Monitor 5 Project

A couple of months ago at GW, I picked up a pair of Monitor 5's and a single Monitor 10 ($25 for all three). One of the 5's had an incorrect driver (MW6521) and one of the Monitor 10 drivers was frozen, so I decided to make a project of the Monitor 5's. The one good driver (MW6500) from the Monitor 10 just happened to be the correct driver for the Monitor 5. So I made the MW swap then a few upgrades.

Using some supplies leftover from other projects; The cabinets were sealed and magnets glued with Power Grab. Divers and MW baskets were Dynamatted. Then a little BH5 behind the MWs and tweets. Then rolled up the polyfill and tacked it above the passives.

Lastly the crossovers were rebuilt using Sonicap & Dayton caps and Mills resistors. This was my first xo rebuild and even though it was a simple one, it was very satisfying. (Thanks to WMG for advice and tips.) I know the caps should be secured with ties but wasn't sure about drilling new holes in the board so they were secured with two sided foam tape and some hot glue. It seems very secure. I've been listening to them through my garage system and they sound very good for a small speaker, although I'll probably move these and look for another project.h594c9pxt456.jpg

5037vikq59l1.jpg

2ajozkgkhhsg.jpg

Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
Tuner: Sansui TU-717
TT: Technics SL-MA1
Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Very nice project. Im sure they sound great with the refresh xo's. Very rewarding when you finally get it done. I am doing a pair of 5jr's right now. Trying to round up stuff as i have some spares & preparing to take on the job.. Congrats on your project. Time for someone to enjoy them..
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very nice. Enjoy them!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    Thanks guys it was and enjoyable project that turned out well. It might be the beginning of a new hobby. I have a few other sets of Polks here. Just have to decide which ones to tear apart.
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    WTG!! Nice job and enjoy them!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2015
    Nice work! I was rocking my 5As on an old JVC receiver (late 70s) all day yesterday. Damn, they're so smoooth! Not the most detail in the world, but you can listen "forever" and they'll NEVER irritate you Peerless, what can I say! Thanks Matt!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    I'm using my old Yamaha RX-V2092 (circa 1998) to power these 5's in the garage. Sounds very pleasant to these old ears.