lsim 705 vs lsim 707 differences?

Options

Comments

• damnusernames
    Options
    Thank you for your detailled inputs.

I have to admit I agree with most of you, quality is more important than number.

Thank you mantis for thoughtful insight on the matter. You have provided very good points.

F1nut, Why would I "dump the yammie" ? That seems a bit radical. It is a great amp. manufactured seriously with serious parts, by a serious cie. Everything Yamaha is doing is at least ok or better From 100k grand piano to race bikes (used to own R6) to snowblowers to several thousand $ classical guitars.

When they decided to go back to hifi, I am certain they did not create a division that sells 7000 CAN$ amps in the aim of failing miserably. Of course that is not pleasing to some audio stores which will try to convince you that yam's products are not "hifi" (whatever that means) but will provide no logical arguments to their point. anyway I am disgressing.

My point is the I am more than satisfied with this amp and almost everything I look at and listen to is just no match in terms of sound and build quality. Really this amp, for this price, is amazing.

Now, I am not saying this is the best at whatever price point, obviously not. Just that I am very satisfied of it, and before putting a close to 3 000 $ (canada is expensive) amp to the garbage like suggested, I am going to consider buying a power amp instead.
    It does a fantastic job BUT in terms of volume output WHEN matched with demanding speakers.

like I posted earlier I will follow your recommendation like I did by contacting polk and keeping faith in 705's and shop for mono's, red dragon audio sound like a very good deal.

Regarding my cables they are kpsw1010 Klipsch Palladium 10ga at 900 CAN$ a set. I don't feel like going further is going to do anything noticably better :-)

I don't mean to get in a debate about whether or not the yam is good, I am satisfied with it, true, it could be more powerful, but maybe yamaha thought that for an integrated, 100 or so watts, was a limit at which the quality would start to go noticably lower??

I don't know...but I really appreciate your knowledge.

I'd much rather end up playing my music at lower volume and good quality than the opposite.

:smiley:

• damnusernames
    Options
    Dskip, I agree with you totally about power not being everything. A formula 1 car and a freight train might have the same HP but they don't use it the same way.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I had no idea that Klipsch was in the speaker cable game.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • damnusernames
    Options
    Nightfall, they may be not so well known for their cables, but considering the seriousness of their palladium series and the specs of my cables I have nothing negative to say. They are about the size of a red bull can.

• damnusernames
    damnusernames Posts: 84
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Erased my own previous comment
  • Nightfall
    edited April 2015
    Options
    They look impressive. I don't think you'll hear anyone telling you they aren't good enough, you're at least open enough to try something beyond coat hangers on your Emotiva. ;)

Klipsch-Introduces-New-Speaker-Cables.jpg

• damnusernames
    Options
    "beyond coat hangers on your emotiva" LOL. Honestly, I don't know whether or not it makes such a difference but I know that I won't be the one who will notice if it does. the signal loss must be beyond negligible....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    F1nut, Why would I "dump the yammie" ?

Elementary, my dear damnusernames. It doesn't meet your needs. Sell it, then take that money and buy an integrated that does.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• damnusernames
    damnusernames Posts: 84
    edited April 2015
    Options
    F1nut : Oh! I see. My bad, english not being my first language I thought you meant like throw it away...which was a bit...well radical.

:-)

will consider

Now, tell me, why not just buy a power amp?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    LOL....ah yes, communication breakdown.

Well, you could add a power amp, but then you're not using the amp section of the integrated, which would be a waste of money and there's no guarantee that whatever amp you might buy will be a good match with the Yamaha.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    My point is the I am more than satisfied with this amp and almost everything I look at and listen to is just no match in terms of sound and build quality. Really this amp, for this price, is amazing.

Now, I am not saying this is the best at whatever price point, obviously not. Just that I am very satisfied of it, and before putting a close to 3 000 $ (canada is expensive) amp to the garbage like suggested, I am going to consider buying a power amp instead.
    It does a fantastic job BUT in terms of volume output WHEN matched with demanding speakers.

So you like the amp, but don't like the volume output ? The LSIM's are NOT demanding speakers. Your Yamaha should power them fine especially on 2 channel to some good volumes.

A lot of this stuff is proper gear matching or as we like to call it....synergy. You may simply find that the LSIM's aren't your cup of tea, or the combinations you have with your associated gear and cables doesn't all synergize that well.

I think that is why F1NUT was suggesting an alternative for you. Something that may synergize better with what you have. No matter how good one piece is on it's own, it's how it plays with the other members of the system that counts. For the price, the LSIM's offer a lot of speaker for the money and if something is lacking to your ears you may want to investigate other parts of your system first.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • damnusernames
    Options
    F1nut: true enough, not using the amp part of the (excellent) integrated.

tonyb: it sounds very good at normal volume. It just won't go at loud volume without audible distortion. I like the 705's very much. neutral, full, well balanced, pure. But sometimes, even though, it is not fatiguing, the treble on not-so-good recordings can be irritating. They are not very forgiving, but that is exactly what I am looking for.

• damnusernames
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Do you have any room treatments/acoustic panels? If you have a lot of hard, reflective surfaces, you are going to have a lot of excess higher frequency energy going on in the room.

interesting, no I don't have any treatments or accoustic panels. Yes, all floors are wood....

