Bottlehead Crack

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The hammertone look is a good one, methinks. Not that you have to get stuck with my (questionable) taste! ;- )
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Hammertone is pretty cool. More thin coats rather than fewer thick coats and plenty of drying time in between. I have no patience and I redid that one top plate about 4 times before I got it where I liked it.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    I'm still stuck in Bottlehead's not shipped limbo with my phono stage!

Someone should start a where to buy Hammertone paint...like the infamous where to buy black paint thread.....lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well I kept looking at the silver & gold hammer paint and went with the Gold. I did what the dude on Biron's link said about doing 8 light layers in 2 minutes & 30 seconds for each layer and no less time and no more and only light coats.

I think it came out pretty good but now it will need days to dry. Not going to stain the box till after I'm done with the soldering & building of the insides.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    LOL I can't believe I got the box square the 1st time :) and I choose a lighter color for the plate cause the stain for the box will be a dark cherry.
    hxkncv0fbd7z.jpg

The Flash washes out the Hammered look , I should have taken it outside in natural light but its still drying!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Lookin' mighty fine so far.

Yes, DSkip, you should (get your hands dirty) -- the sweat equity is a big value-add (in more ways than one). Slingin' a little solder also can help to demystify 'what's behind the curtain', so to speak.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Nice job on the box so far voltz. I get to cheat when I do mine. I have a couple picture frame clamps to hold corners at a perfect 90. I will also go the route of dark cherry.

MH...are you on a crusade to convert one individual at a time to DIY? :D
    Again, I directly blame you for all of this...ALL!!

Where is my reduction review!!!!!!! >:)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I am not alone in my quest... and,also: remember that I am very (very) cheap! It's a New England thing. ;- )
  • voltz
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    rjuv5as1ziu4.gif

Mrbiron I think someone wants to see your Crack :blush:

• mhardy6647
    Options
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Not to offend certain members who don't want women exploited butt...

pbb5gixdxd7j.jpg
  • mrbiron
    Options
    My crack is currently in a cardboard box. Well, most of it at least. ;)

I'm going to start the wood box this weekend and possibly stain it. Still leaning for a gloss black top and dark...I mean DARK cherry stain.

Good one Ken. In the world of construction, we hand out "hurt feelings memos" for those who can't cut it. Look'em up...most things mentioned on them will get people fired but we are a different breed :p
  • voltz
    Options
    A little progress
    k2y5jhem9bk9.jpg
    BH_2.jpg 198.1K

• mhardy6647
    Options
    "A little progress"?!? It looks like its Finnish -- I mean, finished.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Nice! Whadaya think of the sound?
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • voltz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    doesn't work --> it is only for show as I just plugged some tubes in and wires for the picture only B) sorry for "The Illusion of Progress"

• mhardy6647
    edited June 2015
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    doesn't work --> it is only for show as I just plugged some tubes in and wires for the picture only B) sorry for "The Illusion of Progress"

As a former "high-tech" industry worker... all I can say is that I am ahem more than familiar with the "Illusion of Progress" approach ;- )
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Voltz, did you get the upgraded version where you get power through the RCA's? ;)

My pops is painting my plates this week and i "might" be able to grab them this weekend. If that's the case, i'll be starting the build as soon as August 26th...
    He called me up last night and says;

"what the h*ll are these things and what do you want me to do with them?"
    I says "Mind your Ps & Qs old man!"
    He says "Get bent, like what i'm about to do to your precious metal!"
    I says "I love you".....All is well
  • voltz
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Doug's cables are hooked up wrong too. :o

Good eyes Skip, I did that so that it would say Douglas on them in the picture!

• ALL212
    Options
    So will the real question be that these Cracks are better than Schit?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Options
    LOL that is the ultimate question.

z2jag4h53aed.jpg

• mrbiron
    Options
    That's quite the lineup you got there.
  • voltz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yeah, kind of crazy but fun, but I am sure I can always sell the others I don't want ..I just know that after building a crack I won't be selling it.
    The WOO WA3 is like the Crack in that it does not like 32ohm headphones.

• mrbiron
    Options
    Dah!...I better get my "buy on" as that is what my pair is!
    Thankfully, I got plenty of time for that.
  • voltz
    Options
    My Schitt Valhalla 2 has a high & low switch so it handles almost all headphones. It likes the Grado headphones and the Senn's.

• ALL212
    Options
    Next step up in the BH line is actually the S.E.X. amp. It does speakers but also headphones and you can put in an impedance switch bank to use almost any headphone on them. I have that pair of MrSpeakers headphones at 50 ohms and the Crack can't handle them but the S.E.X. dials right in.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Options
    I wish it was easier to send ya stuff Ken, or I would ship my Valhalla to ya and yet you try them out together..., except for the tubes I bet that the Asgard can hold its own with the Valhalla ;)

• ALL212
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You guys hatching these? How about a picture or two or three? I put my back out a week ago and am bored to friggin' death here!!

SAVE ME!!!!!

If you bought the speedball make sure you don't put it together until you get your new parts if needed for one set of the transistors. If they are shiny and say Korea on them don't use them. Replacements should be on the way.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    36tisqokw6ix.jpg
    I haven't got any free time to do the soldering yet, LOL working to much OT all mandatory...

question about solder? 60/40 resin core? or Cardas ? what do you recommend as I new to all this! so taking my time too and I got a Hakko FX-888D and wonder what temp is best to set it to?

• ALL212
    Options
    Ahhhh.....bless you my son.....

Cardas - that quad eutectic stuff - works wonders!

Don't buy the lead free stuff its total crap and won't flow right under any circumstances. Still can't figure out why anyone would use it - I'm not going to be licking that circuit! Solder with too much silver in it is also a pain to use - the temp has to be extra high and that will cause issues also.

I run my unfancy solder gun at 4 out of 5 for this kit. Back it off a bit when you get to the tiny diodes in the socket and the speedball doesn't need that kind of heat either. I've found that higher heat for less time beats "cooking" the crap out of something at low heat.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire