Another white-van victim

Options
Not me, No affil. I've never seen these. Probably to confuse with Wharfedale (misspelled for white-van ruse) $3,150.00 MSRP on box. Thieves!!! http://omaha.craigslist.org/ele/5137493945.html
4boooytxszlc.jpg
9y64wwom6as6.jpg

Comments

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,727
    Options
    What makes you think he's the victim? Lots of speaker scammers use craigslist to sell.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,110
    Options
    I agree with you, William. I've seen them trying to market them on CL brand new also. A lot of times it's the initial purchaser re-selling them once they found out what they bought trying to recover some of their loss. The next buyer unfortunately, if uniformed, will possible pay too much also. I'm all for a free-market and buyer beware. I just posted it in the clubhouse for entertainment. The vast majority of forum member are well aware of white-van sellers.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,515
    Options
    jeez. yeah, that's what I was thinking, probably a victim who later realized he got scammed and trying to resell. or a white-vanner who's too lazy to go out and sell. I wonder if the white-vanners have to buy the product before selling?

but man, if a victim, what must he have paid to be reselling them for $400?

one of my friends got scammed like this back in the 90's with a pair of SWEET Acoustic Response speakers, obviously a play on the AR name. he's always been able to laugh at himself, thought, and ended up using these speakers for several years. pretty sure just at low volume for background noise though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I bought a Marantz SR8300 a couple months ago at a yard sale to have as a spare @ $45.00. They wanted $200.00 because it had a pair of Denmark speakers that they paid a big dollars for years earlier. Of course these are white van also. I had to haul the speakers off for the $45.00 price. Got them home, dismembered them with a claw hammer and tossed them in the curbie.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky if the speakers even work. My buddy bought speakers filled with phone books :o
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I remember being approached by a guy in a - get this -
    white van to buy speakers back in the seventies.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,884
    Options
    Who puts MSRPs on the box anymore....
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,110
    Options
    The seller lowered the asking price on CL from $1,000.00 to $400.00 overnight.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,097
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    one of my friends got scammed like this back in the 90's with a pair of SWEET Acoustic Response speakers, obviously a play on the AR name. he's always been able to laugh at himself, thought, and ended up using these speakers for several years. pretty sure just at low volume for background noise though.

Are you talking about me? Are we friends from the 90's that I don't recall? Because I too have a SWEET pair of Acoustic Response speakers that are now rocking my garage. I don't remember how much I paid ($200??), but I guess I've gotten my money's worth due to 1) twenty-something years of ownership and 2) lots of laughs for being a sucker.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • msg
    Options
    hahaha, no, man, I was talking about my buddy Jesse (not F1, to clarify, lol, though he's probably proudly rockin' AR's with full MIT cabling, mods, and built crossovers for the previously non-existent ones)

now I have two friends with AR's. maybe I should put an ad on the WTB.

funny side story I was just reminded of - we were playing pool one day after school at this one kid's house. the clumsy guy of our group (think Paul Pfeiffer, Wonder Years) sharply draws back the cue, and proceeds to puncture a hole in the paper subwoofer in the enclosure sitting on the couch that one of our other friends was working on. we were killing ourselves laughing at the expression on the owner's face - a big wtf/disbelief/did-that-really-just-happen. no more Fugazi that day.
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    tip of the cap PSOVLSK for being able to laugh at yourself.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    Most of the white van guys got the shove off in Dallas CL.
    CL members flagged them without mercy. I remember seeing a
    "Polk" speakers advertised that certainly weren't Polk. I flagged them,
    and next day they were up as "Paradigm" . Flagged that one too.
    Still more than a few saps trying to unload them at a big loss, however.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    Options
    like whack-a-mole where you actually whack the mole before it even gets to pop up
    I disabled signatures.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/5137987940.html

Here's a fine example of not only a sap, but a miserable sap.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    Options
    haha, wait, how does he exact the extra $10 from no-shows?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,660
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    haha, wait, how does he exact the extra $10 from no-shows?

Wondered that myself, lol!

• sucks2beme
    Options
    Plainly not the sharpest tack. That would explain the speakers new
    in the box.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    tip of the cap PSOVLSK for being able to laugh at yourself.
    Making it even funnier was that my best friend and I each bought a pair within a week of one another. You should have heard the conversation when we excitedly told one another about our new speaker purchase. We both had such Couple of young knuckleheads :D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Just stay away from those Poke 703's ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Don't know what happened to the end of my previous post. I was going to say that we both had such a failed look on our face as we told the story of getting a "great deal" because these guys were doing an install and had ordered too many speakers. They couldn't take them back to the warehouse because the boss would kill them. Haha. As I said, couple of young knuckleheads.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    It appears the seller of those Kirsch Towers took the picture in a rental storage place, bet he's got some of those Wahldorfs, and some of those Acoustic Response, a whole rental place with a bunch of irresistible deals to funny.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    Options
    hehe, for giggles I was gonna see if he would be open to trades, and try to offer him a pair of Wahldorfs or Acoustic Response, and cite the whole schtick. whichever side he's on, it would be funny. to me at least. I know, a d-move.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,298
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »

Hey, would you do me a favor and see if he has a pair of Kirsch Hairesy speakers available. ? Thanks !

Sal Palooza
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    This ones have been for some time in the Bay Area. Funny.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/5110775969.html

HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I had a great experience with some white van scammers a few years ago. I pull up to a gas station at night and start getting out of my truck when a minivan (white btw) comes screeching up and stops behind my truck blocking me in. There's two men inside and the driver points at me and literally says "get him!" and points at me. The passenger flings open the door and starts walking up to me as fast as he can, until he gets around by the door and sees a .357 in my hand. He then tells me to calm down he's just excited to tell me about a great deal they have on speakers in his van and I should come look. After messing with them I tell them I'm going to go get $1,000 or however much they wanted but it'd take a little bit, and they very gladly said they'd sit there and wait. I really hope they sat there a while before they figured it out.

Ps sorry to derail