I have a question... HT setup

Options
JerryR1vers
JerryR1vers Posts: 17
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I continue to hear about the importance of setting up you HT properly or even the best equipment will sound "muddy" "sound worse than it should" "damage may happen".

What is the purist's way of setting HT up correctly?

Is it with a setup DVD? Which one is best?

Do you stand in the middle of the room with a db meter and make sure you get equal sound out of each front and back channel?

Is the setup for subs different than the front, back, center, setup? Is there a way to correctly select the proper crossover freq and amplification? Or is this a personal preference as long as you don't shake the stuff off of the walls?

That's all the questions I have. I lied -it was more than one question. Thanks to all you purists. I own a pair of SDA2B's and I they they are cool, sound pretty good too. 8^)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    What is the purist's way of setting HT up correctly?

to get optimal performance out of your system, i suggest setting it up using AVIA, then tweak it from there

Is it with a setup DVD? Which one is best?

AVIA, IMO anyway...

Do you stand in the middle of the room with a db meter and make sure you get equal sound out of each front and back channel?

using an SPL meter from the veiwing position you get all your levels correct, and then you can fine tune from there. (the AVIA disc will help you with this proccess)

Is the setup for subs different than the front, back, center, setup? Is there a way to correctly select the proper crossover freq and amplification? Or is this a personal preference as long as you don't shake the stuff off of the walls?

yes, the sub set-up is very tricky, and it is base on personal prefrences. the AVIA disc has great test tones to help calibrate the sub with your front speakers so you do not miss any frequencies...

the disc has many chapters on educating the user on HT, speaker placement, test tones, etc. for $30 or whatever this is, it is probably the best upgrade for the money you can put into a system...
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2002
    Options
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney