Tweeter swap

Options
Hi, I have a pair of RT800 3533. Both tweeters are blown. I have two pairs of RTFXLC 04590 for my 7.1 set up. Is it possible to take 2 of the tweeters from a set of the FX speakers to repair my RT800 speakers? If so, will my FX speakers still be able to work?

Best Answer

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Answer ✓
    Options
    So do they both use the same tweeters? Have you pulled both tweeters to check stock number. If they are different it will move the xo point in most cases and most times that may cause problems with coherent sound. I would not remove them out of the FX's and then leave them open to me that does not make sense. I'd contact Polk Customer service and see if the tweeters are still available if not start looking at eBay to find what you need.

Answers

• Rstrine2007
    Options
    Ok thanks. I will take your advice. Should I use a multimeter to check to see if the crossover is still good?
  • Rstrine2007
    Options
    Also, without pulling the FX speakers tweeter, visually they are not the same
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    RTi A series tweeters:

If I had to or wanted to replace them, am I forced to use the RDO 690s or could I use something else that comes/came w/other Polk speakers?

No "why?" responses please.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Rstrine2007
    Options
    Thank you for the help. I called Polk and they suggested RD2516-1. Gave me a price of 97.00 including TX and ship. for the pair. I installed them. My speakers sound amazing again. By the way I was able to check my xo with a multimeter per the tech's instructions. This forum gave me a good springboard.