lsim 705 vs lsim 707 differences?

124»

Comments

• damnusernames
    damnusernames Posts: 84
    edited October 2015
    tonyb wrote: »
    [
    Well, thank you! I am considering other options right now. Like I posted earlier, high end Polk are though to find and support here..

Huh.....the LSIM's are Polks top speakers and well supported.

The Golden ears.....hit or miss, some like them some don't. Best to get your ears on them before dropping the coinage.

With all due respect, I know they are polk's top speakers and they are NOT well supported here.

It is impossible to find lsim series within 600 miles from an authorized dealer. I originally purchased mine from, now closed, Futureshop stores. Best buy does not have any high end stuff here (Canada).

I have to add that the "find dealer" function of Polk's site is not working very well outside of usa (for me at least, using firefox and edge). Ok.... it just does not work at all...

Also, it not possible for me to buy from Polk usa and have the lsim delivered to my place. (example through ebay "cannot be delivered to your adress" or something like that)

Also, when I had my first pair of lsim 705 ( I had two pairs, only one speaker working properly in the lot, very much likely not polk's fault), I was told to drive them to a shop located 200 miles + for diagnostic THEN repair so total 800 miles + drive for fixing a big 80 pounds speaker, very akward to have to take these there myself.

I add again, that I had the chance to live somewhat close to the "official polk's repair place" otherwise in my province it could have been up to a whopping 600 miles drive one way to have them fixed under warranty.

So as much as I like what I had in hands (lsim 705), and was open-minded to your very kind suggestions about selling my yamaha s-2000 amp and more, polk's speakers are now off the list for me.

Not because I don't like them, because the lsim series are impossible to find here and the repair procedure under warranty is sub-par big time.<

That is what I meant by "not well supported"

Kindly

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    tonyb wrote: »
    [
    Well, thank you! I am considering other options right now. Like I posted earlier, high end Polk are though to find and support here..

Huh.....the LSIM's are Polks top speakers and well supported.

The Golden ears.....hit or miss, some like them some don't. Best to get your ears on them before dropping the coinage.

With all due respect, I know they are polk's top speakers and they are NOT well supported here.

It is impossible to find lsim series within 600 miles from an authorized dealer. I originally purchased mine from, now closed, Futureshop stores. Best buy does not have any high end stuff here (Canada).

I have to add that the "find dealer" function of Polk's site is not working very well outside of usa (for me at least, using firefox and edge). Ok.... it just does not work at all...

Also, it not possible for me to buy from Polk usa and have the lsim delivered to my place. (example through ebay "cannot be delivered to your adress" or something like that)

Also, when I had my first pair of lsim 705 ( I had two pairs, only one speaker working properly in the lot, very much likely not polk's fault), I was told to drive them to a shop located 200 miles + for diagnostic THEN repair so total 800 miles + drive for fixing a big 80 pounds speaker, very akward to have to take these there myself.

I add again, that I had the chance to live somewhat close to the "official polk's repair place" otherwise in my province it could have been up to a whopping 600 miles drive one way to have them fixed under warranty.

So as much as I like what I had in hands (lsim 705), and was open-minded to your very kind suggestions about selling my yamaha s-2000 amp and more, polk's speakers are now off the list for me.

Not because I don't like them, because the lsim series are impossible to find here and the repair procedure under warranty is sub-par big time.<

That is what I meant by "not well supported"

Kindly

Gibbys electronics carries them. Visions electronics can order any lsim you want (had mine in less than a week). The warranty process is a little painful up here, but if you talk to Walter moser for polkies in the east, and Todd Ross for polkies in the west, you get pretty decent service and parts in less than a week. It all depends on how you go about it. Todd even delivered my 705's to my House and helped me unpack. I've ordered numerous parts through Walter moser, and have had replacement parts in a very timely manner. Yes we don't get as quick of service as our us neighbors, but the Canadian Polk reps sure do their best. Maybe you are talking to the wrong people. But if you didn't like the lsim then that's fine too. I hope you find a speaker that fits you!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Gotcha man, but really....anything made and sold mainly outside of Canada isn't going to be as well supported as those things made and sold inside Canada. Nothing new there and most Canucks are used to that by now.

