Apple Guys I Could Use Some Help !

gimpod
gimpod Posts: 1,793
First off I have no love for Apple and would NEVER buy any of there junk for reasons to numerous to list but that's just me.

My problem well not really mine but my caregivers who now both own iPhones (a 4 & a 6). Now when they first got them we set them up to access my wifi router a Dlink WBR-1310 and no problems until they left and came back ever sense then both phones won't reconnect to my network, they just sit there saying connecting to "my routers name" while the little icon spins away and they never connect.

Yes they are using the correct password, I've reset the router, they've reset the network settings on there phones (this is the most recommended fix) and yes I've searched for an answer (this seems to be a common problem with iPhones) to no avail. Everything else works fine with my wifi, my Squeezebox Touch & HP laptop there kindles (regular & fire) and laptops (a HP & a Asus). The one with the 6 use to have a Galaxy 4 that would connect as soon as she would pull into my parking spot but then she went and bricked it a couple weeks ago (dropped it once to often) and got stuck with the iPhone 6 'cause that's all they had.

Anyway any ideas would be appreciated.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Only thought in my head is make sure your routers setup to allow that many devices to connect to it.

Then try to have their phones "forget" that network and then reconnect.

Lastly if your using encryption, maybe try using a different type (IE go from WEP to WPA or something).....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited June 2015
    Router must be in AES. Spamming Tree set to on.
    Also Do what was said above, forget network and then re type in the password to your SSID.
    Lets back off the junk comments ok especially if you want help from a Apple guy.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gimpod
    @mantis Your right I shouldn't have used "junk" when referring to all things Apple as to not to offend the delicate nature of all Apple users everywhere, It still doesn't change my very low option of everything Apple.

The main point is no longer valid as nether want's to do a factory reset of there phones, to much stuff to lose and they say it's not worth it. I would be interested in finding out why there phones quit working with my wifi but they don't care so that's that's.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have a otterbox for my Apple phone, there a must for when you get made enough to throw them across the #$$% room. they say you can toss them off a cliff, will not in the flat lands of Kansas you can't!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gimpod
    ^^^ Another happy Apple customer I take it. :/>:)
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    I think nbrowser means to turn off the phone completely and turn it back on. That isn't a factory reset. That solves lots of computer issues. Wi-Fi is the biggest pain in the rass ever invented!
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    voltz wrote: »
    I have a otterbox for my Apple phone, there a must for when you get made enough to throw them across the #$$% room. they say you can toss them off a cliff, will not in the flat lands of Kansas you can't!

Give them to Dorthy, there are cliffs in Oz...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited June 2015
    a firmware update of your router might resolve this issue.
    it's not too difficult a process. usually the most difficult part is rounding up your admin username and password for the device :)

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=WBR-1310

essentially, you'd log into your router over the web admin address, typically some variant of 192.168.x.y (ref the manual here in the above link if you don't have it handy). Next, you'd look for an Admin or Advanced tab, or Status, or something like that, or something to the effect of Firmware. Then check the existing version of the firmware against what's available for your device. Looks like there were three or four variants of this particular router, so you'll probably look at the label on it to see which one you have.

It's worth a shot, and it's free.

If you really wanted this fixed, and the firmware doesn't do it, you're probably looking at a router upgrade. I personally prefer Netgear stuff (it's proven very reliable in my experience), or the Apple Airport Extreme. Not an iFan, necessarily, but do enjoy the notebooks and wifi networking gear. they're all just tools to me; both sides offer some device and equipment benefits or refinements that the other doesn't.

If you get a new router, I think most everything is N-class now. Make sure whatever you're looking at is if it's not obvious. There's probably even better more advanced stuff out now, but consider making this your new baseline.

feel free to PM me if you want to try this and would like some help or more info.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gimpod
    @msg I think your right it's my router, it does have the latest (ver 2.02 07/2007) firmware and they don't have problems connecting elsewhere. But I'm not going spend well over $200 for a new 4 port gigabit router with external antennas (live in an apt internals don't work very good) just so they can connect there iPhones.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    yeah, it shouldn't cost you that much for a reliable wifi router with decent range these days, but I think I know where you're coming from. Wifi router technology's gotten a lot better over the years, so most of the newer stuff should give you pretty decent range. Used to just be the way of it to have to deal with sketchy connectivity, or have them burn up in a year or two.

If you wanted to give this a shot, here are a couple that should work pretty well. You could get them at Best Buy for their relatively liberal return policy, just in case they don't work out. I set my parents up with the WNR2000 model years ago (or something very similar), and it's been solid. I wouldn't see you having too much trouble with range using one of these unless you keep your network gear low down behind a desk, or tucked away in a cabinet.

