Replacements for the LsiM line

Options
sgtmick63
sgtmick63 Posts: 166
Anybody heard of polk planning to introduce new speakers to replace the LsiM line?

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I am no insider, but the LSi series ran for 10+ years, so I wouldn't be holding my breath.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Lsim's are the newest line, why would you think they'd replace them already ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Options
    I've had mine for 4 years now looking to upgrade. I'm not really to impressed what I see coming out of Polk lately. Nothing really interests me from their line.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I havent heard them but, i have read lots of good things on the lsim line. What didnt you like about them or what do you feel is missing from them?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I wouldn't expect the Polk brand to come out with anything more upscale than the LSiM speakers, as they are excellent for what they are. Maybe in a few years they'll refresh the current line, or stop producing them altogether. Definitive Tech speakers are supposed to be the more upscale speakers from the corporate family now. I'd probably look there or to GoldenEar Technology speakers for something different now if sticking to a US company.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I've been very impressed with what I've heard from Focal and Totem.

If you're looking for better than LSiM, time to look outside of Polk...
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I've been very impressed with what I've heard from Focal and Totem. If you're looking for better than LSiM, time to look outside of Polk...
    Exactly...pick your flavor....I was pretty impressed with the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand and the Focal Aria 948 here recently...and it was a short listening session. There is SO many flavors out sound out there....crazy amount of speakers in the $3K-$6K range.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sgtmick63 wrote: »
    I've had mine for 4 years now looking to upgrade. I'm not really to impressed what I see coming out of Polk lately. Nothing really interests me from their line.

Like others have mentioned, if you want to upgrade you'll have to veer away from polk. What are you trying to improve/change about the sound? Lots of speakers out there...

That said, I will say that the LSiM's are one of the rare speakers out there that need to be paired with equipment costing much more than themselves to really shine. My usual rule of thumb for a 2-channel setup is 50% on speakers, 50% on everything else... but the LSiM's break that rule. You need to spend several times their cost on components before you'll hear what they're capable of. They are extremely versatile in that way: they are very forgiving and can sound excellent with a budget receiver, but stick'em with some higher end gear and they really come alive.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    I know this is an older thread but the last comment raises some questions.... what aspect of the equipment is needed to get the most out of the LSiM's? Is it current requirement in the amps?
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    I've got them paired with parasound JC-1 monoblocks through a Linn 5103 preamp.... both costing MSRP significantly more than the LSIM 705s.
    They sound awesome.
    703s currently being driven by Adcom 200W amp and deliver well in my near field listening area.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • tonyb
    Options
    I know this is an older thread but the last comment raises some questions.... what aspect of the equipment is needed to get the most out of the LSiM's? Is it current requirement in the amps?

Kind of a subjective question. Everything has it's limits though. Good clean current every speaker can benefit from and should be at the top of the priority list. Upstream electronic and cabling also play a part. You simply put the system together until it pleases your ears, kinda like a jigsaw puzzle finding the right pieces that will synergize with everything else until your satisfied.

I would gather if your happy with the overall sound of whatever speaker you have, start upgrading the electronics and cabling for further benefits. If your at a point where upgrading the electronics and cabling is making little to no difference, then that would tell me that's a limitation of the speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    That's what I gathered, but I was wondering if there was something specific that falconcry was referring to. Thanks.

I agree on the Adcom amps. I like them paired with LSi/LsiM speakers. Not the end-all solution but a great start.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I don't think he was referring to anything specific. He was just stating the LSIM line responds well to better electronics than some previous Polk lines. In other words, the LSIM line has less limitations than the lower lines....in his view.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's