Bottlehead Crack

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    I have extra volume pots here that I will ship you - you just pay shipping. They are the ones that Bottlehead uses in their current production units. Looks like the same knobs so I'd guess the shaft size is the same so the knobs should fit. I'm not sure what size the cutout in the plate is, not sure if it has the hole for the positioning tab will be correct.
    The only volume pot that I've used that is economical and works very well is the Alps. The issue is that the solder points are very tiny. I'm a pretty decent solder monkey and I hate working with those Alps pots.
    Your best bet is to cruse on over to the Bottlehead forum and ask that bunch. The guys that designed that unit are still there and can give you very good advice. The community there is wonderful and you may find someone there who has done exactly what you want to do with this unit.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Hmmm - excellent thank you! I will check in with the Bottlehead forum.

Do you think the current production volume pots would be an improvement over the ones the stepped attenuator replaced? Very generous offer - I appreciate it.

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• ALL212
    These current ones are not steppers. They are the old style swipers in a can. The cost is reasonable! Whether they sound better or worse I can't tell you. I do know you won't get any noise as you change volume. I'd still check in with the BH crew and ask what they would recommend. If you do want these - they are the stereo pots so they have 6 connectors each - 2 layers. Just use one layer per side, they'll work just fine.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited January 2016
    MrBuhl wrote: »

WIll Do! Listening to that bad boy right now! For the money, it's shockingly good.

That's a nice build. Auricaps are very good reasonably priced caps. I used them in a project once upon a time.

Bottlehead is short on cost, long on sound quality. ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    HEY RICHY!!! Going to Axpona this year?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2016
    Hey Aaron! Yes! Carl, Dan and Ed Savinon the SRT Speaker King are threatening to show up again too.

I have to get cracking on my new turntable!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    Sweet! If you don't mind me tagging along again let me know which day you guys are going. I've got the three day pass so anything will work.

Ya...did you get the wood? I've lost track.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2016
    Tagging? You can take the lead! Maybe Doug can make it too. Like last time, we will probably do all day Friday and chill at my place Saturday. Whine, I mean wine, brew and tunes. Dan is quite the wine connoisseur. He and Dana get into that wine tasting thing, share favorites. Dan usually goes back to the show Sunday before flying out.

Yes, I have wood! No time though...finished Carl's Amanaero USB module with the Hermes Cronus today so maybe...

ptp5_04.jpg
  • ALL212
    1st burn - failed as the power connector cutout didn't fall through. 1st delay and that box on the left is that thing picking out the proper head for this material.

th_Burner1_zps1ahxliz6.mp4
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    ALL212 wrote: »
    On to further Crack changes - get the 6.3v adapter from the Lowther_Club (didn't find it on dbay or fbay...something in between) to go from the 12AU7 to a 6SN7. It'll take three or four weeks to get here from China but it works perfectly. Don't forget to get a 6SN7 tube from somewhere also.

Horry bratcrap! Nice....very very nice!

Do you mean....if I got the speedball mod then I can just drop this adapter in the tube socket and play with 6SN7 tubes?
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• ALL212
    dhart86 wrote: »
    On to further Crack changes - get the 6.3v adapter from the Lowther_Club (didn't find it on dbay or fbay...something in between) to go from the 12AU7 to a 6SN7. It'll take three or four weeks to get here from China but it works perfectly. Don't forget to get a 6SN7 tube from somewhere also.

Horry bratcrap! Nice....very very nice!

Do you mean....if I got the speedball mod then I can just drop this adapter in the tube socket and play with 6SN7 tubes?

Wee Wee! Just insure you get the 6.3 volt version. I have a 12v version - no worky.

Lother is the all black one. The other one is also from Epray and appears to work just as well but it has an "ugly" factor about it.

ylgpy2ayr40y.jpg

7sbdtcjb7s73.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Hmmm - excellent thank you! I will check in with the Bottlehead forum.

Do you think the current production volume pots would be an improvement over the ones the stepped attenuator replaced? Very generous offer - I appreciate it.

Here's the difference between connections on the new stock pots and a used Alps.

9y7c02363lm2.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer

Here's the difference between connections on the new stock pots and a used Alps.

Technically, a ring terminal potentiometer versus a pcb board mount potentiometer that something bit the shaft end off.... :smiley:
  • ALL212
    edited January 2016
    everyone's a critic... ;) I bend the ends over so I can keep the wires on while soldering... and I was hungry.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    A commonalityI bent the ends over to solder U.fl connectors to!

female_header_mod_1.jpg
    female_header_mod_2.jpg
  • ALL212
    Da BAC plate is painted... BEWARE THE BAC!!!

jxyo6h9pwkd0.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Some intelligent individual made sure to remind me to scrape some of the paint off at grounding locations. I suggest this to you.

Nice choice with the black ;)
    Does it have some sort of sparkle/fleck to it or is it just the pic?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ALL212
    I gots a new "trick". It's hard to paint stuff in the winter and get it to dry. Some of these nutcases put their stuff in a toaster to cure it. I have one of those oil filled radiator style room heaters. So I heat the plate by laying it on top of that heater and I'm using the hammered finish paint - for some reason the heat just give it a nice matte finish and still leaves a shine. Paint and heat....paint and heat. I only painted one side so I should be ok with the ground.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Nice! I use oxy/acet torch to dry wet paint!

No need to scrape or spotface! Use star washers!

Int-ExtStarLWshrs.gif
  • ALL212
    Crack ****...

Wiring to start today.

4igiut4klixi.jpg

f05x7y34trx6.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Dems black sockets is shweeeeeet!!!
    Transformer cover?
    Explain the two snare drums by the power socket.
  • ALL212
    Transformer cover is hammered copper paint cured with heat.

Snare drums are Cap1 and Cap2 - just bigguns. I'll tip 'em with some film underneath. Cap3 is the big 220uf Solen film cap.

The blue tape is holding the screws for mounting the choke - I planned a bit tight without needing to.

And those black sockets - damn....everyone should use those! :wink:
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Transformer cover is hammered copper paint cured with heat.

Snare drums are Cap1 and Cap2 - just bigguns. I'll tip 'em with some film underneath. Cap3 is the big 220uf Solen film cap.

The blue tape is holding the screws for mounting the choke - I planned a bit tight without needing to.

And those black sockets - damn....everyone should use those! :wink:

Cool. My phone made it look stock silverish.
    I think your the only one crazy enough to even try black sockets...... :|

What's with that headphone jack?. Just decorative? Massive...
  • ALL212
    Bling....had that thing with the holes in it sitting around here for years. It fits. That's just a Neutrik jack so it really has nothing to do with the jack at all.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    I thought it was another tube socket. ;)
  • ALL212
    Enough for one day...

gao1xx1nufrk.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Nice look! Love the on/off switch!

That thing with holes....I'm wondering if an RC car in da hood is missing a wheel. :D
  • ALL212
    It's cryin' time...

Down to pretty much the last 4 solder points before testing (speedball to wait until this test ok). I'm reusing the big blue Clarity caps from Crack #1. Lead for the cap breaks off...CRAP!! Flexed too many times. But... if that had happened after I had it done - CRAP x2!!! So, I've reordered... gotta wait...again.

Until then - Crack ****..

volume and bling painted to match the xformer cover. Not sure I like it but it'll do.

50f8m3sdjudl.jpg

Bottom - prior to output caps. That black square stuff is just sound damping material. Takes some of the boing out of it.

0o9475lcdpnh.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Well....in my angst and disappointment over the cap failure I forgot I had the original caps to test with. So... IT FRICKIN' WORKS!!!! Maybe I shouldn't sound so surprised...
    Had some very strange voltage readings on initial power up....then I put the tubes in and they dropped to normal. JEEZ!!!

DSC_3781_zpserkqbd0m.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Shweeeet
    You need to make a bronze badge of yourself.

Well??....how's she sound and what can are you using?