Netgear WNR2000-100NAS; $40
    http://bit.ly/1HgkAmv

NETGEAR N750 DualBand WirelessN Gigabit Router WNDR4300-100NAS; $90
    http://bit.ly/1HgkOu0

just a suggestion/recommendation; might be worth a shot.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Check the frequency settings on the router.

I had issues connecting my iPhones to my home network when it was set to 5ghz, switched the setting to 2.4ghz and have had zero issues since.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I love it...

You come in asking for help from Apple guys, call their/our gear junk, insult them/us and our 'delicate nature'...and then did I read correctly that it's not actually an Apple issue?

To each his own and you're certainly free to hate and like what you want, I just thought this thread was funny.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • gimpod
    edited June 2015
    bikerboy wrote: »

@bikerboy Thank you so much for pointing me in a direction that makes sense, I kinda thought it might be a DNS problem with the iPhone's as they keep coming up with DNS addresses not even close to that of my router.

On a side note all you Apple guys don't get so defensive just because I called Apple junk, I think it's like a religion with you guys come on get a grip haven't you figured it out yet ALL CONSUMER ELECTRONICS are junk they have obsolescence built in to them as nothing is made to last anymore. These days the end user is nothing more than an unpaid beta tester at best.

When was the last time you bought anything that had more than a 1 or 2 (if that) year warranty, They expect you to upgrade/replace it at the end of the warranty or before. Most likely the item will be out of production before the warranty is up. How many times have you returned something under warranty only to to have it replaced with the newer (so called) better model because they no longer make the one you sent back or there were to many problems with your model.

I have 4 Wintel computers which I also call junk, So get over it, I guess Emotiva gear never gets trashed around here.
    Post edited by gimpod on
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I think the issue here is not that you upset Apple people, it's that you preface your request for help by proclaiming said items you need help with as junk and would never buy.

Let's suppose you came on here and started a thread by saying "First off I have no love for Polk and would never buy any of their junk...but I need help with one of their products."

I'm thinking thats gonna over real well. Perhaps you said something to the effect..."I think Android phones are junk, but...." I'm thinking same response.

Why not just start a thread asking for help with an issue and leave it at that. The first sentence could have been left off and none of this would have happened.
    No excuses!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited June 2015
    Look, I'll give Mr. gimpod a lot of leeway to make comments about Apple gear or any other gear, for that matter. His boards have done wonders for a lot of us, after all.

With that said, I've had a lot of experience with Apple, Dell, HP, IBM (now, Lenovo), Toshiba, Samsung, Motorola and only God know what other gear. I'm not exactly a neophyte, but I lay no claims to expertise comparable to that of many other guys on the Forum.

My experience has been that Apple gear is, in fact, more reliable than any other manufacturer's gear that I have bought and used for myself or members of my family.

But even if that anecdotal "data" is incorrect (I've kept no records of reliability and durability of any of these items), I do know that every time I have had a problem with any Apple product of my own or of my wife or daughters, Apple has taken care of it with few or no questions asked -- even when the product was out of warranty by two or three months. When a product was nearing the end of warranty coverage, on at least two occasions, Apple has actually replaced the product with a brand new product (not refurbished, remanufactured or what ever euphemism is used by, for example Samsung or Verizon for cell phones).

Moreover, because Apple provided a new product with the latest technological upgrades, they also provided the normal, full new product warranty.

While that might not mean much if their products failed much more frequently or lasted for shorter periods than others' products, their products' reliability and durability, as I said, appear to me to be comparable to or better than others.

I am "loyal" to Apple not because their products are necessarily better than others' products, but because their technical assistance, repair, and replacement policies are FAR better than any I have experienced from any other manufacturer.

Just my humble opinion.

By the way, while I worked directly for Steve Jobs for 3+ years, I never worked at Apple -- only NeXT. :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• gimpod
    @Strong Bad Yea your probably right and I knew it would piss off the Apple guys at the time but hey I like to stir things up every once in awhile. >:)

You Apple guys should grow some thicker skin after all while in 1981 just 2 years after ending up in a wheelchair for life I got called "Another Useless Vegetable Who Would Be Better Off Dead" to my face and never got that upset or complained about it, Heck I had a T-Shirt made. So grow a pair and get off my back!
  • gimpod
    Mods I got my answer so close this out before it turns ugly and I get myself banned.
This discussion has been closed.