• damnusernames
    Options
    xcapri79

Could you explain why at lower resistances, a speakers is "harder" to drive. It seems very counterintuitive.

To me the lowest resistance offers the easiest way for current passage, hence it should be easier to send a given load to the driver then with higher resistance speakers/drivers.

??

• damnusernames
    Options
    But for any given current, isn't the easiest way (least resistance) the more efficient way? (i.e. the more end output and the least energy lost in heat)
  • damnusernames
    Options
    I find this very interesting!

So to "provide" a given amount of power (watt) at a higher impedance, you need lower amperage, hence a lower loss compensated by higher voltage (watts= amp X voltage), which does not influence the loss(the voltage)?

right?

I am yet struggling to understand how a current can be of low impedance? Isn't it the "way" that offers the resistance?

The current being more or so a potential differential. A current has an impendance?

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You need to study ohms law. There are so many factors here that may end up confusing you. I'm a little rusty on ohms law even though we beat this to death in automotive school. someone else may be able to explain better, It makes sense in my brain but is harder to get onto paper, umm I mean computer.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• damnusernames
    Options
    thanks, will read.

I am pretty good in maths but electricity, not so much...

:-)
  • damnusernames
    Options
    Thank you also Dskip for your last input, it is sufficiently simple for me to understand.

• jimithng23
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Do you have any room treatments/acoustic panels? If you have a lot of hard, reflective surfaces, you are going to have a lot of excess higher frequency energy going on in the room.

interesting, no I don't have any treatments or accoustic panels. Yes, all floors are wood....

Guys...wouldn't it make sense, and be more economical to suggest he invested in treating his room? Some simple room treatments could make all the difference in the world and costs astronomically less than chasing the problem by throwing money at amp upgrades.

Just a suggestion, s'all.
    Jeff Rowland CAPRI | Yamaha RX-V3800 | Jeff Rowland Model 6 Mono Blocs | Technics SL1200 MKII | Shure V15VxMR w/ JICO Stylus | Sony SCD-XA5400ES | Monster HTS 2600 | Polk Audio LSi 15 w/VR3 Fortress Mod | REL T/9 x2
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I really think for the listening volume he wants and the type of music he sometimes listens to he'd be better served with more current than the Yamaha can supply. That $2k Yamaha will make a fine preamp.

• damnusernames
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I really think for the listening volume he wants and the type of music he sometimes listens to he'd be better served with more current than the Yamaha can supply. That $2k Yamaha will make a fine preamp.

I take good note of this.

I believe I will try to get my hands on a powerful High current, high everything (price too) power amp to see if it solves my "problem".

I admit there are worst problems in life than "having" to listen to lsim 705 through an as-2000....

Concerning room treatment; my piano sounds fabulous in that room but most piano do like wood.

What does room treatement consist of? Chemicals? carpets?? egg shells foams on the wall??

• Nightfall
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What does room treatement consist of? Chemicals? carpets?? egg shells foams on the wall??

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

I believe you can even give them your room dimensions, furniture setup, etc and they will tell you what they think you should place as far as acoustic panels and bass traps go.

There is still time to leave this forum while you and your wallet are still intact. ;)

• damnusernames
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

I believe you can even give them your room dimensions, furniture setup, etc and they will tell you what they think you should place as far as acoustic panels and bass traps go.

There is still time to leave this forum while you and your wallet are still intact. ;)

Hahaha.

My dear half will eventually confiscate the said wallet...

For my defence though, when I refered to "get my hands on" I meant like a loan from someone I know or trial from a store.

If it helps...then will see.

I can't wait to have my non broken lsim 705.

seems forever.

I am not looking forward for the moving around though...

Will read about Gik, thanks

• Nightfall
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Like Skip says, you can save some money by going DIY or keeping your eye on Craigslist/Audiogon/eBay/etc

That or see if someone on this forum lives near you and has some panels you could work out a deal to borrow for a while.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here is another idea. Do you have another room 10x12 or even a little smaller i.e. bedroom. Set the speakers up and become acquainted with them. A smaller room takes less to push the speakers so you can get a better feel of there sound. This will help you know where you stand and decide if they are truly your cup of tea.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • damnusernames
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Here is another idea. Do you have another room 10x12 or even a little smaller i.e. bedroom. Set the speakers up and become acquainted with them. A smaller room takes less to push the speakers so you can get a better feel of there sound. This will help you know where you stand and decide if they are truly your cup of tea.

Yes that could be worked out, good idea. a tad unpleasant to set up, but well worth it.

Although, I already have ordered my 705 to replace my 705...

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Also check out primacoustic. Since you are in Canada, they are based out of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia. They have really nice room kits for decent prices. of course DIY is cheaper, I highly recommend these. I use their base traps in my theater to help tame a nasty room.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• jimithng23
    Options
    I've seen GIK come highly recommended across other audio communities as well so I chose to work with them on treating my room. Extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

I'd like to DIY as I love projects but I also love my time so to have someone else design and deliver to my doorstep is worth it for me.
    Jeff Rowland CAPRI | Yamaha RX-V3800 | Jeff Rowland Model 6 Mono Blocs | Technics SL1200 MKII | Shure V15VxMR w/ JICO Stylus | Sony SCD-XA5400ES | Monster HTS 2600 | Polk Audio LSi 15 w/VR3 Fortress Mod | REL T/9 x2