What a "F"n week

Hello,

I just need to vent this a bit.....

My week started off by last weekend ending wrong...

My loved Sony ES receiver shut down with "Fan Stopped" error... Called Sony on Monday and got the part number for the fan on Monday. Well good luck finding the fan. I called one repair shop and the guy said the network and main board are bad, the fan is good. I took the fan out and tested it on my PC yup the fan is good.

Tuesday I was going to send the receiver back but come to find Sony wont pay for shipping. Even I knew the person I was talking to from my CRT days. Called my old manager at Sony and no Sony wont pay for shipping even employees have to pay for shipping now... crud. Now I have to wait till payday or pull from savings. It's a want not a need so savings stays.

Wednesday I got rear ended by some stoned jerk kid who tried to take off. My passenger took out his phone and took a picture of his tags and then he pulled over. No big damage my car is OK just a scratch on the bumper his insurance is going to pay to get fixed. My passanger and I are fine too.

Took Thursday off work and still got dragged into an ALL hands meeting so I could listen to people speak on how great they are.

Friday was another day off. well should have been. Got dragged into an argument that I am being an "A" hole making people work to hard. Yes I have to admit I am a bit over, If they don't like me they can go work for Tony Beets. Our Friday night movie sucked and the wife actually complained about the sound or lack there of. I told her that I can get a decent receiver for about $300 and when the Sony get back I will put the new one in our room. "it will get rid of 50% of the wires in bedroom HT. she said yes! oh my.

So today starts like a normal day, woke up took my 15 year old son to his Saturday bowling league. Kid was on fire bowled a 248, 300 and 256. not only did he get another perfect game but his first 800 series OH YES! While at the bowling ally one of the USBC directors handed me a check for the city adult tournament, came in 5th in doubles cool $90. WOW that is shipping. We get home and the wife ask me if I ordered the new receiver yet. She doesn't want to watch another movie in crud TV sound. So I go to Amazon and ordered the Onkyo TX-NR626. It was like $307 but I forgot I still had gift card money from Christmas in there. came out to $240. I get the shipping notice a few minutes ago and it will be delivered tomorrow. far out!

My week started like crud and is now ending perfect or as close to perfect as it can. Yes I did buy lottery tickets too :)

Sorry for the long thread, I had to vent a bit.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Been there, done that. Sun is out, drink in hand, let it go brother...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2015
    Broken gear sux, big time. However, other than Shunyata, I always have had to pay to ship there, and then the vendor pays return shipping. Shunyata really stepped up when I semi-broke my Triton. They sent UPS to my house to pick it up, fixed it the day they received it, shipped it back the next day, and the founder, Caelin
    Gabriel, contacted me to explain what they did.

I can tell you a freaking horror story about Sony non-repair of a three month old 3100ES DVD/SACD player.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Broken gear sux, big time. However, other than Shunyata, I always have had to pay to ship there, and then the vendor pays return shipping. Shunyata really stepped up when I semi-broke my Triton. They sent UPS to my house to pick it up, fixed it the day they received it, shipped it back the next day, and the founder, Caelin
    Gabriel, contacted me to explain what they did.

I can tell you a freaking horror story about Sony non-repair of a three month old 3100ES DVD/SACD player.

Your 3100ES go to Laredo TX or was it local. I know Laredo sucked for service. A co-worker put a strip of seal tape on his broken DVD player sent it there and they never opened it. They just sent it back still broken. I hope they don't do that with my ES

When they had a local service center all I needed to do was walk in with the receipt and it would be fixed in a week.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • BlueFox
    Well, since you asked, here we go. :)

Laredo was the service center. I had bought the 3100ES from Crutchfield around three months before it broke. What happened was the video stopped displaying. Everything else seemed okay. Being an ES it had a five year warranty, so I got my return authorization, and shipped it off to Laredo. I also boxed it up in the original box just like it was shipped to me.

A week later Laredo contacts me and says I have to pay to have it repaired since somebody had done unauthorized repair work on it. I explained that it was new and, except maybe at the factory, it had never been touched. Too bad they said, pay up. I went as high up as I could, but no one would budge. I was really irritated since it was obvious they were just making that up as an excuse to not fix it under warranty. Anyway, I said just send it back to me. Then as the final insult, they didn't send it back in its original container, but in an oversize box with a sheet of bubble wrap around it.

I contacted Crutchfield, and even though it was outside their return window, they exchanged it with another.

I was really mad with Sony, and just writing this has gotten me spun up again.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    yup Laredo sucked, even for us Sony employees. It is now closed! I left Sony because the CRT facility closed. Laredo employees left Sony because they sucked...

When the referb center was in San Diego I never had a problem buying class "B" referb items. The receiver in the warehouse at work is from 2001 a referb and it still plays nice for 9 hours a day 5 days a week. Once they moved all refreb's to Laredo it went to crud fast. I use to like the referb cost about 25% of new. But when you get a DVD player and its missing the board it becomes a waste of time and money.
  • BlueFox
    Alliteration?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    LOL. Appropriate, ever since the MBAs took over Sony it has been going downhill.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    It's not just Sony any more. Buy anything and it is hit and miss once it's out of the box. When I can I buy from either Amazon or Costco. They will step up when the manufacture suck at honoring their warranty. Try getting a printer RMA or fixed through the manufacture. Trust me it wont happen.

There was a time when buying Sony ES it came out of the box and worked till you were tired of looking at it. I still have a DVD3100ES DVD/SACD player I use and a STR-DA2100ES receiver. both still work great. I did get my 5700ES from Sony through a friend who was able to stick around.

As for an employer Sony was top notch till the end. I have only worked for 3 companies for the last 30 years and the Army. Sony by far was the best to work for, my current employer being the worst.
  • BlueFox
    As a side-note, the 3100ES DVD/SACD player is what got me listening to music again. For whatever reason, I had stopped listening to music during the 90s. Around 2005 or so, I was building up my HT system, and one night I put an old CD in the 3100ES, and was surprised at how good it sounded. After that point, I just went on a binge building up the HT and the two channel system.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    I still use my 3100ES, for music it can't be beat. I run at least 5 disc a week in there and it is still going strong like a Sony ES should. My brother sold his for like $250 on eBay a few months ago.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    I refuse to give Sony any more of my hard earned money.
    Everything I have ever bought Brand New has been repaired at least once or thrown away, my Trinitron was out of warranty by I believe it was 35 days and they said too bad, Pay us..
    My receiver and a few VHS players all repaired and they were not low end models.
    My son has gone through 3 Playstation 3's
    Never again not one dime will they get from me.
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables