Bottlehead Crack

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    1. cats deserve good names. Yours are admirable.
    2. there's a lot to be said for stupid (as opposed to smart) cats.

11996509515_850011b9e3_z.jpgthreeamigos by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

From back to front:

Zappa (good name, stupid cat)
    Harpo (good name, smart cat, evil cat)
    Timmy (bad name, neutrally intelligent cat, good cat)

(an archival photo)

Another archival photo: Harpo with his evil minions.

11947100234_f00baedf99_b.jpgDSCN6268 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Harpo was my son's girlfriend's cat -- due to her housing situation in college, Harpo lived at our house for two years..., our cats and our furniture still bear stigmata from his time with us ;- )

OK, back to Crack!

... and I still need to build my Quickie! :- (

oh -- and did I ever mention that I have an unbuilt, NIB Bottlehead Foreplay "I" in a box downstairs? It's a sort of long story...
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    So, how much you want for that dusty, old, forgotten, Foreplay that's wasting away in the basement? :)
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    it is by definition not forgotten ;- )
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I'll build both for you :D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mmmm -- now that's tempting... :- )

Of course, the irony is -- I love building the stuff; I just have a tendency to put off getting started. I think there's a name for that... I'll look it up... sometime later...

;- )
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited May 2015
    Options
    We kept Jasper’s name after we adopted him. He is a character. Lots of extremes with this one. Loves ambush attacks late at night with the lights out. Loves to kill spiders and flies, and eat them. Loves to sleep next to us. Except at 4AM when he thinks it’s time for you to get up.

https://youtu.be/Jrq03XENSdY

Thanks for the kind words mrbiron! I was thinking maybe stick it in a Lansing chassis like this Coronet 2 I built. But for some reason the wood is appealing….a Bottlehead trademark. I had no issues with Aarons Reduction by my gear in the wood case. My SUT (step up transformer) is very particular about placement though.

h23.jpg

IMG_0222_zpsbulzmsof.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    One more little thread digression -- I just want to say that Jasper, in my estimation, is an absolutely excellent cat name.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Build the SUT inside the Eros!!

(had to offset all this cat talk with a dog picture - meet Otis!)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mmmm -- now that's tempting... :- )

Of course, the irony is -- I love building the stuff; I just have a tendency to put off getting started. I think there's a name for that... I'll look it up... sometime later...

;- )

Wanna join the procrastinators club? Meetings every Wednesday 7 PM sharp.

honor_societies.png
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Build the SUT inside the Eros!!

(had to offset all this cat talk with a dog picture - meet Otis!)

Hey Otis! Great name. SUT inside is an invite for noise! Have to be shielded with lead or some darn thing.

I'll raise you a cat picture!

ksa250_jasper_2.jpg

All mr hardy needs are some of these!

RoundTuit.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Pot the SUT - just pour lead over it. Damn, I have great ideas! B)

Wanna join or not? Nee an answer silly man lol.

If you don't join you won't be a member! If you do join you will be a member!

See post above the quote for explanation.

Rich - I scrolled part way down and stopped where I had your picture cut off - just saw Jaspers ears and only if I looked close. Thought maybe you finally lost it and were referring to your Krell as a cat! :D
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Wanna join or not? Nee an answer silly man lol.

If you don't join you won't be a member! If you do join you will be a member!

This fellow gets it! :- )

Remember the Tautology Club's motto: It is what it is. :- )

Otis would be a great pet name for pretty much any mammal, by the way...

• ALL212
    Options
    Got a present from Bottlehead today!
    lh4rbyrg6ask.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Heh -- that's sort of what I was thinking; but I couldn't come up with a pithy way to say it. Nicely played!

PS:

Hey mrbiron, looky what's in the background behind the OB (with a pair of RCA branded, Dutch-made 6DJ8s in it)... :- )

17298822549_8b3d770bd1_b.jpgDSC_0365 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Mu bay-bee!!!
    Tube rolling helping at all??
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I -- ahem -- thought it sounded pretty OK with the Rooskie tubes (looks down at ground, hands in pocket, and shuffles feet...)

Here's the funny thing -- I put in the 6DJ8s and the preamp seemed to lose a considerable amount of gain. Like the Seduction, the Reduction seems kinda short on gain in the first place (I've got it hooked to the b&o TX-2/MMC-4 MI cartridge, as I had done with the Bugle 2). So, I looked up the Rooskie tube, 6Н23П, to see if it was any different than the ECC88/6922/7308/6DJ8... but it seems to be "identical" (or I am missing something).

But - truth be told - I've been busier working on the garden (and, heavy sigh, working at my little consulting business, which is, for the moment, a little busier than optimal for a lazy mo'fo like me) to have done much (OK, I'll be honest, any) further experimentation with other tubes :-P

• ALL212
    Options
    Might be tubes that are on the last leg of their useable existence?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'd be pissed if someone dismantled my gift before giving it to me. Those ****!

I've asked Doc to open and clean your tubes for you before he ships the kit. It's just the nice kinda guy I am... >:)

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Might be tubes that are on the last leg of their useable existence?
    Which, the 6DJ8s? They are brand new (NOS), bought years ago from www.tubesandmore.com

• ALL212
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just a question - as they age they lose their magic. If yours were NOS they should be fine.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    No magic, just electrons boiling off a cathode and attracted to an anode (plate), with a little ol' grid (or two or three) in between to control the flow. And a little Miller capacitance.

OK, yeah, a little magic too... but far (far!) more robust than many folks seem to think today. Small signal tubes like these should last thousands of hours. Audio isn't nearly as critical/demanding as, e.g., UHF radio or NTSC analog color television was...
  • ALL212
    Options
    Day 1:
    Polished the bell and painted the transformer. I like the shiny black stuff that you can use on a grill - high temp. I have found that the super high temp (1200 degree) just doesn't dry right.

The wood base is a left over from either the Reduction or S.E.X. Works nice for this as you can get your fingers around the plate and get 'er out of there to put the screws to it.

ljyetuh6tow1.jpg

Da bottom:
    2n3sb4il5h5i.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Your atomic clock is numbered incorrectly! ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    It is a left handed clock.
  • ALL212
    Options
    MOMMY! Those mean boys are picking on me again!!!! :'(

Hurumph...that'll teach ya! :p

o:)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    Oh, forgot, it's Aaron time! lol
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2015
    Options
    They shipped Eros phono's up to the day before I ordered mine! I'm on vaca next week! Talk to them, will you?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    speaking of clocks -- I want one of these Tautology Clocks...

funny-clock-creative-design-hands.jpg
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Day 1:
    Polished the bell and painted the transformer. I like the shiny black stuff that you can use on a grill - high temp. I have found that the super high temp (1200 degree) just doesn't dry right.

The wood base is a left over from either the Reduction or S.E.X. Works nice for this as you can get your fingers around the plate and get 'er out of there to put the screws to it.

ljyetuh6tow1.jpg

Da bottom:
    2n3sb4il5h5i.jpg

I will trade ya mine when it gets here :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ALL212
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Damn thing built itself...now what fun is that!?? :s

6ls1f141vlgt.jpg

th_Crack%20Build_zpsttp1nama.mp4
    Post edited by ALL212 on
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire