The future of TV service

I see a lot of companies like Apple, Google, Roku and others are all getting into offering up TV channel services.

From a personal standpoint, I have FIOS with a full HD package, but no premium stations like HBO, Showtime, etc...I only watch a handful of channels like AMC, Discovery, NatTV, TNT, FOX, The CW along with the big 3...ABC, CBS and NBC. I also stream the heck out of Netflix.

If these companies come along and offer up the likes of these channels into one cheaper priced package, i'd most likely stick with FIOS internet and drop the phone and TV. I can do without ESPN and all the annoying "News" channels. MTV has been useless for almost forever. FIOS just dumped Weather Channel. Of course, I NEVER EVER watch any channels that are NOT in HD. This means the first almost 500 channels never get turned to. It's only 501 and above that are HD. This is stuff i'm paying for, but never use.

I do like the way things are moving which will force all of the providers to offer more. You want my money, offer me something better than all of the others.
No excuses!

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I have been using Sling Tv for a month or so it's worth the $20. It has its quirks but its getting better all the time.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I don't know what the future holds, but you can be certain the future will want more of your money for less services.

Streaming everything is going to have it's limits. Personally, I can't even watch most because of the darn commercials every 10 minutes. and most won't let you fast forward around them. Even cable TV is getting like that.

I still have the ultimate control though....it's called the on/off switch. What good is that though, you still pay for the service if you watch it or not.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    If it's not on my DVR, (recorded) or "On Demand" I rarely watch it. I don't do commercials well. ATT Uverse has been pretty good here, and if there's a problem, they fix it quick and adjust billing accordingly! Dang, am I sounding like a commercial now?? :) hope not!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited March 2015
    If it's not on my DVR, (recorded) or "On Demand" I rarely watch it. I don't do commercials well. ATT Uverse has been pretty good here, and if there's a problem, they fix it quick and adjust billing accordingly! Dang, am I sounding like a commercial now?? :) hope not!!

I just fast forwarded past your comments. ;)

Yeah, commercials and such are so out of hand now. You can't even put a Blu Ray in without it forcing you to watch a commercial. Want to watch a 10 second video on the web...you have to sit through a 30 second ad.

I'm almost never current on any TV shows, except Walking Dead. All the others, I wait till the latest season is available on Netflix.
    No excuses!
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I don't do commercials well.

I don't either and I don't know anyone that does like commercials. Why do they even spend the money on commercials anymore. With DVR's and streaming people avoid them like the plague.

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I don't mind those Game of War commercials too much :p
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb

Say what ?? Those commercials are about a game ? LOL
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276

Wait...thats considered a commercial? Not from my vantage point.

No excuses!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Approaching 4 years without TV, and still don't miss it.
    Just think it's silly to pay for a bunch of crap that I don't watch, which towards the end was about 98%!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    DSkip wrote: »
    Who needs tv?

LOL. I have the most basic cable channels ($20.00 a month), and all I watch is the 9PM to 9:30 rerun of Big Bang Theory while I eat dinner. Of course, it is Tivoed to skip the commercials. Other than that, I buy the Blue Rays for HBO shows I like, but I am always a season behind. BFD. Add a Netflix DVD, and movie BRs I buy, and that is it.

On the other hand, the stereo is almost always on.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    BlueFox wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Who needs tv?

LOL. I have the most basic cable channels ($20.00 a month), and all I watch is the 9PM to 9:30 rerun of Big Bang Theory while I eat dinner. Of course, it is Tivoed to skip the commercials. Other than that, I buy the Blue Rays for HBO shows I like, but I am always a season behind. BFD. Add a Netflix DVD, and movie BRs I buy, and that is it.

On the other hand, the stereo is almost always on.

Funny stuff there.....you do realize your turning into your grandparents, right ? lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    If I didn't like hockey and baseball so much, I would drop Directv faster than you could say Netflix
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub