Looking for a Home Theater receiver

Options
Mr. Sharpe
Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
edited May 2015 in Electronics
Some what recently I did away with my home theater due to space issues and just kept my 2.0 things. Well I'm wanting to get the HT back up again. I have a Denon AVR 3805 I was using but I'm wanting HDMI audio pass through, maybe even with standby pass through. there's not really a budget yet so if you'd name a few good ones (doesn't have to be top end but needs 12v triggers and preouts just incase). I've read a lot on Marantz's and Denon's offerings, but I notice the denon's can be more beefy weight wise some of the time. I like either brand but others will do as well.... I may even end up adding a 2ch amp or 5ch amp and use the receiver as a pre/pro, hence wanting preouts and 12v triggers:)

I will be using a Marantz UD-7007, after reading a lot decided from much research, compared to the Oppo 105, I like the idea of the marantz over the Oppo for it's analog section. thanks.

Like I said there's not really a price limit yet, but nothing over $1,000. there are a lot of Refurbs on Accessori4less that are very affrodable and much nicer AVR's of the brands mentioned.

many many thanks in advance.
Home theater:
43” Westinghouse Displayer
Marantz UD-7007 Player
Emotiva MC-700 Processor
Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
Parasound Zamp Amplifier
Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
Klipsch RC-10 Center
Klipsch R34c Fronts
Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
Parasound P6 Preamplifer
Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I always liked Sony ES receivers. My loved 5700ES fried a thermal sensor and Sony sent me a new one. It's up for sale if you want. Has everything you are looking for.

Also look at Onkyo. When I found out that I would be without a receiver for a month I went and picked up last years model 626 and was impressed. The 838 should have everything you are looking for and be under budget for $799 @ Amazon.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I concur on the Onk 838. Great reviews and future proof...for a while. I switched from Pioneer AB to Onk AB and couldn't be happier.
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    I when from a oink not sure what model I paid $1800 for it and returned it in a week just wasn't for me.

Then a few HK models and settled on the HK 3600 for a few years.

Last Christmas I picked up the new Yamaha 2040 fantastic AVR all the features you could want couldn't be happier.

Enjoy the hunt.

Cheers
    Roger

• Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    I never thought to use Yamaha, Onkyo or Sony ES. I had a Sony STR-de597 long time ago, it was my ht receiver and it worked fine until it got old and I could put ear to it and hear it humming. things change though. I'm using an Onkyo TX8555 as a stereo pre right now and haven't any problems at all either until the other day I turned it on and loud buzzing (like a loose wire) came out of the speakers. didn't get the sound with just the amp plugged into the wall so I can only assume it's the receiver. My 1 year-old daughter like to repeatedly push the power button and I'm sure that's what's up.

I haven't had experience with any Yamaha but I haven't anything bad about them. mostly the reason for the denon and marantz mentioned is because I've used the denon receiver and liked it, super nice sound and beefy. and of course a few of their players. and the marantz would match the ud player. We'll see if anyone else with experience with newer denons or others will chime in sometime.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Had a long discussion couple nights ago with a fellow Polkie

We were both surfing the internet about pros/cons for a new AVR, anyway looks like Denon and Marantz are ahead of the tech curve for a change VS Pio etc.

Their units are firmware upgrade able for the new Dolby DTS-X release. The current Pio generation is not. There was a few other pro/cons and looks like Marantz will be up my alley in the future...this is coming from a long time Pio nerd
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    Thank for the reply, could you please direct to that thread so I may read it?
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    Or maybe some model no.s would help.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    We were talking on the phone, here is one of the several aricles
    http://hometheaterreview.com/dts-provides-more-details-on-the-dtsx-platform/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    "My 1 year-old daughter like to repeatedly push the power button and I'm sure that's what's up."
    I lost the needle on my dual TT that way. My 1 YO wanted to hear music but didn't realize you needed to put vinyl on it first. :D
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lower to mid-level Denons have suspect amplification. Denons have been on a diet for years! Their amps are Home Theater "light" except for the HEAVIEST, more EXPENSIVE models!

I like Marantz SR6009 or higher model. And Onkyos have always been pretty "current" if you want bells and whistles 8XX series or higher. I still prefer the D amps in Pioneer Elites, though.

I'd also look at the AVENTAGE series Yamahas. Improved sound over anything older! Put Yamaha back in the AVR game. Having the "latest" processing and "only" focusing on that, may bring the buggiest firmware to your house?
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    I'd shoot for the AV8801, AV7702, or the SR7009. All have XT32. The AV8802 is nice too but pricey but it will be able to be upgraded to the latest codecs and HDCP 2.2.

For me I don't need that so I'm in the 8801, 7009, 7702 range depending on pricing. I'd like the 7009 for the extra amps for more surround speakers and Atmos if I ever go that route, but the pre-pros also interests me as if think they have better parts since no amps needed.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    I love my Yamaha Aventage, no matter how many of my posts saying so are LOL'd by WilliamM2 and his Monoprice cables.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    +1 for the Aventage....my Onkyo nr717 sounded great, but the UI would lag a bit, and was buggy at times. My Aventage 1010 is very responsive, and doesn't do anything weird, ever. Oh yeah it sounds just about right with the RTi's IMO.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    Platform wise I'm really no in need of Bluetooth,wifi etc. or upgrades. I'm not nuts about being current bc I don't get half of what they're doing! But most the hd sound plats there are that will be used in the ud player.

Would a av7005 be worth a try? Sr6009 would be fine but that 7005 is cheaper refurbished. I may go with something used if I can get a good price.... I'm not going completely nuts with it
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Lower to mid-level Denons have suspect amplification. Denons have been on a diet for years! Their amps are Home Theater "light" except for the HEAVIEST, more EXPENSIVE models!

I like Marantz SR6009 or higher model. And Onkyos have always been pretty "current" if you want bells and whistles 8XX series or higher. I still prefer the D amps in Pioneer Elites, though.

I'd also look at the AVENTAGE series Yamahas. Improved sound over anything older! Put Yamaha back in the AVR game. Having the "latest" processing and "only" focusing on that, may bring the buggiest firmware to your house?

So would a 7007 be higher than a 6009 cus that's one I'm looking at also.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I recommend the Onk TX SR 805. Can be had reasonable now. It's a friggin beast and if you don't need all the latest doo cats it's a sound choice. It just doesn't seem to run out of gas. Has the older Audysey and weighs 50 plus pounds for a reason. One of the best AVRs I've ever heard.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You cannot go wrong with the Marantz. Easy setup, plenty power, and not shabby at for 2 channel music. I have 2 older units a SR8002 and a SR6003, both excellent at what they do. My choice would be the 7007 over the 6009.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    cnh wrote: »

So would a 7007 be higher than a 6009 cus that's one I'm looking at also.

Yes! But it is an older model. The new model would be the 7009-which has Dolby Atmos processing and a number of other new features. You should see if it meets your feature needs.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    It's twice as much as the 7007 though. I'm not going to need atmos, just read about a little bit. I'm only going to have a 5.1 traditional setup for the time being, I may one day have 7.1. Most of my movies are DVDs as well, I may get a few blu rays here and there. The 7007 has the features I need, but I've read a good bit on separates and can afford one of marantzs older processors for not that bad like the av I mentioned.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Make sure it's got Audyssey XT or XT32.... You really want that feature!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The SR7007 has Audyssey XT.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Phone rang Skippy, hit post by mistake. See, I came back and finished.

• Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    Lol the best signature:)

I meant the AV7007 but it looks it sold out.... Or av 7701. I mean I plan on getting separates regardless, pretty much thinking it'd be pointless to get an avr if I can afford a preamp.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    I've been thinking too, I'm not going to use balanced cables bc my amp won't have xlr inputs. Probably be pointless getting one of their preamps then. With the avr I'll have the power amp separate then have all those extra speaker amps on the receiver if I need them. Now it's just a matter of choosing the receiver:)
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    We'll see what comes up. I agree with that thought though. I don't have an amp already but I've seen they can be had for not a lot of money.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • mrloren
    Options
    It's all about how much you want or can spend.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Options
    agreed. I appreciate all the replies!
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    My Yamaha was $1200 new bought it used from @Rick88 for around $650. If you aren't against used you can save a ton of dough.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I wouldn't overlook the Aventage series. I have had a couple of decent Onkyo avrs and a pre hdmi marantz home theater 5.1 preamp w/ ext yamaha amplification, and in my experience the Yamaha Aventage AVR is seemingly as good as the pre/processor amp combo. (still using ext. Amplifier for the mains). The Onkyo's with audyssey were fantastic for movies, but the un-eq'd Aventage does very good with both music and movies as did the Marantz.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren
    Options
    A few months back a couple of coworkers and I were at Fry's demoing speakers. The sales guy was using Yamaha receivers. I did like the sound of them. The Onkyo I got to temp replace my Sony ES sounds great on movies but just does not have the power for music.

Next year I will be seriously looking at either Yamaha or Onkyo to replace my main HT receiver. I will go check them out at Fry's and Best Buy and most likely either order from Amazon or Accessories for less.