Legacy Audio Focus Crossover Modification Thread

124»

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,621
    OscarJr wrote: »
    As a new Legacy loudspeaker(s) owner, I must admit that the work here looks top notch. I have a brand new set of Legacy Calibres and now I'm wondering how much better they could sound, but then again, I wonder about the factory stuff being very very close to optimum anyways. Hmm.

Welcome to the forum and the Legacy's. Have the Focus 20/20's myself and they aren't going anywhere soon.

VR3/Trey is a master at custom crossovers though his top work doesn't come cheap. He uses only the best and his workmanship is awesome. Maybe something to explore as you get used to the speakers sound. Before diving in to upgraded crossovers, you want to make sure the rest of the system is up to snuff also as everything in the chain will influence the sound you hear.

How you liking those Calibres so far ?
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 464
    Another Focus 20/20 owner here, and of all my speakers, the Legacys keep bringing me back. Getting to the crossovers for a "working man's" (read "limited budget") makeover is on my list for this coming winter.
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,621
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Another Focus 20/20 owner here, and of all my speakers, the Legacys keep bringing me back. Getting to the crossovers for a "working man's" (read "limited budget") makeover is on my list for this coming winter.

Talk to Trey, he knows what he's doing but not sure if he's doing the small stuff anymore. Never hurts to chat with the man though.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,206
    I personally cringe at the amount of resistors in those crossovers. I would imagine that while the sound is refined and pleasing, the difference in the crossover upgrade would not be as substantial as his original Tyler's.

Trey, do you know what ohm rating these are?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • OscarJrOscarJr Posts: 2
    edited October 8
    tonyb wrote: »
    OscarJr wrote: »
    As a new Legacy loudspeaker(s) owner, I must admit that the work here looks top notch. I have a brand new set of Legacy Calibres and now I'm wondering how much better they could sound, but then again, I wonder about the factory stuff being very very close to optimum anyways. Hmm.

Welcome to the forum and the Legacy's. Have the Focus 20/20's myself and they aren't going anywhere soon.

VR3/Trey is a master at custom crossovers though his top work doesn't come cheap. He uses only the best and his workmanship is awesome. Maybe something to explore as you get used to the speakers sound. Before diving in to upgraded crossovers, you want to make sure the rest of the system is up to snuff also as everything in the chain will influence the sound you hear.

How you liking those Calibres so far ?

The Calibres sound freakin awesome. I only use them for music and there's nothing they can't handle. I don't listen to elevator music either. Right now I'm listening to some Napalm Death. :)

uc?export=view&id=0B1gKnCRgylLcOUtjdG81NklXWVU

Signal chain goes as follows:

All electronics protected via Furman M-80X power distribution.

Computer wav files via JRiver Media Center USB digital out->
    Resonessence Labs Concero HD DAC ->
    Behringer UltraGain Pro vacuum tube pre-amp ->
    dbx DriveRack PA+ DSP ->
    Peavey CS800X (400W RMS per channel @ 4 ohms)->
    8 gauge speaker wire with Nakamichi locking banana plugs->
    Legacy Calibres

uc?export=view&id=0B1gKnCRgylLcTm9nQmlwYkJPN3M

I have a very similar setup in my office (minus the 8 awg speaker wires) with Legacy Audio Studio HDs:

uc?export=view&id=0B1gKnCRgylLcYlZxS0JMYWpQbDQ

The Calibres are going to my office very soon as I spend more time there than at home, lol.

After some parametric EQ on the DSP, this is how the frequency response of the Calibre's looks like after compensating for dastardly room modes/cancellations and what not:

uc?export=view&id=0B1gKnCRgylLcUERWWk1oakxyeDQ

124»