Marantz CDP's

Options
smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,460
I "was" going to upgrade my SDA 2A crossovers but now my NAD C542 is starting to really give me fits. It took me 20 minutes today to get it to play anything. About the only thing I didn't do was hit it with a hammer.

So..., a new CDP is going to take major priority at this point.

I've been researching CDP's in my price range and my search always kept going back to the Marantz line. I've looked at the NAD line since I like the way it sounds but that's when it works. After a year of owning it I started to have little issues but kept it going all these years. In short NAD is out.

The question - Looking at the CD6004, 5005 & 6005 I'm not sure which would be better as sound quality goes. I know everything is subjective, however. I don't use usb anything, it would be mainly used as a CDP, at least for the foreseeable future. My main question, is the build quality of the 6005 worth the extra cost over the other two? Like I said, I don't care for the usb port or the digital inputs but I do want better internals (who doesn't right?). I'll probably get a refurbished unit.

Has anyone here owned possibly all three to give me any insights? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I own a CD6005 and I have been very please with the sound quality. Is it any better that the other two mentioned, I doubt much if any. If you are on a budget it is a good machine too consider.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Id seriously consider the streaming option before dropping money on a dedicated cdp.

You sir don't get it.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Having a large collection of CD's a cdp player is necessary got a Marantz CD 5003, and a Marantz CD 5004 great bang for the buck players, you will be happy with any of those you mentioned one of these days I will get the Marantz SACD player. As far as streaming also a good Idea, but for the price of those Marantz players your talking about a good investment.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • smglbrth
    Options
    This place can be funny at times...

A plain example when comparing the 5005 & 6005. Some websites say the 5005 has the same DAC as the 6005, other don't. Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not. Some also mention the better power supply/capacitors for the 6005. Are they the same for the 5005? Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not. I hate it when there's conflicting information on various components on the web. I mean, someone has to be wrong, right?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    If your going to stick with spinning discs, get the best disc spinner you can afford. If the 6005 is in your budget, grab it. Yes, it makes a difference.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    I have the 6004 and it has worked great for me. I was suffering from upgraditis when I got it to replace my older yamaha that was at least fifteen years old and skipping.
    So far it has played everything I have thrown at it including burnt cd's. I cant comment on the sound quality because I don't really have an ear for what is really good, just can tell if something is sounding junky. I found the yamaha a little 'warmer' sounding than the marantz.
    I got the marantz as B stock from gibbyelectronics in Ontario. It is a nice looking piece and the power cable is much thicker than any of my other components.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    If you look on the Marantz site you can best see the differences between the CD5005 and CD6005. It seems that elsewhere the reporting of differences is a bit overblown. The CD6005 has a front panel USB port that is iPhone compabile. The CD5005 has pitch control which allows a user to vary the speed of playback on a CD or PCM file, which is supposed to be something a musician may want to have. Except for those things the two are the same. Both have a discrete headphone amp section and use the same DAC. If buying one for CD playback only I'd go with the CD5005.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I have a old NAD 5440 that isn't doing anything. If you want something to tide you over for a while PM me.
  • smglbrth
    Options
    Maybe someone should tell Marantz to update their website. It says the 5005 has the same DAC as the 6005 but in the specifications section it says a different DAC, duh...

Thanks for the offer red - Hopefully the next time it will work with little effort or it might stop altogether, who knows at this point. I don't get a ton of time to listen to music but when I do all bets are off. Playing with a CDP for some of that time irritates the s**t out of me...
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    I have the CD5004 and have been quite pleased with it. I paid around $300 new last year. If you are looking for a "basic" cd player, it may be worth a look.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Maybe someone should tell Marantz to update their website. It says the 5005 has the same DAC as the 6005 but in the specifications section it says a different DAC, duh....

Yes, looks like that's a typo that carried over from the spec sheet for the CD5004 which used the CS4392 DAC. The owner's manual also says the CD5005 uses the newer CS4398 DAC, which is also used in the SA8005 model and the CD6005, and Marantz's description of the CD5005 says it uses the slightly newer DAC chip. The CS4398 DAC has been around since 2003 though. It has a slightly higher dynamic range and lower distortion level than the CS4392 and better capabilities with high resolution audio, but probably not enough for most users to tell the difference in real world use with a CD player.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Id seriously consider the streaming option before dropping money on a dedicated cdp.

Couldn't agree more for many reasons: 1)Many newer BluRay players support streaming/HDD attachment. 2)You could always stick with spinning the disc if you want to. 3)There's a smoothness to the music that comes from being sourced via hard drive that I've never been able to match with a CDP. 4)Having the swiss army knife universal playback of the right BR player can kill alot of birds with 1 stone.

I know you "think" you'll never computerize your music...I did to...but once you experience the convenience of your entire library at the click of a remote, it's pretty hard to ignore.

Think about it....

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Rick, your TEAC looks suprisingly similar to a C.E.C. CD-3300 I have in storage.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    for anyone who is set on getting a CDP I say Rick's Teac is the WTG!

But Steve & Skip make a lot of sense for a lot of people!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    Options
    I'm on my second marantz player. The first was an 8260, then I sold it to get a BDP / Combo and am on the 7006. Great player, does SACD, budget friendly. I will say however that there is a VERY noticeable difference when feeding the signal into my hegel dac vs just straight to pre. The player has been very reliable for about 3 years now, plays anything I put into it. The back plate is also very versatile with 7.1 analog out.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Rick, can you comment on the reported 2-3 second pause or gap between tracks on SACD playback?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• smglbrth
    Options
    The Teac looks like a sweet machine. I like nice and simple as well. I don't have any SACD's however, and never got into that format.

Steve - Wow, you still have that C.E.C.? I remember when you purchased that 'cause I was looking at them too when I bought the NAD. Better keep it in storage and pull it out every once in a while. Who knows, it might be worth something someday!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Thanks Rick, I look forward to your report.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Hmmm....I wonder why it was designed that way?
    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

LOL

Thanks for checking it out.

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Hey Rick I had considered one of these Teacs what about the tray not opening up very far is that a non issue, those two issues on Amazon reviews that I read lead me to wait and get a Marantz SACD player do you consider these non issues? It looks like a very nice player for sure their new turntable looks like a nice one also.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1nut
    Options
    I don't recall ever having a disc player where the disc was 100% exposed when the tray was open. Non-factor, IMO.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Is the gap between tracks there on live discs or something like Dark Side of the Moon where tracks are supposed to play seamlessly?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    If I had known about the Teac I would have bought it over the Marantz SA8005 because of the $$ difference, but having bought & used the Marantz a lot I would have to say that I love it and its DAC and I am glad I did get one!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Do you have dark side of the moon? That would be a good test.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Steve - Wow, you still have that C.E.C.? I remember when you purchased that 'cause I was looking at them too when I bought the NAD. Better keep it in storage and pull it out every once in a while. Who knows, it might be worth something someday!

Yessir, she's too pretty to sell, and the AES/EBU dig/analog OUTs are a rarity for a CD player.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Ya know Steve, you should dust off that puppy and put it back in the system for a week or so. I used to do that with my cdp just to gage how the digital side was progressing.....or not progressing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ya know Steve, you should dust off that puppy and put it back in the system for a week or so. I used to do that with my cdp just to gage how the digital side was progressing.....or not progressing.

I have in the past, just love that player but digital seems to have the slightest of edge in smoothness; not to mention a serious convenience factor. Just can't bring myself to sell it. It's literally in "like new" condition. This player really shines when the XLR dig out is used with a DAC that has a XLR dig input. Later version Benchmark DACs dropped the XLR dig input.