RESULTS - Integrated Shootout with LSiM703

2»

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,745
    I love tubes, straight up. There is a certain sound that tubes have, and I'm not talking about rolled off highs or sloppy lows. It's about the presentation. The Dayens had that presentation almost down pat. I was shocked at first sound and it only got better. I'm honestly not really sure how they've skirted under the radar the last 4-5 years.

As far as the iFi hanging, yes, I do believe it would hang much better with upgraded tubes, as would any tube piece. I chose not to roll any in so I can properly represent the product.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: P3ESR, 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,800
    So we just need to put the Dayen inside the ifi chassis lol.

After the shootout and zero's video I did more research on it. I am anxious to get my ears on one.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

• Erik TracyErik Tracy Posts: 4,691
    Zero wrote: »
    I think it's important to note that each of the components under review were designed to fulfill different needs.

Take the Parasound integrated for example: it was made for the person who looking to step into a powerful, full-featured integrated amp from an establish manufacturer. It's an easy solution for the listener who doesn't want to deal with a whole bunch of clutter.

The iFi Retro 50 was designed to be paired with it's own speakers as part of an all-in-one solution. It's a great option for the person who wants a highly flexible, excellent sounding system that'll take up very little real-estate.

The Dayens gear are purist audiophile components. They were built for the person who cares more about getting the best sound for the buck than getting a whole a bunch of features.

And the Plinius? It's a vintage piece. Plinius gear of that era has, in my experience at least, a very distinct aural signature. When it bodes well with a system, the sound can be incredibly satisfying. But when it doesn't, and there's a good chance that it won't, the performance will be pretty average for the cashola.

So bearing all of that in mind, the results of this shootout are in no way surprising. Still, it made for a fun read just the same. :D

I would agree with most of what you say except for the Halo. Coming from Parasound and with the Halo designation it must deliver as an 'audiophile' level component - otherwise just get an avr if you want features and simplicity.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,028
    Nothing really surprising for me in the reviews except for that classic 50. Thought it had a lot going for it and expected the sound to be better than described. Just goes to show that everything more pricey isn't a winner.
    ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's
    Because of the reviews on the Dayens, it makes me want to hear more of their line. They have a preamp, a few different powerful amplifiers as well as a more powerful intigrated.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200

tonyb wrote: »
    Nothing really surprising for me in the reviews except for that classic 50. Thought it had a lot going for it and expected the sound to be better than described. Just goes to show that everything more pricey isn't a winner.

It was on par with everything except the Menuetto. As Paul said in his review, there was a clear cut synergy winner, then there was everyone else. The stereo 50 is the best match with the mini x, just not the 703. IT was so bad the first hookup, but I knew it from the get go that something wasn't right. That's why I took it out and simplified the chain the second round, and the results were, dare I say, night and day?
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: P3ESR, 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,051
    Fantastic. I'm looking at 703s at next FF
    erniejade wrote: »
    Because of the reviews on the Dayens, it makes me want to hear more of their line. They have a preamp, a few different powerful amplifiers as well as a more powerful intigrated.

Just to be clear for all reading, I sell all of these except the plinius. If you're interested in a piece, let me know.

Depending on your setup and needs, each one has a role and one isn't superior to another. I decided to do this with the 703's since many of our members have bought into the LSiM series and this would give the best fit for those speakers. If you need an all in one solution? Parasound or iFi is up your alley. Love the tube sound? iFi all the way. Want simplicity in a cheap package that sounds great? Dayens is your answer.

The point is, each one brings something different to the table and every one sounded great with the 703's. I've turned down opportunities to sell a handful of components because I didn't think they were up to snuff. I don't feel that way with these, nor any of my products. I want integrity in my business. If you are looking for a certain sound with a certain speaker, I want to be able to suggest the PERFECT piece for your objectives. Just like everything though, it all boils down to synergy between the pieces. What I'd suggest for the 703 will be completely different than what I'd suggest for the Mini X.
    audiothesis.com/

edited June 2015
    As well it should be Skip. Glad to see your getting the exposure to some different brands and sound signatures. Audio is effin' awesome eh ?

Loolking to hear your impressions on those Italian speaks, but have to say....the white is a big turn off for me.
    ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's
    Loolking to hear your impressions on those Italian speaks, but have to say....the white is a big turn off for me.

It fits much better with my decor downstairs. Besides, its hard to appreciate anything but a black finish unless you see it in person. We all know what a black speaker looks like, don't we? ;)
    audiothesis.com/

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,558
    I know the conversation has changed a bit, but I want to clarify that my "bang for the buck" ranking took into consideration two things: price and performance. I didn't consider that the Parasound has everything you'd ever need or that the Ampino only has two inputs. I factored in the sound I heard to the price tag I saw, that's it. Obviously if someone is looking to buy, they'd consider much more than price/performance, but those other considerations will be dependent upon the individual.

I also want to reiterate what Skip said about the rankings and what I said in my initial review: None of the pieces are bad. If you prefer a more forward sound, your rankings might flip from what I had as I prefer a more laid back sound. In many cases it boils down to what you need in an integrated. For example, as much as I loved the Ampino, I could never own one because it simply doesn't have enough inputs for my system. If my system ever changes and I can get away with having only two inputs I can't imagine that it wouldn't find a spot in my rack.

I still don't know what was up with the Plinius. Maybe a bad mating with the DAC or something because I've never heard it sound so bright and I swear it doesn't sound as bright as I listen to it now. In case you didn't read the previous paragraph, the Plinius wasn't bad, just not as good as I think I've heard it.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
    I don't think you guys need to explain your thoughts....or justify them. I think anyone who's been around the block in audio knows the variables in reviews. Different strokes for different folks and all that too.
    ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's
  • mantismantis Posts: 14,665
    Very cool fun time it looks like you guys had. Love the review and the style you put it in.
    The results are about what I expected.

Great job guys.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
    I don't think you guys need to explain your thoughts....or justify them. I think anyone who's been around the block in audio knows the variables in reviews. Different strokes for different folks and all that too.

+1

• doctor rdoctor r Posts: 778
    Great review and comparisons. When I first heard the 703s their first year at Polkfest at Disney Joe's in Orlando we noticed they enjoyed having a "few" extra watts pushing them. My 100 watt KT88 based amp made them sing. Looking at the afternoon's lineup the Plinius and the Parasound certainly ruled the watts which gives even more weight to the top performance heard from the Menuetto (70 watts @ 4ohms). The ifi and Ampino, while very nice, at 25 tube watts and 40 watts might just not have what the 703 really seemed to need to shine. Great job!
    VAC Renaissance MKIII with phono
    Ayre VX-5 Twenty
    Origin Live Resolution Mk3-1
    Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Logitech Touch w/Welbourne PS
    Ayre Codex
    Thiel CS2.4
    Audience AU24 SX and SE cables
    Audience aR6-TSSD
    edited June 2015
    I've heard the 703's on several different setups, and my experiences suggest they don't need a lot of watts. In fact, before the Plinius, the best I had heard them was on a little 12 watt el34 amp, the Unison Research Simply Italy.

I think in this case, it was just a voicing difference. The Menuetto also sounded great at Luther's house on Saturday, though the iFi stole the show there. We didn't get a chance to play around with the Ampino much, and honestly, the Parasound never made it out of the box.
    audiothesis.com/

• Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,879
    I liked my 703's best with my mc100b in triode mode ...so watts is not the deciding factor. I never tried them with the P5/A21 combo but I have my 705's with with the A21 now and the accuracy of the bass coming out of them is extraordinary.
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|KEF T100 Surrounds | SVS SB2000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Bluesound Node 2 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Samsung 50" SUHD TV

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node | Audioengine P4 | Peachtree Nova 125SE |

Closet | SDA SRS 2.3's | Monitor 5B's Yamaha M80 | Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2385
  • doctor rdoctor r Posts: 778
    I guess I did not word my statement as well as I should have. I was using the watts example to infer there was a lot more there in the the design and execution of the Menuetto that allowed it to shine above more "watts". The pair we had at Polkfest were fresh out of the box and not fully broken in so any observations were most likely not completely accurate.
    VAC Renaissance MKIII with phono
    Ayre VX-5 Twenty
    Origin Live Resolution Mk3-1
    Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Logitech Touch w/Welbourne PS
    Ayre Codex
    Thiel CS2.4
    Audience AU24 SX and SE cables
    Audience aR6-TSSD
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,702
    I got to hear some 703's with my MC100b & my Vincent setup (preamp & Amp) and I preferred the Ultra mode for the Mc100b, but once we hooked up my Vincent setup to the 703's the Hybrid/SS bass slam from the Vincent 150 WPC amplifier stole the show B)

but my Vincent setup cost a lot more $$$ too.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
2»