Bottlehead Crack

Comments

• ALL212ALL212 Posts: 570
    The last modification...or is it? :o

Could get the volume from 6 to 9 but that was it. Higher than 9 and my ears were bleeding. I tried some 1/4 watt resistors for 20db of attenuation but that was too much. This setup is closer to 10db. I can swing the volume past 3 now and depending on the recording level a bit past that. Dropping down to 7 or 8 db would probably be better but this works. One of them is a 51k ohm, the other a 56k ohm.

These are Takman REY 1 watt metal film resistors. The leads are heavy enough to use as solder points. In order to get all that ground wire in I used a heavy lead from some component and made a ground "post" from left to right channel.

I'm not sure if it's because this is breaking in or because of this mod but I feel the bass came up a bit. It's nice.

Overall the sound is the best I have here. I can have headphones on for hours, no fatigue. Soundstage is amazing.

s9igbh7o8zsl.jpg
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,135
    What's left to upgrade?
    I really hate to let this thread just soak so ....

I just ordered the Mainline. Could be a Crack for sale in the next couple of months!
    Whoa big dog!
    You selling the crack or BAC? ;)
    The highly modded CRACK. The BAC is mine for life! Well...unless the Mainline blows my skirt up. Now...go ahead and get that image out of your head!!!!
    I've never met you but i imagine you're a 26yo hot brunette so that works for me!
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,382
    I think a lot of people would be standing in line if you choose to sell your Bottlehead!

At first I used the other word...but I offended myself so bad I had to erase it.
    He's not a CRACK dealer if that's what you weRe implying :D
    This does put me in a awkward position (so to speak) when attempting to sell this thing doesn't it?!! :#

I'll post here when I've made a decision on whether to sell and what price. I'll probably give the RAS guys a first shot, then post here, then put it up for sale if no one wants it.
  • halohalo Posts: 3,513
    I'll be at Axpona on Sunday with my brother and my wife. Looking forward to it. Sorry that I'm going to miss you and the IL group. It's been way too long.
    I'll be there on Friday, probably Saturday, not sure about Sunday. Probably be wearing a Bottlehead hat - if you spot me - say "Hey!".
    Just a hat?
    You're one of the top "sponsors" of Bottlehead. You should wear the Crack on your head.
    I'm in a wheelchair. Pretty easy to spot :smile:
    edited July 2016
    Ok...Crackheads...

I'm on the fence here about selling my ....ah.... 1st Bottlehead Headphone amp - aka ....the Crack.

It won't go cheap - there's a pile of premium stuff in this thing. Crack kit with Speedball goes for $415 as a pile of parts. I'd probably want about $650 for it and that is just kit + parts and the box, roughly my cost (labor is free). Shipping would be on the purchaser.

Here's my issue. If you purchase it and something goes wrong Bottlehead probably won't take it and fix it. It's way past customized. You'd probably have to send it back to me if the issue couldn't be figured out via email. And there is no guarantee I could fix it either depending on issue without more cost. I'd probably offer a 90 day warranty but after that it would be "your problem". The hard part is not knowing what the purchaser has done to it - or won't admit to have done to it.

Having said all that - It's still not for sale but based on this would there be anyone interested? Is this "deal" too restrictive?

Yes, I'm fishing, but I'd like to work out details before it goes to the yard sale here.
    Mine is covered in dust.....which means I don't need another.

Headfi seems like a good place.....
    I think it is a steal at that price Aaron, if I didnt have many head-phones including a crack I built I be interested.

It would be awesome for any 300 ohm headphones user's with Sennheisers :)
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,365
    edited July 2016
    For you Bottlehead types, Eros $150 off through July 31! $599, now that's a deal. Aaron, time to buy! Oh, and $50 off the Crack.

http://bottlehead.com/?product=eros-phono-preamplifier-kit

eros_phono_preamp1.jpg
    Don't you know, Arron is out of the Crack game. He went for the harder stuff. IE, he's now Mainlining...
    B) I dood it... I dood it!!!

On to Eros!

>:)
    Rich you could sell me yours and build another one ;)
    *waves hand at voltz* That is not the phono preamp you're looking for...

You need an ALL212 built Reduction with Integration upgrade. Give it a couple months.

I can justify having a bunch of headphone amps. Really going to be hard to justify having two phono pre's for 1 TT.
    Not if you buy a 2nd TT.
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Not if you buy a 2nd TT.

LOL...that's not helping... :p
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,204
    ALL212 wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Not if you buy a 2nd TT.

LOL...that's not helping... :p

Depends on your definition of "helping" :smile:
    voltz wrote: »

With or without the base? Oh wait, then I'd have to start over.... : 0
    So, this is a phono pre?
    edited July 2016
    halo wrote: »
    So, this is a phono pre?

The Crack is headphone, the Eros and mentioned Reduction with Integration upgrade are phono pre amps. This is my Eros with upgraded aftermarket Wisconsin grown crotch walnut base. From Arron's pops property. It sounds wunnerful....and the walnut with hand rubbed Tung oil finish changes with different lighting. Never get tired of looking at it. It has some fine tubes in it.

bh_eros_13a.jpg

bh_eros_10.jpg

This was my first attempt at making base...a song from the Ohio players comes to mind...;)

eros_funny.jpg
    edited July 2016
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    halo wrote: »
    So, this is a phono pre?

The Crack is headphone, the Eros and mentioned Reduction with Integration upgrade are phono pre amps. This is my Eros with upgraded aftermarket Wisconsin grown crotch walnut base. From Arron's pops property. It sounds wunnerful....and the walnut with hand rubbed Tung oil finish changes with different lighting. Never get tired of looking at it. It has some fine tubes in it.

bh_eros_13a.jpg

I remember the last Eros you owned (because I owned them too!)...

eros_zpsi6up2qbm.jpeg

372_5_big_zpskpsn7q6c.jpg

:)

Not for nothing but that walnut base is beautiful
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    voltz wrote: »

With or without the base? Oh wait, then I'd have to start over.... : 0

You know your base is almost priceless! Fantastic job on it KUDOS!!
    edited August 2016
    Aaron

if you do think about building a Eros I will probably be interested in your phono amp :)

Now i really like my Vincent one I currently use, but for my full range speakers setup with Omega 7 speakers i have a dared monoblocks and dared tube preamp that would like your phono amp. plus I may someday want to replace with Bottlehead monoblocks and/or integrated amp and then again the bottle phono amp would be a nice secondary setup :)

my goal being DIY speakers i already made + DIY amp + DIY preamp + DIY Phono amp!