Even though Polk has a presence up there, it's nothing like it is down here, which Polk always does their best regardless when it comes to customer service. I wouldn't write them off so easily, and Ken would be happy to supply you with Polks reps up there. The LSIM's are worth a listen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • soundy
    soundy Posts: 10
    Wow, this is an old thread but it was impressive reading damnusernames' troubles with 705 and the extended civilized discussion. I ran into the thread searching for answers to my own 705 problem, namely apparent distortion in the upper midrange area (maybe ~2-3 kHz), particularly with some classical piano pieces and certain notes. It isn't as noticeable with pop music, male voice and other instruments. For a while, I doubted it was the speaker issue given that I don't hear the annoying buzzing with Chopin's piano with much cheaper speakers. But it was there with my 705 at mid-high volume.

But after some research, seeing a good number of similar issues with 705 midrange or tweeter troubles, after my testing with high-quality audio files, I'm inclined to think either my 705 midrange is semi-broken or it is just the way it is, edgy with certain frequencies at mid-high volume but I just didn't pay particular attention or played those kinds of music extensively to reveal the issue. This noise is only audibly clear when standing close to the speakers. By the way, the speakers are almost dead silent in background noise when nothing is playing, when I turned up the volume way high.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with my 705 of a few years old. I talked with Polk but I'm not certain what to do about it yet. If it is just the way the speaker is, I wouldn't go through the hassle to do anything about it, would just enjoy the good rest the 705 offers and look for a solution in my next upgrade.

I'd love to hear others who listen to more classical music, particularly piano pieces with dynamic passages with LisM 705 or 707. Do you often hear buzzing, ringing, .. sort of noise when the piano hits hard at certain notes?

==========
    Here is what I got to power 705
    Yamaha RX-A2040 preouts to Parasound 5250 for front, side and rear (four LsiM 720s)
    four SVS SB-2000 for bass (enough bass for me!)

In my testing, I tried Pure Direct, Straight, Stereo modes, and others. It made no real difference to the noise.

• mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited May 2017
    Wow, old thread... I played some Chopin Polonase's no midrange buzzing from a new pair of 707. The pair are in a break-in period and playing a variety of different music from classical, jazz to electronic and pop.

My pair are from the same lot 3103163 and SN ends in 936 and 982. So far so good thankfully.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • tonyb
    soundy wrote: »
    Wow, this is an old thread but it was impressive reading damnusernames' troubles with 705 and the extended civilized discussion. I ran into the thread searching for answers to my own 705 problem, namely apparent distortion in the upper midrange area (maybe ~2-3 kHz), particularly with some classical piano pieces and certain notes. It isn't as noticeable with pop music, male voice and other instruments. For a while, I doubted it was the speaker issue given that I don't hear the annoying buzzing with Chopin's piano with much cheaper speakers. But it was there with my 705 at mid-high volume.

But after some research, seeing a good number of similar issues with 705 midrange or tweeter troubles, after my testing with high-quality audio files, I'm inclined to think either my 705 midrange is semi-broken or it is just the way it is, edgy with certain frequencies at mid-high volume but I just didn't pay particular attention or played those kinds of music extensively to reveal the issue. This noise is only audibly clear when standing close to the speakers. By the way, the speakers are almost dead silent in background noise when nothing is playing, when I turned up the volume way high.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with my 705 of a few years old. I talked with Polk but I'm not certain what to do about it yet. If it is just the way the speaker is, I wouldn't go through the hassle to do anything about it, would just enjoy the good rest the 705 offers and look for a solution in my next upgrade.

I'd love to hear others who listen to more classical music, particularly piano pieces with dynamic passages with LisM 705 or 707. Do you often hear buzzing, ringing, .. sort of noise when the piano hits hard at certain notes?

==========
    Here is what I got to power 705
    Yamaha RX-A2040 preouts to Parasound 5250 for front, side and rear (four LsiM 720s)
    four SVS SB-2000 for bass (enough bass for me!)

In my testing, I tried Pure Direct, Straight, Stereo modes, and others. It made no real difference to the noise.

How about the cables your using, decent quality ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • soundy
    My RCA cables from the Yamaha receiver to Parasound 5250 are from blue jeans. Speaker wires are 14-gauge oxygen free. I'd say they are alright.

I haven't done anything with it even though the speakers are still under warranty. The hassle involved is the deterrence for me. The annoying, muddy, unresolved buzzing in solo piano is there but not obvious when standing away from the speakers. One really has to play that kind of music and get close to speakers to really hear the problem ...

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I've had my 705's for almost a year with a few different amps and pre's and have not noticed any buzzing. Seems odd you are experiencing this. Maybe an issue with the equipment and not the speakers.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2017
    Admittedly I don't listen to any solo piano on purpose but for kicks I played some piano pieces from Spotify and when I get close to the tweeters on my 705 two channel setup I could hear some Chish type sounds in rhythm with the key tones. I thought it sounded odd but like I said I don't listen to much classical at all, so it could be typical sounds.

To test I played the same three tracks through the home theater Polks "RTI" series with the dome tweets and heard the same chish sounds. So if what I'm hearing is what you're hearing then I'd call it normal, or at least normal for Polk.
    Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    edited May 2017
    soundy wrote: »
    My RCA cables from the Yamaha receiver to Parasound 5250 are from blue jeans. Speaker wires are 14-gauge oxygen free. I'd say they are alright.

I haven't done anything with it even though the speakers are still under warranty. The hassle involved is the deterrence for me. The annoying, muddy, unresolved buzzing in solo piano is there but not obvious when standing away from the speakers. One really has to play that kind of music and get close to speakers to really hear the problem ...

I dunno man, 14 ga oxygen free sounds like Home depot cable or Monoprice. I'd use 12 ga from a better brand like Audioquest/Kimber, Morrow, and a slew of others. Reason being that cheaper cable stuff has a tendency to oxidize and usually have a less than stellar build quality to them. It may not be apparent on lessor speakers, but the better your speakers the more apparent the other short comings are in your system. Somethin' to think about anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Is it coming from one or both speakers? Do you hear it from the 3" or 5 1/4" mid driver? 707 pair I have is different with a 6 1/2" mid driver. I played other piano pieces by Brahms and Dohnanyi and didn't notice buzzing or ringing that was out of the ordinary.

Admittedly do hear more ringing from female opera singers. But I don't think that ringing is a defect, it sounds just as glass shattering as a concert but the big difference is the room sizes concert hall vs living room.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • soundy
    edited May 2017
    Both speakers have the buzzing sound. It's not really noise, just unresolved sound from the music. "ringing" or glassy sounding is another close description. I agree, it may not be a defect, .... for the money. Solo piano music is known hard to reproduce well on any speakers. At least, it's trying.

Anybody with 705 or 707, give this test a try (try piano2.wav) and let us know what you hear (ears ~2-3 ft from the top midrange). With my receiver (yamaha rx-a2040 to parasound 5250), I start to hear the buzz with volume above ~ -30dB with this test. Watch out for your ears!

http://www.kozco.com/tech/soundtests.html
  • soundy
    .. a few obvious typos in my last post. Cannot figure out how to edit a post. "... NOT really noise." "It may NOT be a defect ..."
  • soundy
    mpitogo: The buzz appears to be from the top mid driver ... if my ears were truthful.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    To edit within an hour click on the little black circle thing at the top right corner of your post.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• soundy
    Thank you F1nut! I only saw the little circle when I put the pointer near that corner. It's doing the hide & seek thing. It worked.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    A lot of things are hard to find in this Vanilla format.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk