Taming vibration and audiophile products

After doing a little poking around on the internet regarding vibration isolation products I came across these pads:http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

I had read somewhere(maybe another forum...I don't really recall) that people had used these in their audio system and thought they were just as good as the much more expensive products sold by the usual audio dealers. So I decided to order some and after painting the sides black to eliminate the blue band I placed them under my cd player, preamp and turntable. I'm not sure that I hear any difference but this may be due to my less than golden ears and also knowing that I don't have the most revealing system. Has anybody tried these and compared them to the big name products? It would be interesting to have some folk try these out that currently use the "audiophile" products and give an opinion. So, if you feel your rig has benefited from isolation products and would like to give these a test drive I have 8 unpainted 2X2 pads I'm willing to send you for your opinion. Keep them for a few weeks if need be and then pass them on to the next person expressing interest(if indeed there is any!). If anybody finds they are worthwhile and does order some I could use these back. The same would apply if you find these useless...I'll reimburse you for the postage.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    That is a great gesture man. Good for you for the offer. But I have to ask. Would other opinions change your own experiences? Or validations?

Have fun!

Halen
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Good question. I have not really had much time to evaluate these and at this point not sure if they have helped or not. What I would really like to determine is if they are just a good as the audiophile products out there, but then again maybe somebody who has spent $$$ on said products don't want to know?

My current investment is small at this point, if somebody tries these out and says they make no difference but XYZ product that they have has made a considerable difference, then I guess I'll be looking at replacing them.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    I personally have not tried any isolation products. Cables, CD, TT, etc. so I could not comment. What I do know is people don't understand how noisy the sound is until it is reduced or no longer there.

Audiophile? I have never subscribed to that. We have to take cost of production into account. All because something was sold for let's say 10 g's here doesn't mean the same quality could not be had for $400 in other countries. That is a fact.

So I ask, what is audiophile?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I put Mapleshade Micropoints under all my electronics, except for the too heavy amps. They remove a haze, or muddiness, from the music, and the price is 'relatively' inexpensive.

MPHFset-IM.jpg

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Micropoint-Heavyfoot-set-of-three/productinfo/MPHFSET/

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2015
    I highly recommend these:

http://marigoaudio.com/isolation-feet/mystery-feet/

They are expensive (I bought mine used for cheaper), but they work much better than any other product I have used. I have used Vibrapods/cones, Black Diamond cones, and Herbie's Audio Labs "Tenderfeet". None can compete with the Marigo Audio Labs feet, IMO.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    @headrott Have you tried any sorbothane
    products under equipment?
  • headrott
    @ptrooper, I haven't tried any sorbothane products yet.

I have considered trying the Pangea Audio sorbothane isolation feet, but have yet to put out the money to purchase them. When I have nothing else to spend money on, I will do it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    headrott wrote: »

I have considered trying the Pangea Audio sorbothane isolation feet, but have yet to put out the money to purchase them. When I have nothing else to spend money on, I will do it.
    I was checking those out. I wonder how they are?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGPICO

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGMEGA
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • headrott
    @Nightfall, that's a good question. I have read reviews where some say they make a large difference (in detail, clarity, imaging) and some where the listener states they make little to no difference. The reviews I read didn't state what other isolation devices (except one that stated they used vibrapads and cones) were used previously to compare them to.

If someone buys these, I would beinterested in the results. Meanwhile, I am more than satisfied with the Marigo feet under all of my equipment (with the exception of my DAC where I am using some Herbie's Tenderfeet combined with some Vibrapods/cones. I will eventually replace these with some more Marigo Audio feet.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    h4kchugrzd7p.jpg
    i910jbp9kp6b.jpg

I found these (square) blocks on same source have been using them foe years they do the job. Also use a mat made from commercial floring for labs, shops restraunts, ect.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I highly recommend these:

http://marigoaudio.com/isolation-feet/mystery-feet/

They are expensive (I bought mine used for cheaper), but they work much better than any other product I have used. I have used Vibrapods/cones, Black Diamond cones, and Herbie's Audio Labs "Tenderfeet". None can compete with the Marigo Audio Labs feet, IMO.
    Nightfall wrote: »

I was checking those out. I wonder how they are?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGPICO

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGMEGA

give the audioquest or Pangea sorbothane a shot I have used both and they are remarkable products to say the least. I could body slam someone right next to the CD player and never make it skip. I for one will not use anything else as I'm sold on these.
    I use them under amps.pre-amps and DVD and CD players.

• Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    Sorbothane mostly absorbs or dampens vibrations. I use Sorbothane hemispheres under all components that have hard-drives, CD-DVD players or noisy fans.

Sorbothane hemispheres at about $5 each.
    http://www.edmundoptics.com/optomechanics/optical-breadboard-components-laboratory-tables/laboratory-tables-breadboards/sorbothane-mounts/1618

Not so sure about using them under turntables.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Same.I have sorbothane domes under everything now...lovem
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I would take a stab and say I wish I had them when I had my turntable. They would work great.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    I bet those lil cheapy pads work just as good as anything 10 times the price. I use the maple shade under and above my dacs and preamps along with ps audio powerbases without really hearing a bigdiff at all.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I would like to try them and isolate my bouncy floor especially under the shelf that holds my TT but they say 50psi and there may be more than that per leg, I would have to figure it out.
  • afterburnt
    I ordered a bunch will let you know how they work.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2015
    The absolute best vibraton control I've used under turntables on supended floors at my house is the Gingko Cloud. And I've tried just about everything. Sandbox, innertube between boards, pads, etc. Walk, jump, women dancing, thump the rack and it won't skip. Basically it's a base with divots that holds handballs with a platform on top of it. Number of handballs used depends upon weight. I bought mine used as they are pricey new. A fellow with some DIY skills could make one. Following their design means the top platform won't roll off.... One could use wood instead of acrylic.

http://www.gingkoaudio.com/cloud11.html

cloud11.gif

cloud11s.gif
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    The absolute best vibraton control I've used under turntables on supended floors at my house is the Gingko Cloud. And I've tried just about everything. Sandbox, innertube between boards, pads, etc. Walk, jump, women dancing, thump the rack and it won't skip. Basically it's a base with divots that holds handballs with a platform on top of it. Number of handballs used depends upon weight. I bought mine used as they are pricey new. A fellow with some DIY skills could make one. Following their design means the top platform won't roll off.... One could use wood instead of acrylic.

http://www.gingkoaudio.com/cloud11.html

cloud11.gif

cloud11s.gif

Dig it . .Thanks for the tip
    Those are pricey, I'll try searching for "gently used"
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2015
    GlennDog wrote: »

Dig it . .Thanks for the tip
    Those are pricey, I'll try searching for "gently used"

You don't see them too often..I got lucky at Audiogon one day.

My Cloud 11 also has the ClaraVu™ cover. It has a 45 degree bevel that sits on the beveled top platform. Watch cat has never knocked it off when guarding the TT. I had to add extra balls for the heavier Lenco plinth (Nottingham Space 294 before). Fortunately extras were included with the base. I think they get $10 a ball with Gingko logo.

Doug (dkg999) got a Cloud for his TT and says it cured his skipping issues too.

jasper_audio.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • afterburnt
    good use for a cat lol
  • soundfreak1
    Boy you must love that cat. I'd have a cat skin cap if i came home and saw that on my TT. LOL
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, we're tight. I'm his play action buddy. He is one of the neatest cats I've ever known. He is a hybrid so that has a lot to do with it. He will sit and listen to music with me and the guys when they are over. Jasper has never scratched that cover. He doesn't like it when I leave for work, complains to the wife, goes by my stuff. Keeps me from using keyboards sometimes too.....

putiecat.jpg

Helps me with running air lines for air bearing arms through walls and wiring.

help.jpg

Helps me pick albums to play...

jaspysma.jpg

Likes Harley's...lol

jasper_09232009_2.jpg

Let's his opinions be known...

mouth.jpg

A friend photo-chopped this for me...

jasperroar.jpg
  • soundfreak1
    I understand. This one just puts up with mekwn8j3ahu1tk.jpg
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Cool cats. I used to have one that liked to drink Crown Royal :o

Pour a little in a bowl and he would drink up then crash out on my lap.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • soundfreak1
    Same thing happens to me when i drink crown.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • vmaxer
    Same thing happens to me when i drink crown.

Not on my lap though.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • soundfreak1
    Your safe, dont drink crown any more. "Tired of waking up on the floor".
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • vmaxer
    Your safe, dont drink crown any more. "Tired of waking up on the floor".

I've woke up in far worse places years ago.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus