Deoxit

Options
I saw this product mentioned in some old threads. I want to know if you folks still recommend it and if so do you have any tips on which products to use and how and where to use them. Thanks

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DeOxit is mainly used on buttons and controls and sometimes on RCA input and output jacks to rejuvenate older products, make contacts better, and lubricate and clean dust out of rotary controls and knobs on receivers and amps, etc.

If you have any old equipment it is a good first step in making sure whatever problem you're having is not do to dust and oxidation, etc.

I just used this on the controls on a Scott R-376 receiver I picked up a few weeks ago. One channel was intermittent and some of the inputs (AUX, Tape, etc.) were dirty and not providing good contact. How to use? There are some VERY GOOD youtube vids on this. You have to open the unit up and spray a little into some of the "openings" in the BACK of the knobs, etc. Then work the controls a few dozen times to get the product into the mechanism. It really does wonders with this. Also good on the back for RCAs.

You need to let it dry a little before use. There are CHEAPER versions of DeOxit available. Radio Shack used to sell it's own version and there are others.

More will chime in!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    I used it to clean the switches, buttons and knobs on a used NAD 7600 I picked up because there was static when I used any of them and it really helped. Still a little bit of static on a few of the controls, probably just need another clean to get all the dust/grime out.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    DeOxit D5 is, as far as I am concerned, the best readily available contact cleaner today.
    Here's a tutorial - of sorts - on the use of D5 (it's not for everything, so a little caution is indicated) from audiokarma.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I was wondering if it would do a good job of preventing oxidation on bare wire jumpers and any other exposed copper or will it gum up and attract dust?
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CAIG has a product called "Progold" (oops, I guess now it's called "DeOxit Gold"!) that's designed for that sort of application.
    http://www.parts-express.com/caig-deoxit-d100l-2db-brush-bottle-74-ml--341-215

EDIT: CAIG makes all kind of stuff -- a pretty much bewildering array of products, but -- AFAIK -- they're all good and some are quite good. They've also changed names of many of their products in the not-too-distant past.
    http://www.caig.com/
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    CAIGer Soze is many things and can become "many" others. lol

Although a bit pricey as a package. I've bought both together and used the GOLD. As mhardy says, it works quite well for what you have in mind!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I just today got an e-mail from Antique Electronics Supply announcing a sale there on (some) CAIG products. Might (???) be worth a look, if the prices are good & shipping's not outrageous. I've bought from them (Antique Electronics, that is) many times over the years; it's a good company to do business with, IME.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/search/node/CAIG
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    here is a little kit that Doug sells, and he usually sends it with his cables. I like the little instruments included for cleaning inside the RCA connectors & plugs!

http://douglasconnection.com/Connection-Cleaning-Kit-DCCCK.htm
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt
    Options
    That looks like a nice kit to have on hand I wish I had remembered to add it to my order from Doug today duh lol.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    Email Doug I'm sure he can remedy that. :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Doug is way too fast, I will get it on the next round.
  • voltz
    Options
    I think Doug added some Dexoit to each order I got from him.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    Options
    Deoxit is some amazing stuff. In my experience, the actual Deoxit brand is better than the competing products. I've tried a few different brands and the Deoxit seemed to do the best job of cleaning potentiometers and terminals and such without leaving any type of residue behind.
    voltz wrote: »
    here is a little kit that Doug sells, and he usually sends it with his cables. I like the little instruments included for cleaning inside the RCA connectors & plugs!

http://douglasconnection.com/Connection-Cleaning-Kit-DCCCK.htm

This is a really cool little cleaning kit. There have been so many occasions where those RCA cleaners would have been very helpful.

I'm not familiar with Douglas Connection, but I've seen a lot of people mentioning it since I started coming back around. I'll have to look into their other products.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • voltz
    Options
    My main system is made up mostly of Dougs cables, I have his Furez IC's and furez Speaker cables, I bought some bare wire for my DIY project for 2nd system and now he sells VTI audio racks and amp stands and I bought a couple of VTI products from him etc...And I got to hang out with him at LSAF in Dallas :) he without a doubt one of the nicest person you could ever meet!

• afterburnt
    Options
    what will happen if I use it and it does not dry?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Depends where you use it. It is suppose to leave a film
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I have been stripping cable and I left them for like days and they were dripping with deoxit and I damn near dry brushed them with it???
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I brush some on my bare wire put my ends on call it a day...nothing dripping.... I do not use it on ends I'm going to solder.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @pitdogg2 I can only get on the floor once lol. I been terminating cables and making jumpers still but I want to open up my installed dead bolts and brush em down but I don't want stay on the floor till the dry!
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My god man sit in a chair.. lol
    Like I said no dripping a little goes a long way. It should not dry as that isn't really how it works. You using red or gold? I have both and use both. I use the gold on anything that touches gold.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    You should be good I have brushed that inside binding post then plugged in my bananas, it is an oil like substance so it will take a long time to evaporate.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Afterburnt, read the instructions. Use very small amounts, wipe off any excess.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    I've used Deoxit on pro audio stuff (amps, mic preamps, etc.) with great results. It's worked well on everything I've tried it on. I would echo the point about diligent attention to instructions.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I think I will start painting my Fender Champ with this stuff.