Bottlehead Crack

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Good job...nice and clean.
    Now I wanna see your big @ss crack!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited May 2015
    B.A.C. will be a bit. I think next weekend I get the o'scope out and start comparing some wave forms on these.

1st most apparent difference is SLAM! Bass is much better on the modded Crack (then again is a couple of hours on the stock one for burn in really fair?)

For those of you about to CRACK... I've overheated two power switches and one headphone jack out of the BH kits while soldering so go easy when working with those components. Easy to replace but you either have to get your own (cheap and fast) or wait for BH to ship new ones (free but slow).
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    ALL212 wrote: »
    For those of you about to CRACK... I've overheated two power switches and one headphone jack out of the BH kits while soldering so go easy when working with those components. Easy to replace but you either have to get your own (cheap and fast) or wait for BH to ship new ones (free but slow).

Thanks for the heads up! How were you able to identify that the switches and jack were fried? Was it after completed and the meter readings didn't line up or did they just not work?
  • ALL212
    Power switches - they might not move once they've been overheated but the jack I didn't find out about until readings didn't line up.

Jack - there is an easy mod listed on the Bottlehead forum under the Crack for an easy change to the jack - basically cut the ground end going to the jack an extra inch longer and ground the outside pins together. Explanation on the forum.

I have part numbers from either Mouser or Digikey for a Cherry switch replacement and the headphone jack I got from...somewhere.

If you want I'll look those up.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Only if you have them at an arms reach.
    Otherwise, i looks like i need to get my read on in the BH forums.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350

For those of you about to CRACK... I've overheated two power switches and one headphone jack out of the BH kits while soldering .....

Are you still using that propane torch to solder with? ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Are you still using that propane torch to solder with? ;)

I believe he said he's upgraded to oxy-acetylene.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • ALL212
    edited May 2015
    It's not easy but I manage to use one of our plasma plate burners out in the shop. It can only do about 12" of steel at a time but if you turn it down just a little you can solder with it. It's not one of those "redo" type operations - get 'er right the first time or order another kit.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Headphone jack - this is just one model up from what is supplied: Parts Express Neutrik NMJ6HC-S 1/4" Stereo Part # 090-976

Still hunting for the power switch
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Power switch - Mouser: PN 540-LRA22H2FBBNN MFG Part No:LRA22H2FBBNN
    LRA22H2FBBNN CHERRY Rocker Switches

Both of these are drop in replacements.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    They shipped Eros phono's up to the day before I ordered mine! I'm on vaca next week! Talk to them, will you?

You got a status on this thing yet?

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer

You got a status on this thing yet?

"Eros phono preamp Orders through 5/3 shipped."

I'm 5/4.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mrbiron
    I feel your pain. "Crack orders shipped through 4/15"

Voltz and I are the 17th....Son of a!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2015
    maybe that's a Euro-style date -- the fourth day of the... umm.. fifteenth month...

sort of like
    Yeah, I'll get that to you. How does the second Tuesday of next week sound?
    ;- )

• SCompRacer
    wimpy.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    I thought of that too
  • mrbiron
    I have a tracking #!!!
    Voltz, you should as well. Check your email!

I have a "guy" who happens to be an automotive painter, of 40 years, that i know on a very "fatherly" level that has agreed to paint the plate for me as well as the top of the transformer. The problem is, it has to be the color of a car that he is painting as he will not make a special run just for me. He's got 3 colors that i have deemed acceptable. Black, Graphite, Dark Blue......i might even attempt White but i dont think im going to be too fond of it. I didn't plan this originally but i want to have fun with this one.

Either way, the creative juices are flowing like wine....
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Got my tracking #. not sure what to do with the plate yet! like the stock photo's.

Should I build the crack without the speedball 1st like the say?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrbiron
    That's my plan...start stock. Since i don't really need it, my build will take a little longer.
  • ALL212
    You don't have to but it is a bit of a pain to try and "stream" it in during the build. Can be done but you've got to read ahead to figure out what to leave out and what wires to setup ahead of time.

Easier to build without - listen and then appreciate what it does for you.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    me too, I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 and a WOO WA3 already but couldn't resist. I may let some of the others go later. and hoping I keep the Crack :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• mrbiron
    You don't have to but it is a bit of a pain to try and "stream" it in during the build. Can be done but you've got to read ahead to figure out what to leave out and what wires to setup ahead of time.

Easier to build without - listen and then appreciate what it does for you.

SOLD! I'm going to do the same with the tubes as well.
  • ALL212
    A suggestion - do read through the speedball directions to figure out what you are going to remove and after identifying those components make an effort to NOT wind them down 100 times on the terminal before soldering. Will make removal much easier!

My AF training had us make good mechanical connections before soldering. Works nice on aircraft stuff but these kits aren't going to be landing on aircraft carriers or pulling 10 G's so you don't have to go nuts securing before soldering.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Well my Crack was delivered today!

• ALL212
    is it done yet? is it done yet? is it done yet?

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    YEAH!...hurry up!
    Mine doesn't show up until today and then i gotta get my plates off to the painter.
    Thinking Black at this point.
  • voltz
    I finished it last night! then I woke up and realized I was just dreaming :(

Still trying to decide on what color to stain it and paint it :p

• voltz
    Well my Crack Box came out nice, did a little lite sanding and its all but ready to stain and then I thought maybe I should wait to finish it till after I built the thing!
    I can't decide what to paint the plate with yet!

• mhardy6647
    voltz wrote: »
    I can't decide what to paint the plate with yet!
    Rattlecan? Brush?

(ducks and runs for cover)

• voltz
    I been to the bottle head forum look at everyone's stuff and Aaron sure has a lot of pic's there :) thinking about the hammered or textured paint.