Class "A" for $5k

Options
George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
I don't think a lot of things in this hobby or industry are really "night & day", or "mind boggling", "jaw-dropping" and all that.

I DO think that when somebody comes along and rates "borderline full-range Class A" for $5k/pair, it's all the things I mentioned above.

We all owe this guy Sandy Gross and the people at GoldenEar a great deal. The last time somebody ruffled the expensive feathers like this was for $2,199/pair about 25 years ago, so I bought some.

If I wasn't deaf, and had $5k (or $200k) to throw at a pair of speakers right now, I'd be in a GoldenEar showroom.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,132
    Options
    What series are you looking at George?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,094
    Options
    Do tell . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    Options
    Triton 1 I'm sure.
    Supposed to be a great speaker by all reviews.
    I'm looking to get my golden ears on a pair soon to see if they are as good as everyone is saying.
    I just don't like speakers with built in amps.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,094
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The Golden Ear Triton One review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-one-loudspeaker

FWIW, the current issue of Stereophile gushes over the $2200/pr Tekton Enzo. Not sure how it compares to Mr. Gross' offerings -- cut from a very different cloth philosophically, though.
  • maandjojo
    maandjojo Posts: 293
    Options
    There is a thread going in 2 channel audio about the closest speakers you've heard next to the SDA SRS 1.2 tl. Well after having listened to them when they were first showing up in the dealers, but couldn't afford them at the time then muttering around with several other GoldenEar speakers I finally have a pair of Triton 2s' in my home and loving them. They have many of the attributes of the 1.2s', remember the first time you heard them, you heard things you hadn't heard before on tunes that you've listened to hundred times before. A soundstage as deep as it was wide. Well defined imaging.Talk about holographic, close your eyes and think Maggies only with bass you can feel. I don't think the Triton 2s' take you all the way there but the 1s' may at 3 times less size. Yes, I think lightning has struck Sandy Gross and company a second time.

Maandjojo
    Joe
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    Options
    Been keeping tabs on the Triton 5s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_C4J85GURk
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Been wanting to listen to Golden Ear products for a bit. Looks like they will be at AXPONA this year. So it will be nice to check out the Triton 5 and the 1.

http://www.axpona.com/exhibitors_detail.asp?ID=16787
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Demoing some the last week of March on the Central Iowa Home Theater Crawl with AVS Forum.
    Of course, they will be demoed alongside a set of Jim Salk's Exoticas and some JTR HT speakers so...

That being said, I keep wracking my brain on wanting to try out the Tektons too.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Well, the Exoticas are something special....have them play some cuts with voices and horns.

Now the JTR's I've yet to hear but the heavy hitter HT guys seem to call them the cats meow and the lions roar. A pro audio set for the home. Listening to those should be fun!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I have heard the JTRs...the theater that is hosting the GTG has a full compliment including Subs.
    Jim will be demoing the Exoticas himself so I will defer to him on the selections. I am looking forward to meeting him.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I'd like to hear the Tektons -- but then again, I would like to hear the big Golden Ear loudspeakers as well. It's always a good idea to recalibrate one's ears (or, more to the point, the expectations of the CPU power to which those ears funnel their neuronal data!) once in a while.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,361
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Jim will be demoing the Exoticas himself so I will defer to him on the selections. I am looking forward to meeting him.

Seas claims the Exotic drivers sound quality is due to the rare and pricey Alnico magnets. Jim Salk is top shelf.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    Options
    Got to hear the triton 1s and 2s today at ListenUp in Denver. Loved the 1s and am strongly considering them for my upcoming basement finish. Someone needs to buy my LSI gear in the flea market to help start funding this new project.
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    Options
    I'm with you dskip. I definitely prefer Legacy. I will say the Golden Ears didn't have any huge shortcomings, but they didn't jump out as a "must have" speaker for me. Pretty high on the bang for your buck scale though.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,094
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Seas claims the Exotic drivers sound quality is due to the rare and pricey Alnico magnets. Jim Salk is top shelf.

^^^yes^^^ I had a chance to get my ears on these a couple months ago when I was upgrading from Songtowers to Veracity HT-2 TL's

Exotic, indeed . . . You'll dig 'em, guaranteed
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Nothin' rare about AlNiCo magnets at my house...
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    Options
    Went back for my second listening round with the Tritons... brought the wife along and my own music this time. We started with the triton 2s and played some stuff we were both familiar with, got acquainted and then moved into the next room. Now to be fair, the 2s were hooked up to a speaker selector in a much smaller room so the comparison wasn't side by side... with that being said, the 1s were again just incredible. My wife whom normally doesn't care/notice differences thought that they were "awesome" and "I couldn't help but smile when the song really kicked in". For her to say something like that should mean one thing:

When the basement is finished, they will be mine.