Hello-newbie here. Can you tell me exactly what I have?

Options
New here, but Polk owner for almost 38 years. Found this site through a Google search. I have done some searching & reading so far, but it would be helpful to know exactly what I have.....

Which is: a pair of (some model) of Polk 10s. I purchased them new in 10-1977. The serial number & model # were on a paper tag stapled to the back of the speakers. One tag is gone, and the other is too faded to read. There are no serial numbers on the boxes they came in, and the serial #s did not get recorded on the sales receipt. So I'm SOL on serial #s.

This is what I can tell you: The boxes say just Polk Model 10 Studio Monitors.
They have the black silk dome tweeters with the little hole in the center. The mid/low range drivers and the PR have the thick grayish paper gaskets on the front. They have 2 fuses on the back of each speaker. The numbers on the back of the remaining 3 original mid/low range drivers are: 6KU132 (all 3) plus 2 of them have 557738 and one of them has 557748.
The one replaced driver, which is dead again, reads just 106800KM.

None of those numbers look like anything I've seen on here so far. I've read there are different models of 10s, like Model 10 monitors, Model 10A, 10B, 10C, etc.

So, what exact model do I have? what are the differences? what replacement driver do I need? Polk CS says I need a MW6502, is that the best one?

Also, anything else you can tell me, like any upgrades I should do? How are these speakers regarded now days? They were fairly awesome back in the day. What can I use to replace the grill cloth? Are there any grill cloth frames available, one of mine is cracked & warped. The little Polk Audio emblems are gone, are they obtainable?
I haven't used these much at all in the past 10 years, but I'm getting back into listening to music more lately and want to fix them up.
Sorry for so many questions, and Thanks!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I believe you have the original Monitor 10 speakers with a Peerless made tweeter. The 6.5" drivers are the MW6500 which are sometimes found on eBay. It is recommended that the seller carefully pack the driver and double box if possible.
    I don't believe grille frames or Polk logos are to be found, except possibly eBay. Crossover modifications usually include upgrading capacitors, resistors and coils. There are CP members who do highly regarded work on crossovers.
    Regards, Ken