Question

Options
tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,906
For you digital guru's. Whats the difference between a 75 ohm digital cable and 110 ohm ? I mean, I know the obvious difference, with 110 being used mostly in a balanced configuration, but is there any down side to using a 110 ohm cable as a coax digital where a 75 ohm cable should be optimal ?

I'm thinking maybe a bit more of that ringing in the upper registers using a 110 ohm ? Maybe lose some of the volume dial ? If 110 ohm is used mostly in a balanced system, why do they make them with rca plugs ?

To be more specific, I'm looking at a Acoustic zen absolute digital cable, which is 75 ohm, or their MC2 digital cable which is 110 ohm. Reviews of either are very good but the 110 ohm some are using in a coax digital in/output like you would a 75 ohm cable. Wouldn't there be some bad artifacts in the signal using a 110 ohm that way ?
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Tony - In theory using the 110 ohm cable for and s/pdif connections is a no no. It may cause jitter and even bit errors over a longer run. Would it sound different/better/worse in normal use? Dunno, never tried it. However, back in the days of steam driven digital, there were a good number of cable manufacturers selling UTP cable for digital, which is completely out of spec as it's not even shielded. I tried some of this (memory fails me on brand - wanna say Tara Labs) and it sounded very detailed, and certainly not horrible, but it was a bit thin and weedy for my tastes.
  • tonyb
    Options
    "Weedy"....now there's a new descriptive term. lol Thanks for your input pal, Kinda figured...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Be nice Mikey.....sometimes we need to play nice in the sandbox, sometimes not. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I thought the higher the number the better. Like it's better to have 110 dollars than 75? 220v gear sounds better than 120v gear? ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cable topology and connection method (therefore interface) decide the impedance. The wire itself is, well, wire. As long as the wire is capable of the transmission you're after, it'll work; though you still have to abide by topology "standards" such as shielding on coax.

Having said that, most analog IC's may or may not work well as a coax. I realize you're talking AES/EBU on XLR. I once tried a Kimber Hero as a digital coax---whew weee talk about tubby bass and loss of focus.

Tony---I'm telling you, try the $22 el cheapo Belden 1694A coax from Blue Jeans--I think you'll be shocked.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • OleBoot
    Options
    As soon as I change the plug, I'm going to plug my amp into the washer outlet.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »

What are the cable topolgy standards for an amp's AC power connection?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Tony---I'm telling you, try the $22 el cheapo Belden 1694A coax from Blue Jeans--I think you'll be shocked.

That's one of my favorites, especially at the price.

• tonyb
    Options
    I dunno Steve, I've had my fill of cheap cables already. Digital and analog. One thing I've found is when it comes to cables, there are certainly cheap cables that punch well above what their price point should dictate, but they still fall short to the better brands.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Trust me on this one hoss. And yes, you can cut off those cheesey colored collars BJ puts on their cables.
  • OleBoot
    Options

You have an off the wall sense of humor my man.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options

Nahhh...just need an adapter!

I've always said if an adapter was available, some would plug headphones into an AC outlet!

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • CoolJazz
    Options
    Tony - In theory using the 110 ohm cable for and s/pdif connections is a no no. It may cause jitter and even bit errors over a longer run. Would it sound different/better/worse in normal use? Dunno, never tried it. However, back in the days of steam driven digital, there were a good number of cable manufacturers selling UTP cable for digital, which is completely out of spec as it's not even shielded. I tried some of this (memory fails me on brand - wanna say Tara Labs) and it sounded very detailed, and certainly not horrible, but it was a bit thin and weedy for my tastes.

Actually, UTP is well accepted as an excellent solution for AES. A BBC study rated it at the top. At normal data rates (redbook), AES only uses about 3mb/sec and normal Cat 5 is rated to 100. Very important is the very low spec for capacitance. You can stay within spec and run AES on Cat up to over a half mile.

Shielded does lower likelihood of other noise getting in, but you have to be in a really hostile, BAD environment to have that happen.

An actually, UTP used balanced, makes pretty darn good analog audio cable too from the same characteristics that makes it work well for high data rates.

I'd be suspicious of crossing up the use of 75 and 100 ohm designs.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • tonyb
    Options
    Given all that, why would a cable manufacturer make a digital 110 ohm cable with RCA plugs then ? What am I missing ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited June 2015
    Options
    RCA is an unfortunate standard. I READ what Oleboot is saying above
    and stuck w/ 75 ohm. I did buy the BJ cable for my sub but am not
    using it because of the "current" layout. Sounded good when I did use
    it, but it was an upgrade from a throwaway cable.

oh, you said guru. please ignore.
  • CoolJazz
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Given all that, why would a cable manufacturer make a digital 110 ohm cable with RCA plugs then ? What am I missing ?

Don't know of any answer for that one Tony. Using a different impedance than the design calls for doesn't make real sense to me. No doubt it'd lock to it, just would present more jitter due to the mismatch to the best of my knowledge.

And please excuse my closing comment typo. Should have said "75 and 110 ohm".

CJ
  • steveinaz
    Options

You gave a totally unrelated scenario to the point I was making. I don't know if you're trying to be an ****, or you have some sort of point to make--but the interface determines the impeadance matching; then the cable design (topology) is optimized for that connection. There's likely wire that is used across many different cables, RCA, dig Coax, AES/EBU if it meets the spec's needed for the interface.

• OleBoot
    Options

You gave a totally unrelated scenario to the point I was making. I don't know if you're trying to be an ****, or you have some sort of point to make--but the interface determines the impeadance matching; then the cable design (topology) is optimized for that connection. There's likely wire that is used across many different cables, RCA, dig Coax, AES/EBU if it meets the spec's needed for the interface.

Sorry, we posted around the same time and my post was in reply to SCompRacer's humorous comment. Mine was meant to be humorous also.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Well, so far from what I can gather, using a 110 ohm with rca plugs is suppose to pass more digital data and is used in higher end gear. More than a 75 ohm coax digital cable that is. Still can't find the downside to that theory though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • OleBoot
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Well, so far from what I can gather, using a 110 ohm with rca plugs is suppose to pass more digital data and is used in higher end gear. More than a 75 ohm coax digital cable that is. Still can't find the downside to that theory though.

I don't see that's the right conclusion. I could give a technical explanation as I understand it, but my knowledge about this stuff is self-taught and maybe wrong, and I fear the hammering I may get. Why don't you get on their website and email them from "confused in Chicago', act the dumbass, and see what they say? I would think that you are trying to get this used, but they don't know that. And, of course, share the answer.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Oleboot, my apologies---the typed word is sometimes misinterpreted; again I apologize.
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @tonyb

My understanding is that 75ohm coax is for spdif connections. 110ohm coax is for AES connections (looks like a balanced connector). The interface itself is what determines the proper coax to be used.

check this link:
    http://www.rane.com/note149.html
    EDIT:
    Eh... I see this has already been covered.
    Post edited by vc69 on
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • OleBoot
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

Monster has you covered:

2whvum5z04ez.jpg

On Friday nights, we drink the "good" wine, and I was mid sip when I saw this and...... you probably owe me about $1.
  • OleBoot
    Options
    Oleboot, my apologies---the typed word is sometimes misinterpreted; again I apologize.

Steve - no problem, I realized what had happened when I saw your reply.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    RCA is an unfortunate standard.

This is no BS, BNC should be the standard over RCA and F-type

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • OleBoot
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    RCA is an unfortunate standard.

This is no BS, BNC should be the standard over RCA and F-type

For digital, AES/EBU theoretically ameliorates the noise problems that the RCA has, but still uses S/PDIF at the protocol level, which is also flawed. USB is a much better proposition on paper. But I don't have revealing enough equipment or enough experience trying this to say theory is proven in practice.