Turntable purchase

Options

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    chefkungfu wrote: »
    I can honestly say that I'm overwhelmed with the different options of TT's!

Turntable design and construction, tone arms and cartridges combine to give you different sound qualities. You can have smooth, relaxed and warm while others are very lively, transparent and accurate. I grew into the latter after 45 years of vinyl experience. I've never been without a turntable in that time.

A brief history. Before LP's came on the scene you had incredibly high stylus pressures that required high torque motors and 78 speed (Garrard, Lenco's etc). Those tables were sold without plinths (you supplied one) or sold in light hollow boxes that did not sufficiently damp the motor vibes. When LP's arrived, belt drives became popular cause they were quieter. Then someone built a heavy plinth idler drive and realized that the high torque would plow through any groove without slowing and the heavy plinth damped the motor vibes. Then some idlers were driven out of $$$ reach for most folks.

Accurate speed provides best playback IMO. Quartz locked direct drives do that. Belt drives can cog due to high torque motors causing stretching of the belt but have no electronics under plinth to add noise. (Technics solved that with their SP-10 with external power supply). All you have to do is measure TT speed with a needle in the groove to see what happens with any table. Some folks don't care about speed and that's fine, but hi fidelity has standards. ;)

Sometimes the speed with uncontrolled belt drive motors is beyond +- RIAA limits. Sometimes manufacturers wanted that. TT makers offered speed controllers of mixed quality. Now you can get a nice modern DDS design tachometer speed control from Phoenix Engineering for belt drives with power supplies that can handle up to 25 watt motors. Simply apply magnet to platter, fix the pickup and connect to the power supply and you get ±0.005 RPM accuracy. I use one on my idler drive Lenco, even though the table had good speed control.

So enjoy your vinyl journey. Get your ears on as much different gear you can to find the sound quality you prefer.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    your doing good Chef!

Take your time look over all your options before you dive in as there are some many ways to go.

just remember all the accessories needed like phono amps, record cleaning, anti-static brush etc.. but have fun with it, as that is the key.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    here you go, so easy to get something nice

http://store.uturnaudio.com/cart

Orbit Builder
    Orbit Builder - Black Plinth, Acrylic Platter, Grado Blue1 Cartridge with Cue Lever $ 399.00 Remove
    Audioquest Evergreen RCA Cables
    Audioquest Evergreen RCA Cables - 1m (3.3ft) $ 35.00 Remove
    Audioquest Anti-static Record Brush
    Audioquest Anti-static Record Brush $ 20.00 Remove
    7516 Cork Mat
    7516 Cork Mat $ 20.00 Remove
    Pluto Phono Preamp (black)
    Pluto Phono Preamp (black) $ 89.00 Remove
    $ 563.00

PolkieMan wrote: »

I'm starting to get overwhelmed! The choices.... which one???

POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • voltz
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like the acrylic platter, as my metal one (pro-ject carbon) rang like a dinner bell

I normally have no problem with the evergreen cable except on a TT ..the cable between the TT and phono amp need to be a low capacitance * shielded cable...not sure the AQ evergreen is a good cable for that.

I see it comes with Shielded cables when you buy the TT so that should be covered.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• PolkieMan
    Options
    Those young guys seem to have a real interest in doing things affordable and at the same time doing it right, this started as a kick starter program, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try. Which cable do you prefer?

voltz wrote: »
    I like the acrylic platter, as my metal one (pro-ject carbon) rang like a dinner bell

I normally have no problem with the evergreen cable except on a TT ..the cable between the TT and phono amp need to be a low capacitance * shielded cable...not sure the AQ evergreen is a good cable for that.

I see it comes with Shielded cables when you buy the TT so that should be covered.

• PolkieMan
    Options
    Yea that's what I was thinking about
    nbrowser wrote: »

A bit of Dynamat to the underside of my Carbon's platter made it relatively non doorbell-y...just something stupid I tried :)

• voltz
    Options
    When I used regular analog cables for my TT to Phono amp (tonearm cable) I got a bad hum even without anything playing...but when I used the cable supplied by Pro-Ject with my TT it was really quiet.

I am now using a "Dynamique Audio's Horizon 2 Phono" in RCA to RCA and it was like $130 and everything else I look at was way up there..Rich can help you with a better one probably.

• chefkungfu
    chefkungfu Posts: 638
    Options
    here you go, so easy to get something nice

http://store.uturnaudio.com/cart

Orbit Builder
    Orbit Builder - Black Plinth, Acrylic Platter, Grado Blue1 Cartridge with Cue Lever $ 399.00 Remove
    Audioquest Evergreen RCA Cables
    Audioquest Evergreen RCA Cables - 1m (3.3ft) $ 35.00 Remove
    Audioquest Anti-static Record Brush
    Audioquest Anti-static Record Brush $ 20.00 Remove
    7516 Cork Mat
    7516 Cork Mat $ 20.00 Remove
    Pluto Phono Preamp (black)
    Pluto Phono Preamp (black) $ 89.00 Remove
    $ 563.00

Oh, wow PolkieMan! That is priced just right! I have to decide sooner or later!
    I'm going to be busy at work the next few days, after that.... I'm TT hunting!
    Thank you for the link!
    Frank

I'm starting to get overwhelmed! The choices.... which one???

SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I used regular analog cables for my TT to Phono amp (tonearm cable) I got a bad hum even without anything playing...but when I used the cable supplied by Pro-Ject with my TT it was really quiet.

I am now using a "Dynamique Audio's Horizon 2 Phono" in RCA to RCA and it was like $130 and everything else I look at was way up there..Rich can help you with a better one probably.

votlz, I'm afraid of that dreaded hum. I thought it was because of a bad ground. I had that experience way back in the early 80's when I had a Pioneer TT. It was just a basic entry TT that came with the other components. It also caused the woofers to move in and out without any sound going to the speakers! I didn't like that, I'm just worried I'll go through that again.
    Thanks again voltz! I'm going to take it slow with this TT purchase! I want a pretty good one that's going to last and that's solid.
    Frank
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    Again, I can't thank you guys enough with all the input that's been posted on here!! Wow!
    It's a lot of knowledge in a short time! This has helped me beyond anything I would've come up with!
    Thank you to my fellow CP members!!
    Frank
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Yeah, GREAT thread. Thanks from me as well. Much to learn and try.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • PolkieMan
    Options
    Your welcome, shop around too, look for closeouts
    Again, I can't thank you guys enough with all the input that's been posted on here!! Wow!
    It's a lot of knowledge in a short time! This has helped me beyond anything I would've come up with!
    Thank you to my fellow CP members!!
    Frank

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Love my SL-1210-M5G, but the price of the Technics 12xx have gotten ridiculous since they went out of production. If you're patient, you may find a used one for a bargain that's in good shape.

This new offering by Audio Technica looks really good. Haven't test driven this particular model, but have heard very good reports on them. Just another option to consider.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP1240-USB-Direct-Turntable/dp/B007R9B0UQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgCJM3bCoJg

Slap a Herbie's Way Excellent TT Mat on it, a HOMC like a Denon DL110 & a record clamp and you're still within your budget with a formidable rig for not a lot of coin.

I used to have an AT-PL120 that was fairly decent, but utilizes cheap, hardwired ICs. What I like most about this newer table is that it allows you to use whatever flavor of ICs you like.

I have the older, non DJ version of this.
    I like it a lot. I think it's a great entry-mid level unit that can sound great with the right cartridge on It.
    http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/1dd57155b119cdad/
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    bbmzefov62lj.png

This is the one I'm lusting over right now consider this way over your budget it's basically a Clearaudio with a Marantz Badge. The new Pioneer direct drive resembles the 1200 Technics and gets pretty good reviews.

That Marantz is really nice!
    I have a bead on one of these for less than 400 bucks..
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a bead on one of these for less than 400 bucks..

Do you really think it will be better than your linear Yamaha? I'd guess no but if you get it be sure to post what you think between the two. At the least you can flip it for profit, assuming you can find a buyer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Even though I'm not a big vinyl guy I'm enjoying this thread, I love the old school stuff, Technics and Pioneers, etc. That new Pio looks sexy, powerful and, most of all, durable. My first table here was a Technics P-mount Quartz Lock Direct Drive with a fairly new Ortofon cart. Easy and idiot proof. Got it cheap from a Polkie. Decent entry level and indestructible. Still in office use.

Lots of nice pieces above. Happy hunting!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • PolkieMan
    Options
    Yea they are hard to kill cnh. My PL510-A sat in the closet during the dark years of vinyl from 2000 -2010 pulled it back out and started enjoying it again. Up to 2 years ago you could find some nice LP's for almost nothing.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Was spinning some vinyl last night - some Rick Derringer-Sweet Evil, and Deep Purple - Stormbringer. LPs I bought in the 70's. Being meticulous as a teenager paid off well, cuz these sounded so good I was on the verge of tears at the sonic goodness! :)

With the right set up and care, you can get some very satisfying results.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • chefkungfu
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hey guys, once again I'd like to say a huge thank you for all the input that was offered on the thread, to all the great members on CP!! It was a wealth of knowledge and expertise!!
    With the input that was collaborated, I was able to narrow down my choice of the purchase of my first "real" turntable. I went with the Pioneer PLX-1000.
    I just felt that it was simple and robust... and I matches the rest of my gear.
    I'll add some pics over the weekend!
    Thanks again CP!!
    Frank.

Sorry for any typos, it's late and it was a long day at work.
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    That's great news who did you buy it through, and what cartridge did you go, with as they don't come with a cartridge. Congratulations I'm happy for you post your thoughts, abd some pictures.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    Hello gudnoyez,
    I picked it up off the bay... brand new in the box and it came with a Shure M44-7 cartridge. Thank you, I felt that the $599 price tag was fair for a BIN new deck & cartridge.
    I hope that was a fair price, otherwise I'd feel really bad! Everything was sealed and new! That's why I pulled the trigger on it!
    Frank.
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    tgkby1xjv8lf.jpg
    rmkmq09nbo83.jpg
    m4uikuwg1fcw.jpg
    j2q8v3041um4.jpg
    vustbyckvt0c.jpg
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Was the cartridge included in the deal if so good for you that shure is a decent cartridge. I cant find any with a cartridge was this new? A rugged looking Direct Drive table enjoy it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    Yes sir, the cartridge was included with the TT! It came in a clear plastic tube container. I'll post a picture of it!
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    m2r5uxiww1jd.jpg
    tuh83gf66c2z.jpg
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • chefkungfu
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Was the cartridge included in the deal if so good for you that shure is a decent cartridge. I cant find any with a cartridge was this new? A rugged looking Direct Drive table enjoy it.

Thank you sir! I'm enjoying it!!
    Also, thank you to every CP member who had their input and influence on my purchase!

Frank.
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • PolkieMan
    Options
    A killa deal enjoy!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Those new Pioneers are sexy! Congrats!

And, though, I am NOT a big TT guy, I have a preference toward good budget Shure carts. Especially those that are basically new versions of the old classic standards. They track well, they sound good, they're NOT too detailed so that you have to worry about PRISTINE vinyl surfaces-smooth without all the FUSS of the High End carts! Leave that to the VPI record cleaning OCD boys and girls, with the marble plinths and the 50+ pound tables! I just spin old discs for nostalgic purposes. Back in the '60s and '70s, NONE of us EVER heard any record on anything more than a mid-level table with a 30-50 dollar cart-(in most cases a Shure or an AT). That's the way we remember vinyl. And it is, don't get me wrong, an experience of nostalgia, first and foremost! We're NOT going to start chasing multi thousand dollar vinyl carrots in the 21st century! But we're also not going to stop those with infinite resources and time from doing so, either. It's about the music and "you" when all is said and done.

Enjoy!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • voltz
    Options
    WTG Chef!! let us know how you like it after you spend some time with it!

• chefkungfu
    Options
    A killa deal enjoy!

Thank you!! I took my time on this one, and I came across a good one!
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89