record clamps and the Yamaha PX3...

I have begun looking at record clamps so that I can do a better job of coupling the record to the platter and perhaps mitigate some minor warpage on some of my vinyl. I know nothing about them at this point, and what has held me back more than a bit is the fact that the PX3 from Yamaha has a pretty cool looking but rather funky dust cover that would require me to leave it open during use if I had a clamp in place.

I guess my questions are whether or not I can expect audible improvement, like upgrading my cabling provided, and whether anyone knows if they should or should not be used with the PX3...
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Trade TT's with me, then you can use both a dust cover AND a clamp. I'll even pay for shipping on both ends. :p
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited July 2015
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Trade TT's with me, then you can use both a dust cover AND a clamp. I'll even pay for shipping on both ends. :p
    Fat chance, but I will trade my Carver amps and my Pass Labs pre and phono pre for a Crown XLS1000 DriveCore and an Emo preamp. >:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Keiko wrote: »
    Won't the clear audio twister work on your table, John? I scored Joe's last clamp, but he recommended these as an alternative.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Twister
    Check out the dust cover on his TT

yamahapx32.jpg

• Nightfall
    I'm aware of the design.

Would it matter if the dust cover was resting on the edge of the clamp instead of being fully seated closed?

I was under the impression that listening with the dust cover on was ill advised.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Yes. The platter rotation would not like rubbing on the cover

• Nightfall
    Yes. The platter rotation would not like rubbing on the cover

I don't know why I was thinking the clamp would stay stationary during platter rotation.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Won't the clear audio twister work on your table, John? I scored Joe's last clamp, but he recommended these as an alternative.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Twister

I have heard that it's better to leave the cover up while playing a record. Like having your head inside a bell with the cover down when spinning. Not sure if this is true, but I leave mine off while playing.

I also have "the clamp". Love it.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited July 2015
    SCompRacer had one for his former Nottingham deck. He could tell you about the relative level of additional care needed to use it, but I don't recall any major difficulties with installing the record/ring assembly or dropping the needle. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/1476533#Comment_1476533

That vinyl rig sounded great, but Rich would have to let you what overall effect was due to the ring. TTWeights does have some 'blemish' rings on sale right now--still not a small investment. The website does give some insight to fitment parameters; there's a maximum platter diameter and some spacing needs from the pivot, IIRC.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2015
    Joe's clamp had three different thickness shims to place on the spindle, under the record. It would flatten some badly warped records.

The TT Weights Periphery rings are easy to install with his centering disc. It was difficult with the Nottingham Space 294 as it had a 14" platter.

ringspin.jpg

The 14" platter did require more care to get the periphery ring on. His heavy periphery rings, or the ones with bullet weights wouldn't have worked on that 14" platter. Dropping the needle was no worse than making sure you weren't off the edge of the record. Like anything else, experience matters. ;)

I can't use the ring weight with my Lenco (with standard size platter) as the linear arm base is too close to the platter.

I did learn my linear air bearing arm will track some warped records. I'm sure it has a limitation as to extent of warpage....but I don't have anything warped worse than this 12" single. Hopefully...lol

https://youtu.be/YYD9CIWJELc

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • bigalt
    bigalt Posts: 1
    There are 2 record weights that will fit the Yamaha PX-3 with the dust cover closed. The Yamamoto Sound Craft RS-1 and the Clearaudio Quadro Clamp ( either the tall or flat version ). Both weight around 370 to 380 grams.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    woh, cool!
    man, I swear, every once in a while I come across a thread like this and you guys get me all enamoured with vinyl all over again. vinyl and all the cool gadgets to make it work right/best. intriguing and very cool. I'd love to hear a setup like this and some befores and afters with these types of refinements. maybe when I'm older and richer. for now, I'll just pick up the odd album here and there, and watch you guys with your cool toys.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOwvm_cuytc

Doesn't look too bad to install, but not sure if this would be workable for my Technics 1210 or John's, Yamaha. Clearance might be an issue on some tables. And yeah, they are pricey.

I disabled signatures.