Vintage two channel suggestions

jeremymarcinko
jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
edited February 2015 in Vintage Speakers
Okay gents, I am almost done with a small home remodel in which I removed part of a wall to the side of our stairs. This opened up the den to the main living area. Anyways, I am looking to put a fairly inexpensive vintage setup in the den area which now that it is open will provide music for the 1st level of our home. The level of the house is the wife's as far home decor goes. She has agreed to, however, allowing this gear in her space as my reward for doing this renovation. She is perfectly happy with music out of the TV speakers, so getting a small hifi in her space took some convincing. That said this equipment will mainly be background music only. I want it to sound decent, but mainly it needs to look great. I am thinking of bookshelf speakers or small floorstanders, and a vintage receiver or integrated. I have browsed the local Craig's list and found some items that may fit the bill, but wanted your alls suggestions of what to look for. Budget is around 500 or less for speakers and amplification. So what are some of the best looking/sound items I should keep an eye out for. I am really liking the black aluminum faces like on the realistics .
thanks in advance.
oh yeah, I found one of these close by, any good at all? STA-78
tan0o31p2bm8.jpg
Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    That Realistic is a handsome unit.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • telemike
    telemike Posts: 115
    Realistic still a good bargain buy. Most were made by Foster Electronics (Fostex)
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited February 2015
    Very nice. That & a pair of 5a or 7 Monitor on stands/shelf would sound very nice ..... I have never heard this receiver. Maybe others will chime in
    Randy/Maine
  • Yeah. I think it looks nice. The ad has it bundled with some speakers and a CD player that I am really not interested in for $150. Apparently everything works and is in great condition.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • boston1450
    edited February 2015
    I see it listed in another ad also. Wood box. Sweet looking unit. If thats actual picture
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    That Realistic wouldn't be a bad choice, I'd opine -- modest & low powered, but nice looking and fairly well built.

032.jpg
    source: http://radioshackcatalogs.com 1978

... but, to answer the original question -- Yamaha :- )

... and, oh yes, I am biased.

16598078796_b646603991_b.jpgDSC_0187 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

(and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 7 or ads L-710 would be fine choices, IMO, for loudspeakers)

For the Realistic, see if you can find a pair of EPI 100 speakers (or, actually, pretty much any "real" EPI/Epicure speakers).

• boston1450 wrote: »
    I see it listed in another ad also. Wood box. Sweet looking unit. If thats actual picture
    No not actual photo. Here is the link to the ad. His photos are terrible, but maybe worth a drive to see what's up, it's not far from me. http://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/4885065616.html
  • Yes I really like the vintage Yamaha stuff too, but nothing decent near me at this time.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    ^ then talk MrHardy out of one of his collection :)
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Dang Mr. Hardy, talk about silver faced "bling". NICE...
  • mhardy6647
    Yeah -- I have a certain nonlinearity for the late 1970s Yamaha stuff.
    There are a couple of other Yamaha pieces floatin' around the ol' shanty, too.

Here's one of 'em... slummin' with a Pioneer on the back wall.

16335232805_ea781758f6_b.jpgSemi-monstrous 1970s soiled state receivers by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Ironically, the first piece of modern hifi equipment I bought new, from Soundscape in B-more -- a Yamaha CA-610II integrated amplifier -- is not on the shelf.
  • What will be your primary source?
    Citation 1, WOPL 400, Dynaco ST70, Pioneer SA9100, 5580, Marantz 4400
    ADS 1590, AR9, Altec Santiago, Apogee Slant 6, KEF 104/2, Tannoy Mayfair, Allison One, Dahlquist M-907, JBL 4313b
    Technics SL1015, Denon DP-62L w/103
  • At this point, probably just a cd player and turntable.
  • I actually came to the forum today to start a thread in hopes mhardy would res[pond to. now I'm distracted and will start that one in a minute.
    I recently purchased one of these. well...,. i purchased a pair of mach 1's and this receiver came with them for $100. i also picked up a couple pairs of other speakers that weekend too; one being a pair of EPI 180's. This is the first pair of speakers I hooked the receiver to. Sounds pretty darn good for what it is! I wanted the mach 1's because they are some of my earliest memories of what i called Hi-Fi when i was between 10 and 12 years old. A buddy's dad had a pair with a huge Sansui receiver. When i was 12 that was FREAKING AWESOME! Well anyway, got the receiver and it looks cool as.... well, COOL. I know people will think i am crazy but it sounds pretty good. (sorry MHardy) but better than any Yamaha receiver i have ever heard tom my ears. I have picked up several yammy's over the years because they are absolutely beautiful to look at. When i first got several i didn't listen to them for months. i was content to look. I then hooked them up one weekend when i was bored, and man i could not get rid of them fast enough. i know others love them but my ears do not. this little realistic is pretty cool though and sounds tolerable. will probably sell mine soon as i have no need for it and only wanted the speakers, but don't discount the old Realistic stuff for a nice budget system. They had some pretty decent gear back in the day.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • boston1450
    edited February 2015
    x7yybqey7xww.jpg
    Yup. Those darn Yammysmv0abxb6hncw.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • Well some bookshelf speakers have been purchased. They are not vintage but are good looking and were priced right. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy with the realistic.
  • mhardy6647
    "Not vintage" is OK.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2015
    DSkip wrote: »
    What are the bookshelves? Most receivers from that era do not work well with the vast improvements of tweeter technology in modern speakers.

Really? I ordered a new pair of the Fluance XL7s. I do not expect them to blow me away, but as I said this is going to be for background music primarily/only and they look decent. The guy with the realistic just got back to me and said that the receiver is in mint condition and just had it serviced. Which included all bulb replacement, adjustment of the tuner, as well as a full inspection and cleaning.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited February 2015
    Yamaha CA-1010, pure class A until 20 watts at 8 ohms and a very good phono stage. 100 watts class B at 8 ohm and 120 watts class B at 4 ohm. I wouldn't stack anything on top of it if you want to use it in class A mode, bugger gets HOT.

Yamaha_CA-1010.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall wrote: »
    Yamaha CA-1010, pure class A until 20 watts at 8 ohms and a very good phono stage. 100 watts class B at 8 ohm and 120 watts class B at 4 ohm. I wouldn't stack anything on top of it if you want to use it in class A mode, bugger gets HOT.

Yamaha_CA-1010.jpg
    I like it...I used a Yamaha M60 power amp for several years, it also would warm up the room in class A mode. A very nice sounding amp though. I have been looking for a decent vintage yamaha locally, but to no avail. And I really don't don't want to roll the dice with eBay or other internet auction/classifieds sites at this time.

• I have been considering that Pioneer pre...it's pretty...but remember this is the wife's space so the equipment has to be visually pleasing and kind of discrete. Going separates may not get the waf. The rotel and sonance are not visually appealing. I do like the Hk though and the Nak with the Nak pushing the boundaries of what is or isn't visually pleasing. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • I'm just too dang impatient. Looks as if there will be nothing vintage in this vintage two channel setup. Really wanted a pretty Yamaha but couldn't wait. Skip got me thinking that the 22w realistic may not have enough for the 84db sensitivity bookshelf speakers that are on their way. I read mixed reviews on the new Onkyo integrated that I purchased, but I have been really intrigued by it or maybe just curious. I think it will all work out though, given the relatively little money invested.
  • Remember, this does not need to be a once and for all purchase either. If you are intrigued by the realistic, go for it. It is a good looking unit. You can always turn around and sell it if you end up going with something else. The fact that it has been services is very valuable. Also, receiver vs. integrated amp is something to keep in mind and if you want her (she wants)to have the tuner section.
    Citation 1, WOPL 400, Dynaco ST70, Pioneer SA9100, 5580, Marantz 4400
    ADS 1590, AR9, Altec Santiago, Apogee Slant 6, KEF 104/2, Tannoy Mayfair, Allison One, Dahlquist M-907, JBL 4313b
    Technics SL1015, Denon DP-62L w/103
  • New toys are scheduled to arrive today...yippee. Got an Onkyo A-9050 Intergrated and some Fluance XL7S bookshelfs. I am mildly excited about it, I have been wanting to give these two budget friendly pieces a listen for a while now.
  • ihxn7zjt2vqr.jpg
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2015
    Don't really know yet. Just got it hooked up, then had to get to the gym. I hooked my phone to it briefly and played some flac just to be sure it worked, but I want to give it a full run through after dinner. Gonna hook the project up later, and maybe a CD player...the Wolfson DAC is supposed to be alright, but I'll see.
    Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Looks sharp....nice job. Hope it sounds just as good.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Using a Toshiba hd DVD player as a transport, at the moment.. But nice clear, pleasing sound, it's not doing anything wrong at this point. The quality of the bookies is very good, but the build quality of the onk was very surprising, in a good way. I never expected too see a relatively big heavy extruded heat sink in there, and largish tranny given its 75wpc.
    gywvikzcmyql.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2015
    I've oft opined that, of the Japanese massmarket brands, Onkyo, pretty much alone, stuck to its guns and never really stopped making decent hifi hardware. Yamaha has run hot and cold ove the past three-plus decades (as has "Marantz", a name that got bought and sold a couple of times in that timeframe).
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited February 2015
    Some photos of the project that earned me the right to put some gear upstairs. Almost done still have to install handrail and iron balusters And some trim.

qua78vqbm5gt.jpg
    p8ofu4jexdew.jpg
    2e308wbg7qcc.jpg59n0g64rtvsi.jpg