe
    Pulled the trigger on an outlet SB1000...this sub is TINY! Chose this instead of the dayton titanic b/c of better warranty ( 5 years versus 5 years driver/1 year amp for the dayton ).

First impressions..detailed an articulate. This is my first sealed sub. It will take some getting used to coming from dual ported subs, but so far I'm liking the little sub ;). I'll post further impressions once I get to my test movies ( Pacific Rim, Interstellar, Star Trek, etc. )

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Good call. You know the drill, pics or it didn't happen...
  • felipe
    Thanks Ken. I would like to post some pics, but don't know how..especially with my IPad...

Meanwhile, I'm watching Interstellar, and this "kitten" sized cube has the roar of a Lion! Granted, it's not shaking the house as my dual PB's did ( not expected to ), but it's output certainly belies it's size.

• mikeyb128
    The size output ratio is awesome. Tiny cube and nice and clean sound. Svs is always a safe choice.cant beat it for the money, I love mine.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• felipe
    I still cannot upload my pics ( even tried on my laptop PC ). Might be something wrong with the website.

Anywho, I've watched a few more movies ( Pacific Rim, Star Trek, Dark Knight Rises ). Believe it or not, this "mini me" sub did generate some "feel"..the walls even flexed some..impressive :). Explosions, roars, foot stomps from giant machines and monsters actually have layers to it's sound now that I never heard with the PB's. Not to say that the PBs were bad sounding, it's just that the SB1000 reveals more of what the bass "actually" or is "suppose" to sound like. Really starting to like this little bugger :).